E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil leak and filter cap replaced (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=949188)

bimmer2u 10-07-2012 05:17 PM

Oil leak and filter cap replaced

I have an oil leak that I am trying to figure out. I have read several posts on replacing the oil filter housing gasket but before I take that task, I thought I would see if anyone else is getting oil on the top of the oil cap and PS resevoir too. I have purchased a new cap from my dealer and cleaned it up but the next couple of days, oil is over them again. I am looking to make sure it isn't something else before spending 4 hrs replacing the gasket.

Suggestions welcomed of course.

dmax 10-07-2012 05:51 PM

Many have put the o-ring on the oil filter cap the wrong place. It sits in a groove about 1/2" below the flange. Some add an o-ring when one is already there. You just should have one. If it's been misshapen, just get another one...probably need to buy a new filter, but maybe dealer will have it by itself.

Same thing with PS reservoir cap. There is a $2 gasket that's replaceable. You have to trust me you have a gasket...it will be invisible, but if you use a knife carefully, you can get under it. Also, check the hoses beneath PS reservoir too...they leak all the time...new screw clamps should fix that up.

Oil from the filter cap is common(ish) because of what I said. Don't crank the cap down too hard either. I don't think you needed a new cap, but it won't hurt. I hope it's just the o-ring in the wrong place...make sure it's in the groove.

bimmer2u 10-07-2012 07:02 PM

filter cap o-ring in the groove

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14795425)
Many have put the o-ring on the oil filter cap the wrong place. It sits in a groove about 1/2" below the flange. Some add an o-ring when one is already there. You just should have one. If it's been misshapen, just get another one...probably need to buy a new filter, but maybe dealer will have it by itself.

Same thing with PS reservoir cap. There is a $2 gasket that's replaceable. You have to trust me you have a gasket...it will be invisible, but if you use a knife carefully, you can get under it. Also, check the hoses beneath PS reservoir too...they leak all the time...new screw clamps should fix that up.

Oil from the filter cap is common(ish) because of what I said. Don't crank the cap down too hard either. I don't think you needed a new cap, but it won't hurt. I hope it's just the o-ring in the wrong place...make sure it's in the groove.

The o-ring is in the correct groove. I don't know how people could miss that one but I guess it happens. I replace the vanos and vcg about a year ago so I know it's not the vcg. I may have tighted it too tight so I will check it again.

When I had the car in for a BMW recall on the rear tail light issue in Feb, they said the Oil filter housing was leaking and they wanted $1300 to fix. I just didn't think the lower gasket leak could get up to the top of the oil filter cap. It is oil and not PS fluid for sure.

dmax 10-07-2012 07:13 PM

Well, it's hard to say if it's oil or PS fluid when it's all filthy. But the ofhg wouldn't leak to the top.

It could also be the vanos oil line I suppose...you try tightening that? Also, make sure the inside of the oil filter is clean...and also, I don't think this matters, but make sure it has it's o-rings at the bottom of the filter cap.

OFHG is a simple repair...and a $10 part. For $1300, I'd drive to Dayton, do it, take you to dinner, and drive back!

bimmer2u 10-07-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14795583)
Well, it's hard to say if it's oil or PS fluid when it's all filthy. But the ofhg wouldn't leak to the top.

It could also be the vanos oil line I suppose...you try tightening that? Also, make sure the inside of the oil filter is clean...and also, I don't think this matters, but make sure it has it's o-rings at the bottom of the filter cap.

OFHG is a simple repair...and a $10 part. For $1300, I'd drive to Dayton, do it, take you to dinner, and drive back!

LOL. Yeah, I can order anything off the $1 menu for dinner, right? The new cap had all the o-rings installed, including the two green one on the filter stem. I will try to tighten the banjo bolt on the vanos line and double check the o-ring on the cap. The groove is pretty big so it not hard to put the oring in the right place.

bimmer2u 10-07-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14795583)

I FOUND THE LEAK! Because you told me an oil gasket leak on the OFH usually is not on top, I cleaned, search, and watched until I saw a drip. The leak is coming from the oil line banjo crush washer on the side of the vanos. I will pick them up tomorrow and replace.

Question, why does RealOEM only show one washer for the Vanos connection under the cylinder head section?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...11&fg=15&hl=63

Thanks for your help.

dmax 10-08-2012 05:42 AM

There are two crush washers on either side of banjo bolt...under parts listing, it will show 4 washers needed.

Use something to stop the vanos line from pushing into the cylinder head...you want it pointing straight back. When you do ofhg, which I'm sure you will someday, replace the vanos oil line.

Glad you found it. Did you try just tightening it a bit...again, keeping alignment the same?

bimmer2u 10-08-2012 05:12 PM

Leak stopped and made sure it was lined up. Your right about having to eventually do OFH gasket put I may trade it in for a newer model before then.