E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Picking out an engagement ring together? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=948953)

agent050 10-05-2012 11:26 PM

Picking out an engagement ring together?
 
Hi, Fanatics!

6.5 years and I feel like I can't live without my girlfriend. I will be popping the big question soon, but I have a question for those of you who have experience at this.

I don't need help with any ideas on how to pop the question, but I do need some help clearing some things up with process. I want my soon-to-be fiancÚ to love her ring, so do I first take her to a jeweler to pick out her ring and then pop the question when she least expects it! Or, should I pick out the ring alone and then pop the question and hope se likes her ring?

Thank you all in advance!

saxual328ci 10-06-2012 12:28 AM

Do something that you both enjoy doing together. If she is high maintenance then go all out. If not, keep it simple and rememberable. Get a friend or mother to help you pick out. Or just trust your instincts and pick out one.

Take her to diner, then walk along the waterfront, pop the question.

GRIFFIN 10-06-2012 12:36 AM

Just bought mine. You're fvcked. Find out what she wants and put your twist on it. Remember she wears it not you. I asked my girls father, earned big respect

Bimmer4Lyfe 10-06-2012 12:42 AM

It has to come from you only...
Help is weak, as well as her helping pick it out.

If she finds out you had help, it will let some air out of her tires, so to speak.

The gesture of choosing the ring on your own is as big as asking to marry her and
Committing to a lifetime of love, support and Faithfulness.

However, advice of a reputable and hopefully family owned jeweler is fine... And they will know how to ask you the right questions that will help you pick a timeless piece for her... Or maybe even design one... Which is even bigger... You want her to melt when you ask her, design a one of a kind ring specifically for her!

Speaking in confidence to her father first, asking for his blessing... Is also a wise idea
And will set a lasting, good & mutually respective tone with your future in laws, which is more important than most give credit.

KOpower 10-06-2012 01:05 AM

shop ring together - women are obsessed with their ring :tsk:

GlockMan 10-06-2012 06:07 AM

Figure out a way to find out what she likes without any hint that she will get it.

Pop in a store while at the mall to look at watches or something and find the ugliest engagement ring and make fun of it. Then ask her which one she thinks is the prettiest.

Tell her not to read in to it.

Then surprise her later.

Or have one of your friends ask her for help buying one for his girlfriend.

I just think its more special when its a surprise.

JMO

NOVAbimmer 10-06-2012 08:42 AM

take her shopping to find things she likes. And not just a "hey lets go shop for engagement rings". Figure out the style she wants. One stone? Three stone? Antique? Modern? Very plain or ornate?

Once you know what she likes, you can find something that will suit her.

v8 5 10-06-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 14792696)
Pop in a store while at the mall to look at watches or something and find the ugliest engagement ring and make fun of it. Then ask her which one she thinks is the prettiest.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/Squinty500.png

NOVAbimmer 10-06-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe (Post 14792507)
It has to come from you only...
Help is weak, as well as her helping pick it out.

If she finds out you had help, it will let some air out of her tires, so to speak.

The gesture of choosing the ring on your own is as big as asking to marry her and
Committing to a lifetime of love, support and Faithfulness.

However, advice of a reputable and hopefully family owned jeweler is fine... And they will know how to ask you the right questions that will help you pick a timeless piece for her... Or maybe even design one... Which is even bigger... You want her to melt when you ask her, design a one of a kind ring specifically for her!

Speaking in confidence to her father first, asking for his blessing... Is also a wise idea
And will set a lasting, good & mutually respective tone with your future in laws, which is more important than most give credit.

are you married?

and two, what if her family doesn't own a jeweler? Why would some random jeweler know better about her tastes than her, her friends, or her family?

VaderDave 10-06-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 14792831)
are you married?

and two, what if her family doesn't own a jeweler? Why would some random jeweler know better about her tastes than her, her friends, or her family?

Wait...isn't this a BMW forum? Doesn't everyone here own his own jeweler? It's practically required--like having your own cobbler and valet.

Shaban 10-06-2012 10:13 AM

Me and my fiance had planned our engagement. So I picked out the engagement ring and sent her a picture to make sure she loved it before I bought it.

Bimmer4Lyfe 10-06-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 14792831)
are you married?

and two, what if her family doesn't own a jeweler? Why would some random jeweler know better about her tastes than her, her friends, or her family?

I didn't say her family's jewelry store... I said "a" family owned jewelry store...
As opposed to some cookie cutter chain store with sales people only interested in commissions rather than the overall happiness of the customer and reputation of the store....

A reputable jeweler that has been in biz a long time, makes it their business to help people find timeless pieces that will suit someone, based on q&A experience. They know the trends and what's In or out for contemporary pieces and what will weather time past trends.

Or at minimum... Go in to said jewelry store and ask them how to extract this info without tipping her off... Again, they are experts in this very subject and hopefully have several years experience doing this for many people.

As for me... If that matters, or you can't already derive that answer by the comments I'm making on the subject.... Yes.

agent050 10-06-2012 09:19 PM

All of you certainly shed some light on the matter, so thank you kindly for you time and the good read.

I will be going to a local family owned jewelry store simply because I support family owned businesses and because I feel that my experience will be more about me than the salesman's commission.

Today, I saw my girlfriend reading a magazine and one of the pages I saw rings and earrings. So, I asked her if she liked the round or squared rings--she said squared. Now to gather more intel for the next couple of weeks. I will then purchase something to her liking and ask her stepdad for his approval. As for asking the question, I will probably have a romantic candlelight dinner in a nice suite (I will try to get tickets to a concert in another state as an excuse) followed by getting on one knee and asking her to be my best friend and partner for the rest of my life.

Do you suggest I ask her mom too since she raised my girlfriend on her own for years before marrying my girl's stepdad? Should I call her mom and ask to meet with her and her husband and ask them both at the same time?

Thanks again in advance, Fanatics.

KOpower 10-07-2012 12:30 AM

I think maybe ask the mom as well since u r already approaching step dad

Sounds good and good luck with it all

I think square diamonds are called a princess cut -

Chris3Duke 10-07-2012 09:54 AM

It never hurts to look at rings together at some point to get a sense of what she likes, especially in the cut of the diamond (round, princess cut, asscher, etc.), the materials for the ring (yellow gold, white gold, platinum, etc.), and other diamonds.

For me, I got a sense of the diamond cut and material (she liked Platinum, surprise). Then I chose everything else. However, I let her custom design a bespoke wedding ring (not the engagement ring). So I picked one, she picked one.

I think chicks love it when you make some of the choices, as it's a gift.

Bimmer4Lyfe 10-08-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent050 (Post 14793992)
All of you certainly shed some light on the matter, so thank you kindly for you time and the good read.

I will be going to a local family owned jewelry store simply because I support family owned businesses and because I feel that my experience will be more about me than the salesman's commission.

Today, I saw my girlfriend reading a magazine and one of the pages I saw rings and earrings. So, I asked her if she liked the round or squared rings--she said squared. Now to gather more intel for the next couple of weeks. I will then purchase something to her liking and ask her stepdad for his approval. As for asking the question, I will probably have a romantic candlelight dinner in a nice suite (I will try to get tickets to a concert in another state as an excuse) followed by getting on one knee and asking her to be my best friend and partner for the rest of my life.

Do you suggest I ask her mom too since she raised my girlfriend on her own for years before marrying my girl's stepdad? Should I call her mom and ask to meet with her and her husband and ask them both at the same time?

Thanks again in advance, Fanatics.


Good thinking

Best wishes!

M3Inline6 10-08-2012 10:31 AM

Interesting thread. I was thinking about this last night.

agent050 10-09-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe (Post 14796399)
Good thinking

Best wishes!

Thank you, sir.

agent050 10-09-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris3Duke (Post 14794665)
It never hurts to look at rings together at some point to get a sense of what she likes, especially in the cut of the diamond (round, princess cut, asscher, etc.), the materials for the ring (yellow gold, white gold, platinum, etc.), and other diamonds.

For me, I got a sense of the diamond cut and material (she liked Platinum, surprise). Then I chose everything else. However, I let her custom design a bespoke wedding ring (not the engagement ring). So I picked one, she picked one.

I think chicks love it when you make some of the choices, as it's a gift.

Makes complete sense. I mentioned it to her that if we decide to get married sooner or later or at all, I would like her to have a ring she would be happy with; so I suggested we go look at some rings together. Her persona definitely got super happy and excited and today she woke up all smiles--ha, ha.

I did some research on family owned jewelry stores in my area, and we will be visiting them next week. I will then decide on a ring and surprise her soon.

agent050 10-09-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOpower (Post 14794245)
I think maybe ask the mom as well since u r already approaching step dad

Sounds good and good luck with it all

I think square diamonds are called a princess cut -

I agree. I will sit her mom and stepdad down and ask them for their blessings as soon as I have the ring in the next couple of weeks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use