E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Hello From Illinois. Here's My New Used 2001 325xi (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=950909)

Zardoz33 10-17-2012 12:53 PM

Hello From Illinois. Here's My New Used 2001 325xi

Hello everyone, just joined the BMW family yesterday. So far it's the best self-birthday present I've ever given myself. The only downside was waiting at the d.m.v. for a few hours after buying the car. :D

I purchased a 2001 325XI from a local private seller in Illinois. Paid only $4,100. It has 164,000 miles. The owner had all service records, etc. and kept her well maintained. All the token issues I've seen with these cars were already fixed by him at a dealership.

The only downside was he didn't detail before he sold it so I knocked the price down a bit. :thumbup:

Here's one picture. I'll upload more pics after getting it detailed.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6..._1016_112a.jpg

wvBimmer3Series 10-19-2012 09:44 AM

Looks great & sounds like you got a good deal! We just picked up our '01 325xi on Sept. 1st, love the Bimmers...

Solidjake 10-22-2012 07:02 AM

Good price man, nice that the owner had all of the records.

Zardoz33 10-22-2012 07:20 AM

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, a couple issues started this evening. Aaaaaand here we go. lol I now have this exact sound in my engine bay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViQoLH1vPf8

There seems to be a crack somewhere in the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. I decided to fill it up about 3/4 of the way (it was less than 1/2 before) and the fluid just came right out of the bottom of the car very quickly.

Lastly, I also noticed power steering fluid leaking from the engine bay reservoir. I'll take off the cap tomorrow and see if the fluid is moving around.

There are a couple reputable BWM mechanic shops in my general area, so I'll be taking her in sometime this week.

I spent around $200 already for small replacement parts, air filter, rear license plate bracket, l.e.d. taillights, etc. but I'm going to hold-off on buying anything else for now. The last thing I need is for this to turn into a money pit. :eek:

THECLEANERBEAMER 10-22-2012 09:28 AM

The sound from the engine bay like that usually ends up being that you need a new idler puller and belt tensioner

Zardoz33 10-24-2012 03:18 PM

Today, I put the windows down and the rear passenger window didn't want to go back up. Took apart the door panel and yep..............the regulator wire was mangled all over the place. Fantastic. lol

wvBimmer3Series 10-24-2012 05:18 PM

Bummer!

Zardoz33 10-24-2012 06:22 PM

'Eh it's alright, just a tad frustrating. :) It's ironic how earlier the same day I made my previous post my uncle said: "I hope it doesn't give you issues because my BMW was a nightmare!" and went on to tell about an hour's worth of horror stories. Then, literally right when I got home and pulled in the driveway is when I heard that idle bely pulley noise & leaking p.s. fluid. I think he jinxed me. lol :)

My led tails came in today so at least that was some good news. The regulator looks like a very easy fix from the vids I've seen. Under $100 for an non-oem branded one. I'm aware of the cheap knockoffs and somewhat shoddy quality, but honestly I could care less at this point. Better than paying the $240 a local shop quoted me.

kennybow 10-24-2012 08:36 PM

cool man!

THECLEANERBEAMER 10-24-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardoz33 (Post 14844008)
'Eh it's alright, just a tad frustrating. :) It's ironic how earlier the same day I made my previous post my uncle said: "I hope it doesn't give you issues because my BMW was a nightmare!" and went on to tell about an hour's worth of horror stories. Then, literally right when I got home and pulled in the driveway is when I heard that idle bely pulley noise & leaking p.s. fluid. I think he jinxed me. lol :)

My led tails came in today so at least that was some good news. The regulator looks like a very easy fix from the vids I've seen. Under $100 for an non-oem branded one. I'm aware of the cheap knockoffs and somewhat shoddy quality, but honestly I could care less at this point. Better than paying the $240 a local shop quoted me.

I got a window regulator for my driver rear window for $30 off eBay works just fine and was easy to install

Zardoz33 10-31-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THECLEANERBEAMER (Post 14844471)
I got a window regulator for my driver rear window for $30 off eBay works just fine and was easy to install

Received mine today. :woot: Installing it tomorrow.

I went to my local tuner shop today and had them install 4 new tires. Soon as the tech lifted my car up we saw there was a lot of oil all over the plastic bottom car cover. He took it off and there were puddles of oil on the inside of the cover, all over the transfer case (I think that's what it's called) and pretty much all over the underpart of the engine. lol I should have taken a pic for you guys. It was ridiculous.

There was so much damn oil that he couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from, but he cleaned everything off. I'll be going back there next week so he can check it out better. The weird thing is, when he checked the oil level it was fine so maybe the idiots where the previous owner had the oil change done overfilled it?

Edit: And searching threads on here makes me thing it's one or more of the following: valve cover gasket, oil filter cap o-ring, ccv and oil filter housing gasket, oil level sensor, drain plug, oil canister mounting gasket or the VANOS Oil Supply Line. Can't wait to have all those looked at.

jasonsjwou 10-31-2012 09:16 AM

Zardoz33, please keep posting on your journey with your BMW.
I'm looking to buy something similar to yours, and story like this is bit... disheartening.

Zardoz33 10-31-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonsjwou (Post 14860270)
Zardoz33, please keep posting on your journey with your BMW.
I'm looking to buy something similar to yours, and story like this is bit... disheartening.

I wouldn't take my recent bad luck and weigh it with your own decisions, but yes it has been annoying lately. However, I know better and should have had a place check it out before I made the purchase. I have no one to blame but myself. It's just hilarious in an aggravating way that with each passing week a new problem seems to pop-up with the car.

So now, I think of this as an interesting journey with unknown consequences that I've embarked on (did that b.s. sound good enough? lol)

rcsummers 11-01-2012 12:06 AM

Welcome :hi:

illestminimike 11-02-2012 12:23 PM

Welcome!

Zardoz33 11-03-2012 01:22 AM

^^^^^ Thanks you two. :thumbsup:

One of the wheels was bent :censor: so I bought one off eBay. I'm getting the left-outer cv boot replaced next week, then I'll move onto the oil leak issue.

wvBimmer3Series 11-03-2012 08:08 AM

I had a nasty oil leak on our '01 xi & yesterday had the oil filter housing gasket replaced so hopefully that did the trick... Keep us updated.

Zardoz33 11-03-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvBimmer3Series (Post 14867729)
I had a nasty oil leak on our '01 xi & yesterday had the oil filter housing gasket replaced so hopefully that did the trick... Keep us updated.

I already bought spark plugs (previous owner never had them changed), so I figured I'll get the valve cover gasket replaced first. The vcg was replaced last year, but the shop he took it to did not swap-out the spark plug gaskets or the 15 rubber grommets. I'm sure those rubber components are hard as a rock after 164,000+ miles.

I occasionally smell oil in the cabin and there's oil along the front & side of the vgc, but there was so much more oil on the underside of the engine/bottom cover that it's probably something else as well.

ItzaBitza 11-03-2012 01:37 PM

Welcome, I'm from Chicago, where in Illinois r u? Wish I had some advise tho I'm not familiar with xi

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Bimmer App

Zardoz33 11-03-2012 02:11 PM

Itza, I'm in the Western Burbs - Darien. Looking at the vehicle's service records: the previous owner would have the dealership give him quotes, then he'd take it to those mom and pop shops to get the work done.....which isn't always the smartest idea.