E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Injen CAI (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948893)

Zatarain 10-05-2012 03:51 PM

Injen CAI

Whats up guys. Ive been doing a lot of maintenance repairs on my car and am looking to finally buy an intake. I know im not going to get much power but im getting it mainly for the sound and gas mileage i guess. I was just wondering what are some of your guys' opinions on this intake from mod bargains.

http://www.modbargains.com/Injen-Int...-325i-328i.htm

zander271 10-05-2012 04:22 PM

I think Aggie with the Dinan long tube, with all of his mods and the Shark tune got 6HP. This is basicly the same thing. Thats around $50 per HP. I would go for some bimmerbrake headers which net 10-15HP at $250. Thats $10-$16 per HP.

Long story intakes are a waste of money IMO spend it else where or keep it in the bank.

EverydayGetaway 10-05-2012 04:57 PM

Do a search next time. The stock intake is more than likely going to give you both better mileage and better performance. This isn't an economy car, parts on BMW's are designed to be efficient you can't do simple "upgrades" and get real results. If you just want it for sound, go for it, but don't expect any gains without a tune, even then it's not worth the money, you'd never feel the difference.

Zatarain 10-05-2012 06:42 PM

I figured i wouldnt get much or any power from it. Probably gonna take my money to Tijuana Mexico and hit up the strip club lol.

katu 10-05-2012 06:54 PM

I don't know if BMW Performance Intakes are still available or not. If I remember correctly BMW claimed a 4hp gain and some reported as much as 7hp gained based on a dyno before/after. It sounds nice too, IMO.

illestminimike 10-05-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zatarain (Post 14791885)
I figured i wouldnt get much or any power from it. Probably gonna take my money to Tijuana Mexico and hit up the strip club lol.

Much better idea.

Zatarain 10-06-2012 12:36 AM

I guess this thread was a fail haha!

Russian172 10-06-2012 01:09 AM

Or buy it it for me as a gift braa

Zatarain 10-06-2012 02:43 PM

Haha, right away man dont trip! Ey but i was thinkin its probably better to upgrade the suspension since theres not much you can do for power on a 323, short of a 5,000 dollar fu**in supercharger.

Russian172 10-06-2012 02:58 PM

If I had 300 $ to spend I'd put it towards 1/3 of cup kit or equivalent

ModBargains 12-06-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zatarain (Post 14791479)
Whats up guys. Ive been doing a lot of maintenance repairs on my car and am looking to finally buy an intake. I know im not going to get much power but im getting it mainly for the sound and gas mileage i guess. I was just wondering what are some of your guys' opinions on this intake from mod bargains.

http://www.modbargains.com/Injen-Int...-325i-328i.htm

The Injen Intake Systems for the E46s are a really clean and simple and provide a nice little boost in power! It will also help to improve gas mileage over time while giving the car a more aggressive tone. To top it off, we are currently running some E46Fanatics promotions on Injen Intakes!

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Pr...-rd1110p-2.jpg

Zell 12-06-2012 05:01 PM

Go Dinan if you are gonna spend $300 on an intake. It's a bit too late now for the BMW Performance Intake, unless they go on sale again.

Chrsb5 12-06-2012 05:28 PM

Go for it!! Looks like a nice intake and modbargains.com is pretty good too. I've purchased a number of things from them. Don't let the lack of(meaningful) HP gains dissuade you either, it looks nice on a clean and tidy engine bay, sounds good and feels great to finally start modding after getting maintenance out of the way.

ModBargains 12-06-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrsb5 (Post 14957738)
Go for it!! Looks like a nice intake and modbargains.com is pretty good too. I've purchased a number of things from them. Don't let the lack of(meaningful) HP gains dissuade you either, it looks nice on a clean and tidy engine bay, sounds good and feels great to finally start modding after getting maintenance out of the way.

:thumbsup:

aahmed2016 12-06-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zatarain (Post 14793370)
Haha, right away man dont trip! Ey but i was thinkin its probably better to upgrade the suspension since theres not much you can do for power on a 323, short of a 5,000 dollar fu**in supercharger.

If you do do the suspension job, here's my suggestion. KYB struts all around, and then Tein H Tech lowering springs, The KYB's give the car a nice stiff feel around corners, and the Tein's drop the car nicely, as well as lower yoru risk of rolling your car over :) :thumbsup: :str8pimpi

EverydayGetaway 12-06-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aahmed2016 (Post 14958314)
If you do do the suspension job, here's my suggestion. KYB struts all around, and then Tein H Tech lowering springs, The KYB's give the car a nice stiff feel around corners, and the Tein's drop the car nicely, as well as lower yoru risk of rolling your car over :) :thumbsup: :str8pimpi

KYB's are HORRIBLE imo. I've seen them fail catastrophically twice. Once on a friends Honda Civic and once on my previous 318, I would never put anything from KYB near one of my cars.

peytonracer4 12-07-2012 05:08 AM

i had kyb shocks on my 318 for a while. they were... fine. idk. they were significantly better than the original blown shocks that were 22 years old. but they were not sporty in any way.
for the price i'd buy them again to put on a non sports car. but i did not have them for a long time so maybe they have problems, idk.

aahmed2016 12-07-2012 09:14 AM

What peyton said, maybe they felt better to me because of me getting used to the feeling of blown shocks. Its lasting, but EverydayGetaway, what do you suggest?

EverydayGetaway 12-07-2012 12:31 PM

H&R cup kit, vogtland cup kit, Koni SRT would all be better choices IMO. The KYB's on my buddies Civic only lasted him about 5k miles before one was completely blown and my 318 had 2 that were completely gone when I bought it (one front strut basically had no oil left in it when I changed it out, and one rear shock was stuck closed). The PO claimed they had only been on there for about 10k miles, if that's true then those shocks have a horrible failure rate, it could be that the OP had neglected it for far longer then that, but again, I wouldn't chance it with suspension components. I replaced the shocks/struts on that 318 with a Vogtland Junior cup kit and had it on there for 10-15k miles without issues and the ride was pretty awesome for $400 especially since it's from a German company that stands behind their product.

ModBargains 12-15-2012 11:49 AM

I have had many customers run with a nice Koni Adjustable or SRT with a simple Eibach Spring or H&R Sport Spring and have great success. I have been in a few of those cars, and they drive and handle great! Its also nice because its not going to break that bank upgrading your suspension and for a nice riding, clean drop its a great way to go! For a pre-packaged system the H&R Cup Kit is also popular! Let me know if I can be of any help at all!