E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Does Koni FSD drop front on OEM springs?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=950515)

jlgone 10-15-2012 03:33 PM

Does Koni FSD drop front on OEM springs??

I have read several posts saying the Koni FSD front struts are slightly shorter than stock. One member posted a side-by-side picture and the FSD strut definitely appears to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than a stock stut (shorter from bottom of strut to bolt and also shorter from bolt to bottom of spring perch).

Numerous members have said the drop from this kit was greater than Eibach states (see below). A shorter Koni FSD strut would explain a greater than expected drop for the Eibach Prokit/Koni FSD kits (vs Prokit with other struts).

Why do you want such a slammed drop? I have the Eibach/FSD combo, and it's pretty damn low. I scrape all the time going up drive ramps, no matter how slow and careful I am. I've also banged the undercarriage exiting a parking garage -- even though I was driving super slow and going down the incline sideways. I've even scraped the bottom of my bumper (exactly where e46vert scraped his in that pic) doing a 3 point turn in a hilly neighborhood! And this is with a supposed "moderate" drop!

I'm seriously thinking about switching back to my oem sport springs, while keeping the FSDs. I'm thinking the FSDs are too soft for drop springs. They ride real nice, but compress too easily. Even if you replace the shocks only, apparently the FSDs give you a slight drop over stock.

05-04-2009 at 10:34 PM.

For those of you who have installed the Koni FSDs with stock springs, how much, if any, did it drop your front??

jlgone 10-16-2012 06:11 AM

I have read hundreds of posts on this subject, some of which must be wrong!

Most say no change, while some say the drop was more than just the springs they used (with the Koni FSD Eibach Pro kit combo) should have provided. Several say the drop is more on a sedan vs coupe and a few even said they were taller (I read it on internet so it must be true right!).

Anyone with first hand experience, please help! FSDs on a stock spring should provide the true answer.

bmwcanman 10-19-2012 12:43 PM

My Koni FSD's are currently in the mail so if you don't get a response I can let you know in about a week or so. I'll try to remember to take before and after pictures.

jlgone 10-19-2012 08:57 PM

Yes please post a review of height, ride quality and handling once you get them installed. Before and after pictures would be valuable if there is any change, and that would answer this question once and for all! A review would be great since opionions are mixed and most are for the Eibach kit, not just the FSDs - can't wait to find out!

veli510 10-22-2012 12:43 PM

i'm actually trying to get a new set up right now too. i'm in need of new shocks. i've been browsing through threads for about a week trying to read up on coilovers/shock+spring combo reviews. im really confused on what to purchase. people say megan sucks, some say it's great. others love koni but some complain about ride height. people love BC and St coilovers then i started reading about Street edge coilover, rokkers and racelands. lol. i'm lost...

RMAAS 10-23-2012 12:01 PM

Love My FSDs

I've had my Koni FSDs now for about 18,000 miles and they're great. There isn't a noticeable difference in the ride height, but I can't say for sure as I didn't measure before and after. I also have the the sports suspension. These shocks are much better than stock. They have a nice ride when you are cruising along, but firm up nicely when you drive more aggressively. I am completely satisified with them and would buy them again if these were to wear out (although they shouldn't has they have a "lifetime" warranty).

J LAU 10-24-2012 12:56 AM

I don't think the shocks/struts determine the ride height, unless they have super short travel.

jlgone 10-24-2012 08:48 PM

Struts can impact ride height if the location of the spring perch is lower than stock struts. Some struts do lower the car (i had a set of new struts drop the ride height over 1/2 inch with the same springs).

bmwcanman 10-25-2012 02:14 PM

I've just been notified by Modbargains that Koni FSD's will not be available until Nov 17th at the earliest. Given the ridiculous wait time, I might just go with Bilstein sports. If I stay with Koni FSD's, then I will advise ride high late November at the earliest.

peytonracer4 10-25-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlgone (Post 14844574)
Struts can impact ride height if the location of the spring perch is lower than stock struts. Some struts do lower the car (i had a set of new struts drop the ride height over 1/2 inch with the same springs).

so it's only possible in the front. completely impossible in the rear

jlgone 10-25-2012 06:27 PM

Here's an image that shows a Koni strut with and adjustable spring perch height. I don't think the Koni yellow struts are adjustable for the e46 though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremy-...4751/lightbox/

jlgone 10-25-2012 06:35 PM

bmwcanman,

Is it just Modbargains that are sold out or are they backordered from Koni? How about Tire Rack?

The FSDs will be one of my christmas gifts so it sounds like I had better get on ordering them!!

ModBargains III 10-25-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonracer4 (Post 14846864)
so it's only possible in the front. completely impossible in the rear

Basically yes... Some struts I've heard of shocks having a lower perch which will effect height, but I don't know any specific examples of that. Technically if it is a lower spring perch, then it would effect ride height, but as far as I know, Koni doesn't do so, so KONI FSD's will not effect ride height, unless they're matched with the Eibach spring package.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlgone (Post 14847265)
bmwcanman,

Is it just Modbargains that are sold out or are they backordered from Koni? How about Tire Rack?

The FSDs will be one of my christmas gifts so it sounds like I had better get on ordering them!!

We get Koni's direct from Koni, so does Tire Rack. I'm sure they try to keep them in stock, but they sell out just like we sell out of Koni's as well, they're hard to keep in inventory because they're just like brakes, you really need to change them when they go bad or go out... I got a ETA of about 4-6 weeks as of right now just FYI.

jlgone 10-30-2012 09:46 AM

Here's the comparison of stock anf FSD strut length.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1298657905

FSDs look to be shorter from mount to lower spring perch. Anyone have first hand experience??

bmwcanman 11-19-2012 12:09 AM

I finished my front end a couple days ago including Koni FSD's, control arms, tie rods, and sway bar bushings. I took a height measurement before starting the job and again today after the car has been used and the suspension had time to settle in. The measurements before and after were......IDENTICAL! I'm talking spot on.....not a mm difference.

Thotfulspot 11-19-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModBargains III (Post 14847311)
Basically yes... Some struts I've heard of shocks having a lower perch which will effect height, but I don't know any specific examples of that. Technically if it is a lower spring perch, then it would effect ride height, but as far as I know, Koni doesn't do so, so KONI FSD's will not effect ride height, unless they're matched with the Eibach spring package.

We get Koni's direct from Koni, so does Tire Rack. I'm sure they try to keep them in stock, but they sell out just like we sell out of Koni's as well, they're hard to keep in inventory because they're just like brakes, you really need to change them when they go bad or go out... I got a ETA of about 4-6 weeks as of right now just FYI.

I just waited 3 months for one of my front Koni yellows. They had a big sale at the end of the summer and stock was really short.

bmwcanman 11-19-2012 01:24 AM

I ended up getting my Koni FSD's from THMotorshorts.com. They currently have them in stock and also have the best price including shipping. They were quick with shipping and efficient to deal with. I'd recommend them.

edlvrt 02-01-2013 09:42 PM

I just finished installing FSDs with my OEM sport package springs, and my front is definitely higher than before. The alignment guy said that the front ride height is out of spec. Can anyone provide a picture of how far the struts fit into the hub clamp? I have heard that the alignment pin/nub may need to be at or below the pinch bolt.

Thanks for any help

bmwcanman 02-06-2013 06:05 PM

If you closely at the bottom portion of the Koni FSD shock, you will see a "ring" which protrudes out (pressed out) around the shock about 1/2 inch from the bottom. If you take a close look at the inside of the hub clamp, there is a matching "ring" grooved into the inside of the hub. You need to match these two rings together - the shock ring protrudes out and fits into the groove of the hub. Once these two are matched together, this will correctly set your ride height. The ring on the shock might be a bit flat if you have already tightened pinch bolts around without having the two lined up.

The nub is then used for alignment of the shock and needs to fit between the gap in the hub clamp between the pinch bolts.

I don't have a picture of this, but hopefully the description makes sense.

My ride height using the koni's and stock zhp springs was identical to the stock ride height.

bmwcanman 02-08-2013 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
edlvrt, I realized after taking the attached picture my last instructions were slightly off. The FSD's do have a "ring" around the shock casing which protrudes out slightly about 2 inches (not 1/2 inch) from the bottom of the shock. This ring sits in the BOTTOM of the hub mount (not sure hub mount is the correct name, but will use it anyways). The bottom of the hub mount has a lip which the shock casing "ring" sits into (it does NOT have a groove as I described above). When you have the shock out of the hub mount and look inside the hub mount, you will see the lip at the very bottom in which the shock "ring" sits. It will become obvious once you look.

The picture does not help much as it does not show the nub sits between the pinch bolts (I couldn't get a pic as it is on the inside of the wheel well), but the lip on the hub mount determines the height of the shock and the nub aligned in the opening (or gap) of the hub mount between the pinch bolts determines the alignment of the shock. You can't go wrong if you get these two items correct.

Best of luck.

Attachment 489895