E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Wtf??? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=951272)

SA Justin 10-18-2012 09:53 PM

Wtf???
 
I just changed my tie rods, front control arms/bushings, and sway bar end links. I knew I was going to need an alignment anyway and Firestone is a couple blocks away so I just ball parked the tie rod lengths.

I went to drive the car and the friggin steering wheel is now facing 90 degrees toward the passenger side when I drive straight. I was expecting jack up alignment, but is it normal for the steering wheel to be so far misaligned? I'm afraid I might have messed something up with all that pickle fork persuasion....

Thanks in advance for your help!

SA Justin 10-18-2012 10:14 PM

I left it at Firestone and they'll do the alignment in the morning. Do you think they'll fix the off-center steering wheel too?

///MPR77 10-18-2012 10:26 PM

The steering wheel adjustment is part of the alignment.

Curious, did you have the old , and new tie rods side by side when you adjusted them?

peytonracer4 10-18-2012 10:35 PM

that's normal. mine was totally like that too when i thought i had them adjusted close to the old ones.
even a couple of threads will turn your steering wheel pretty far.
they'll correct it when getting it aligned.

///MPR77 10-18-2012 11:19 PM

^ good to know. I have a new set in the trunk that I plan on doing this weekend.

SA Justin 10-19-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///MPR77 (Post 14827606)
Curious, did you have the old , and new tie rods side by side when you adjusted them?

Yeah but I just quickly eyeballed it. Didn't think it would matter much since I was only drive a few hundred feet before the alignment.

SA Justin 10-19-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonracer4 (Post 14827629)
that's normal. mine was totally like that too when i thought i had them adjusted close to the old ones.
even a couple of threads will turn your steering wheel pretty far.
they'll correct it when getting it aligned.

Ok. Good to know. I was a little freaked out by how far off it was...

peytonracer4 10-19-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA Justin (Post 14827815)
Ok. Good to know. I was a little freaked out by how far off it was...

Trust me I was too at first. Haha.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use