E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rear Wheel Bearing and ebrake problem (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=950205)

keepbreakindown 10-13-2012 02:55 PM

Rear Wheel Bearing and ebrake problem

Took my car in to get the rear wheel bearing replaced. The mechanic just called to say they can't do the wheel bearing because the ebrake "can't be removed, it's just stuck there" and he doesn't want to damage anything trying to get it off. Then the dreaded words...."you might have to take it to the dealer."

To be clear, the ebrake isn't stuck as in the wheels don't move. In fact it's too loose and doesn't hold the car on a hill. I'm too lazy to adjust the bolts under the handle. I'm pretty sure he's unable to physically remove it to get to the wheel bearing.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I haven't looked at it myself yet.

Thanks to anyone who might give me some insight.

Mcbridges11 10-13-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepbreakindown (Post 14812126)
Took my car in to get the rear wheel bearing replaced. The mechanic just called to say they can't do the wheel bearing because the ebrake "can't be removed, it's just stuck there" and he doesn't want to damage anything trying to get it off. Then the dreaded words...."you might have to take it to the dealer."

To be clear, the ebrake isn't stuck as in the wheels don't move. In fact it's too loose and doesn't hold the car on a hill. I'm too lazy to adjust the bolts under the handle. I'm pretty sure he's unable to physically remove it to get to the wheel bearing.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I haven't looked at it myself yet.

Thanks to anyone who might give me some insight.

Very common- there is a hole in the rotor that is the e brake caliper adjustment- if you use a falt head you can turn the wheel/gear and tighten it as tight as it goes- this will allow you to take the rotor off and continue from there-dont try and force it the ebrake shoes are attached to the main dust cover and you can pull the fu**er right through...leading to more issues

keepbreakindown 10-13-2012 03:41 PM

THANKS!! Going to get my car back today so I'll give it shot. I'll run the car off a cliff before I take it back to the stealership.......ok, maybe not, but you get the point.

Mcbridges11 10-13-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepbreakindown (Post 14812195)
THANKS!! Going to get my car back today so I'll give it shot. I'll run the car off a cliff before I take it back to the stealership.......ok, maybe not, but you get the point.

Haha right there with ya!- the hole is usually the top left- using a flashlight will help and itll take a few turns:ben: Im pretty sure that there are some videos on youtube- usually after you tighten that up youll be able to tap tap the rotor off- if youre not replacing the rotor tap in the hub area not on the actual disc!!!:thumbup:

superd21007 11-10-2012 09:39 PM

Just changed out my rear bearing with out taking the e brake apart... are you still dealing with this?

bigjae1976 11-11-2012 07:40 AM

If you have to change the wheel bearing then I don't think ripping the ebrake shoes out of the dust shield is a big deal. All easy to get to once you get the hub off. Yeah, you'd have to buy new ebrake parts and a dust shield but its not THAT expensive.

Let me know if you need to rent a wheel bearing R&R tool...see my sig!