E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Alkaline water (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=949353)

MachRc 10-08-2012 05:07 PM

Alkaline water

So a friend of mine truly believes that she/he is getting health benefits from alkaline water, I google it plus "scam" and it definitely seems like a scam that old people that are worried about dying go after.

Anyone even heard of this stuff or know anyone who drinks it?

cowmoo32 10-08-2012 05:15 PM

Alkaline, pH > 7. I see no reason why that would be healthy/healthier. It's 100% placebo if anything is actually happening.

Gheybe 10-08-2012 05:19 PM

i did research on this for over 15 years and i can tell you nothing about this.

rohde88 10-08-2012 05:29 PM

scam, they sell it in the gym. When pressed for health benefits, the lady in sports bra could only say, Its base! neutralizes acid!

eee4666 10-08-2012 05:29 PM

http://skeptoid.com/mobile/4139

Same people who wear Power Balance.

MachRc 10-08-2012 05:52 PM

http://alkapihuntingtonbeach.com/con...es/phchart.jpg
my friend basically gave me this chart(looks exact) and bought a 15-20 $ 5 gallon of this stuff from some water store far away, which I then fought over an hour about how stupid I thought it was.

I mean if it did work, we'd all be drinking it over those "artisian" water.

Man some people are so gulliable. My relative back in korea used to buy a 40$ small bottle every other week that supposedly made cluster water. a few drips into a gallon of water in the fridge.

she was oldddd and into these miraculous products so she can live along time.

now she's dead!

cowmoo32 10-08-2012 06:03 PM

:lmao: Since when are citrus fruits basic? You'll notice that all the healthy foods are grouped into the alkaline section and unhealthy foods in the acidic section, so someone who has no idea what they're looking at will see the water in with the healthy foods and assume it's good for you.

Gheybe 10-08-2012 06:12 PM

HAHAHAHH a lime is over there hahahahaaha

MDydinanM 10-08-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachRc (Post 14797793)
http://alkapihuntingtonbeach.com/con...es/phchart.jpg
my friend basically gave me this chart(looks exact) and bought a 15-20 $ 5 gallon of this stuff from some water store far away, which I then fought over an hour about how stupid I thought it was.

I mean if it did work, we'd all be drinking it over those "artisian" water.

Man some people are so gulliable. My relative back in korea used to buy a 40$ small bottle every other week that supposedly made cluster water. a few drips into a gallon of water in the fridge.

she was oldddd and into these miraculous products so she can live along time.

now she's dead!

It's amazing what people believe. So your friend has a chart with a lot of fancy colors and has the term "pH" on it. You should ask your friend if that chart grants legitimacy to the product - especially if anyone can make it. Lets apply some critical thinking skills here....

Here's a test. Make up a product, and make a chart. Then go tell you friend about it, and show your friend the chart (without revealing that you made it up). See how gullible your friend is.

k2pilot 10-08-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 14797813)
:lmao: Since when are citrus fruits basic? You'll notice that all the healthy foods are grouped into the alkaline section and unhealthy foods in the acidic section, so someone who has no idea what they're looking at will see the water in with the healthy foods and assume it's good for you.

I actually remember reading something about this, while lemons are acidic, apparently after your body processes them they cause the bodies PH to raise.

Or so I read, though it seems likely it could have been propaganda to go with this alkaline nonsense. In the end it just said it's good to put a lemon in your water.

Drex 10-09-2012 12:51 AM

That chart is correct and it is ignorant to assume that eating citrus fruit will cause your PH to become more acidic, while in fact it does the opposite. I bet the same people that laugh at that chart are the ones that eat primarily off the left side of it as well.

It is not by coincidence that the majority of the american diet is acidic while health problems are epidemic. There is much profit to be made off of the ignorant, unhealthy masses that consume acidic foods all day.

If any of you garden you should know the importance of PH balance to garden plants. If the PH is off, all kinds of problems and deficiencies arise and it is no different with animals and humans. If your diet is too acidic then your body is unable to absorb certain nutrients and minerals. If your body is in a constant state of imbalance and malnourishment, you open the door to a variety of diseases.

mash20 10-09-2012 01:04 AM

I like how distilled water has a pH of 5

benjamin1 10-09-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drex (Post 14798590)
That chart is correct and it is ignorant to assume that eating citrus fruit will cause your PH to become more acidic, while in fact it does the opposite. I bet the same people that laugh at that chart are the ones that eat primarily off the left side of it as well.

It is not by coincidence that the majority of the american diet is acidic while health problems are epidemic. There is much profit to be made off of the ignorant, unhealthy masses that consume acidic foods all day.

If any of you garden you should know the importance of PH balance to garden plants. If the PH is off, all kinds of problems and deficiencies arise and it is no different with animals and humans. If your diet is too acidic then your body is unable to absorb certain nutrients and minerals. If your body is in a constant state of imbalance and malnourishment, you open the door to a variety of diseases.

Hahaha.

kuksul08 10-09-2012 01:53 AM

Add a dash of baking soda to every meal and BAM! you're on the Alka-Diet!

cowmoo32 10-09-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

:rofl: how did you know?! My diet consists of nothing but cheeseburgers, donuts, and wine.

customisbetter 10-09-2012 09:46 AM

That is why I just drink Bleach at the gym. I'm so healthy man!

MachRc 10-09-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

This is what he she totally talks like.

Which is perfectly fine. I do get the whole paleo thing and understand that most average diets are terrible.

But do you believe in this alkaline water too?

E36Eric 10-09-2012 12:35 PM

My in-laws swear by it. I personally don't like how it taste. We gave some water to bathe a friend's baby who has eczema and it helped a lot. They called it the miracle water. I personally think its all bs. They want me to install one at our house and I had to tell them no several times.

NOVAbimmer 10-09-2012 12:39 PM

I like how citric acid is suddenly an alkaline

cowmoo32 10-09-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachRc (Post 14799176)
This is what he she totally talks like.

Which is perfectly fine. I do get the whole paleo thing and understand that most average diets are terrible.

But do you believe in this alkaline water too?

Drex believes conspiracy theories too, just throwing that out there.