E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   How to clean convert headliner? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=950952)

Retrax 10-17-2012 02:31 PM

How to clean convert headliner?

I recently bought a clean one owner E46 convertible with 57,000 miles on it a local (non BMW) dealer had taken in as a trade. The interior had been detailed but there were spots on the headliner which I suspected to be dried soap (white dried roundish rings) left over from the cleaner evaporating. I had them detail the interior again but now the headliner is worse with even more dried white rings.

I will not trust them to do it a third time. What are my options to clean this myself? Are there any products I can use or should do I need to take it some place where they will use steam or liquid again and hopefully extract all the residue?

I drove by a local detail shop that deals with exotics. The detailer was outside working on a Ferrari and suggested I use Windex and a microfiber cloth to work it out in sections. Is this the best suggestion? I don't want to damage anything

cityjohn 10-17-2012 03:00 PM

I don't like the sections suggestion because each time you did a section the fluid would push out the soil to the edge and just make more of a mess. Maybe try wiping the whole thing with Woolite and water or Soilove. Also this may seem obvious but the headliner picks up a lot of road grime -- did you try vacuuming too?

Retrax 10-17-2012 04:04 PM

Yes, but the vacuuming didn't do anything. I am almost thinking warm water but I don't know if that will extract the soap or whatever the residue is that was left behind. It's not mildew and there is no foul odor. It is just many of these oblong whitish colored rings on the black headliner fabric. It actually looked better before they made a second attempt.

TOGWT 10-18-2012 05:14 AM

Water Marks (Browning)

Clean as normal. Follow with a sprayed mist of a 'souring agent' to prevent browning, colour bleed and those awful 'water marks'. Towel dry by blotting (do not rub). Wait until thoroughly dry an then re-evaluate. (Color Stabilizer and Souring Agent - Pro's Choice)

Retrax 10-18-2012 07:59 AM

Togwt, thank you for the response. Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Souring Agent"? Is it anything like vinegar?

TOGWT 10-19-2012 05:02 AM

A souring agent is simlar to vinegar insofar as it is an acidic product.

Browning occours when you spot clean an area by forcing the dirt to spread (hence 'browning) to the outer edges

Dilute Color Stabilizer and Souring Agent 1:5 with water for normal use. Application: Using a high volume trigger sprayer, apply stabilizer to the textile prior to your cleaning process. This will work to stabilize dye colours and prevent the potential browning of natural fibres