E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   steering rack (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=949186)

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo 10-07-2012 05:10 PM

steering rack
 
hi so ive been trying to fix steering wheel vibrations and a couple days ago my car started shaking at 60 mph. I lifted the car and both front tires move a good amount from left to right. looks like steering rack and tie rod ends. if both sides failed at the same time does that mean the steering rack is crap and needs to be replaced? or is it the tie rod ends?

Alex323Ci 10-07-2012 07:02 PM

that's more likely the tie rods/ball joints. I would check these before commiting to it being the whole rack assembly

WDE46 10-07-2012 07:58 PM

Have you replaced the tierods before. If not the tierod joints are done probably. Mine have play at 66K miles.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo 10-26-2012 03:26 PM

Being the idiot that I am I had my cars aux power on when I checked the steering rack. with the car off this time... I get very slight left right play on both tires, if I rock the wheel back and forth you can hear a clunk coming from somewhere behind the wheel well towards the back of the car? No idea where its coming from. I cant get under the car and shake the wheel enough to make the clunk. any ideas? up down motion is solid, only happens left right.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo 10-26-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 14795651)
Have you replaced the tierods before. If not the tierod joints are done probably. Mine have play at 66K miles.

I try to move the tierods but they feel solid, could it still mean they can have gone bad?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App

Mango 10-26-2012 03:28 PM

There's roughly 2,000 balljoints in the front end. Any one of them fails and you will have this movement you describe. You need to find out whats broken. Your control arm bushings are likely shot as well.

What's your budget like?

WDE46 10-26-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 14849609)
There's roughly 2,000 balljoints in the front end. Any one of them fails and you will have this movement you describe. You need to find out whats broken. Your control arm bushings are likely shot as well.

What's your budget like?

You can do everything for about $500. FCA,FCAB, RTAB, Tie rods, steering guibo.

Mango 10-26-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 14849650)
You can do everything for about $500. FCA,FCAB, RTAB, Tie rods, steering guibo.

More like $535 + tax. (best case scenario for EVERY part and KNOWING how to shop) you'd have to request specific things from specific vendors. But yeah.. roughly that much. don't forget end links, reinforcement plates, and strut bearings. (I'd also do wheel bolts)

Mango 10-26-2012 03:43 PM

And if you're doing strut bearings.. might as well do the struts... and springs.. and spring pads. might as well do rotors and brakes if needed, caliper bushings. depending on mileage.. might as well do front wheel bearings... thats it.. i promise!

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo 10-27-2012 09:18 AM

ive done rotors brakes control arms and bushings and wheel hubs all recently. i have a guibo i havent took the time to replace yet since my old one doesnt rly look that bad. replacing my springs, struts, reinforcement plates is close to $1000 isnt it?

$180/strut is over $500 already ;_;

Mango 10-27-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Post 14850933)
ive done rotors brakes control arms and bushings and wheel hubs all recently. i have a guibo i havent took the time to replace yet since my old one doesnt rly look that bad. replacing my springs, struts, reinforcement plates is close to $1000 isnt it?

$180/strut is over $500 already ;_;

yep.

why did you replace your hubs? usually people dont replace those unless they're replacing the wheel bearings (which you'd have to)

are you saying you replaced your wheel bearings? just making sure

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo 10-27-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 14851028)
yep.

why did you replace your hubs? usually people dont replace those unless they're replacing the wheel bearings (which you'd have to)

are you saying you replaced your wheel bearings? just making sure


yes, the bearings come packed inside the hubs


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use