E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Yet another flywheel question! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=951266)

goodtohave 10-18-2012 09:20 PM

Yet another flywheel question!
 
I have done a lot of searching but don't know what to do.

It's a 2002 325it and it is time to do the clutch.

It has always felt like crap. I don't want an agressive clutch, it is just a daily driver but I want to get rid of the SAC and dual mass flywheel.

I am thinking if the UUC but have no use for the lightweight drawbacks.

I saw the Fidanza flywheel that allows me to put a 330 clutch, and it is heavier then the UUC , which I would prefer.

I just want the stock feel of my old E36.

I just can't see changng the clutch and keeping the 11 yr old higher mileage dual mass flywheel and a new LUK is $700.

Anyone done anything that feels better then stock?

Or is stock good and mine just always sucked? (I bought it used 5 yrs ago with 50k miles) would I be happy with a new LUK flywheel and clutch?

And by the way I removed the CDV years ago and put UUC red tranny mounts...

Thanks!

SPDSKTR 10-22-2012 03:22 PM

UUC's flywheel is TOO light for street driving (in my opinion, anyway). Think about it... their flywheel only weighs 8 lbs. EIGHT. POUNDS. I've dropped turds that weigh more than that (figuratively speaking). I think I'll be going with the F1 Stage 1 clutch and 16 lb. flywheel combo from Gripforce. At $412, it's a bargain. They're supposedly a reputable brand as well. We'll see... :dunno:

t96_grh 11-16-2012 08:09 AM

You can use any flywheel/clutch/pp/tob from an e36 such as from a 323 or 325. There is even a single-mass kit from Valeo (OEM on many cars).

I'm using an E36 M3 S52 flywheel/clutch package on a 530.

donoharm 11-26-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 14836858)
UUC's flywheel is TOO light for street driving (in my opinion, anyway). Think about it... their flywheel only weighs 8 lbs. EIGHT. POUNDS. I've dropped turds that weigh more than that (figuratively speaking). I think I'll be going with the F1 Stage 1 clutch and 16 lb. flywheel combo from Gripforce. At $412, it's a bargain. They're supposedly a reputable brand as well. We'll see... :dunno:

I know it may be too late for the OP but I have the UUC kit with light fw and organic m5 clutch, it feels exactly like stock, there is a bit of rattle but only at idle and not all the time... you need to have your window down and radio off to hear anything.

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 12-05-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 14836858)
UUC's flywheel is TOO light for street driving (in my opinion, anyway). Think about it... their flywheel only weighs 8 lbs. EIGHT. POUNDS.

Complete understanding of the UUC Stage 2 / M5 clutch conversion package is extremely important here... directly from our website:
Tipping the scales at only 8.5lbs, this aluminum flywheel boasts the best features in its class (high-speed balanced, correct dowel hole, replaceable friction surface, Made In USA quality) , but is designed to use the clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing from the 3.6 liter E34 M5. The total weight of the M5 clutch disk and pressure plate combo is greater than that of a stock E46 3-series clutch, so we have reduced the Stage2 flywheel weight to achieve an overall rotating mass that is essentially identical to a typical 11.5lb lightweight flywheel that utilizes a standard E46 clutch.
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/light...dels-p285.aspx

Driveability of this package is very easy, nothing tricky or special... just more performance! While a 16.9lb flywheel still gives a tiny boost in performance, you're leaving quite a bit on the table by not shaving that additional 5lbs. 5lbs of rotating mass, calculated as moment of inertia, is significant!

To have an understanding of the advantages of reducing rotating mass, please see:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/uuc/a...-HOW-WORKS.htm

Hope that helps!

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 12-05-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donoharm (Post 14928447)
I know it may be too late for the OP but I have the UUC kit with light fw and organic m5 clutch, it feels exactly like stock, there is a bit of rattle but only at idle and not all the time... you need to have your window down and radio off to hear anything.

Cause and remedy:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/uuc/a...ear_rattle.htm

SPDSKTR 12-05-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks (Post 14953192)
Complete understanding of the UUC Stage 2 / M5 clutch conversion package is extremely important here... directly from our website:
Tipping the scales at only 8.5lbs, this aluminum flywheel boasts the best features in its class (high-speed balanced, correct dowel hole, replaceable friction surface, Made In USA quality) , but is designed to use the clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing from the 3.6 liter E34 M5. The total weight of the M5 clutch disk and pressure plate combo is greater than that of a stock E46 3-series clutch, so we have reduced the Stage2 flywheel weight to achieve an overall rotating mass that is essentially identical to a typical 11.5lb lightweight flywheel that utilizes a standard E46 clutch.
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/light...dels-p285.aspx

Driveability of this package is very easy, nothing tricky or special... just more performance! While a 16.9lb flywheel still gives a tiny boost in performance, you're leaving quite a bit on the table by not shaving that additional 5lbs. 5lbs of rotating mass, calculated as moment of inertia, is significant!

To have an understanding of the advantages of reducing rotating mass, please see:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/uuc/a...-HOW-WORKS.htm

Hope that helps!

My biggest concern is ease of drivability. I'm considering the Gripforce package due to the value over OEM. The only thing that scares me, though, is the issue with engine harmonics being upset and rattling the oil pump nut loose (accessing it to wire it up is a ridiculous job from what I've heard), so I may just go OEM and keep it safe.

On another note, UUC, your SSK (paired with the DSSR) is still as fantastic as the day I installed it.

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 12-06-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 14954456)
My biggest concern is ease of drivability.

Not a concern with the UUC setup. Some say (and I agree) that it is easier to drive than dealing with the heavy OEM dual mass flywheel.


Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 14954456)
The only thing that scares me, though, is the issue with engine harmonics being upset and rattling the oil pump nut loose (accessing it to wire it up is a ridiculous job from what I've heard), so I may just go OEM and keep it safe.

In all reality, that's an issue regardless of what flywheel you're using. As long as you have not removed the front-mounted harmonic damper, there isn't a change in engine harmonics that affects that problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 14954456)
On another note, UUC, your SSK (paired with the DSSR) is still as fantastic as the day I installed it.

Thank you!

alexxander.foster 12-06-2012 12:25 PM

+1 for the Valeo kit. I also wasn't "in the mood" for the drawbacks of a lightweight flywheel (much less the increased pedal resistance from a stronger pressure plate). Plus I've always hated the dual mass flywheel.

I normally keep my opinions to myself on these types of threads but I'm really impressed with the feel and performance of the Valeo kit.

tim330i 12-10-2012 02:13 PM

Knock it off. If you cannot post without insulting, insinuating or jabbing at another member, then don't post.

Tim

alexxander.foster 12-10-2012 03:37 PM

Sorry tim330i. You're right, it wasn't cool.

TerraPhantm 12-10-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodtohave (Post 14827433)

I just want the stock feel of my old E36.

E36s IIRC have dual mass flywheels but non-self adjusting clutches... so if you want it to feel like an E36, wouldn't it stand to reason that using parts similar to the E36 would accomplish that?

I would think perhaps keeping the stock flywheel and using an E36 clutch kit might do the trick.

SPDSKTR 12-11-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks (Post 14956675)
In all reality, that's an issue regardless of what flywheel you're using. As long as you have not removed the front-mounted harmonic damper, there isn't a change in engine harmonics that affects that problem.

I know it could be an issue with an OEM flywheel, but only if the driver is consistently taking (and sustaining) higher RPM (which is something I don't do). Am I just being TOO paranoid about it? I really DON'T want to tear everything apart for the oil pump nut (hell of a job, especially on my car).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks (Post 14956675)
Thank you!

You're quite welcome. Some people say it was a bit too notchy for their tastes, but I love it.



On another note: Are there any videos of E46 performance clutch and lightweight flywheel setups out there? I've seen them for Porsche and Mazda RX-8's, but that's about it...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use