E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   EDC Knife (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=952006)

Serbonze 10-23-2012 08:14 AM

EDC Knife

I'm looking to pick up a knife to carry with me on a daily basis. I would like to keep the cost reasonable (under $150 if new, but I'm okay picking up a used one up on an EE), so that if for some reason I lose it I won't cry myself to sleep.

Any suggestions?

NOVAbimmer 10-23-2012 08:33 AM

need more specifics than this. Are you looking for a folding knife? Fixed blade? A simple push blade? What size? What kind of usage? Just for utility, or are you looking for a solid fighting knife?

Personally, I've got my Spyderco Endura that I've had for a while now that I really like. Keeps a solid edge on it. The only problem with it is that the pocket clip broke.

Serbonze 10-23-2012 08:45 AM

I would prefer folding. What size, I have no idea. It would be utility/last line of defense.

tailo 10-23-2012 08:54 AM

I like the benchmade 806d2 myself. There a tad more but last years. I've had mine since 04 or so. Best folding combat knife around.

NOVAbimmer 10-23-2012 09:01 AM

I've got a benchmade fixed blade that I really love, as well as a couple cold steel fixeds.

But yeah, for slipping in my pocket, I take my Spyderco. I had a (counterfeit) Gerber auto overseas that I couldn't bring back home that I would carry again, though.

SPDSKTR 10-23-2012 09:03 AM

I carry a Kershaw Rescue Blur. Rounded tip so you don't stab yourself in emergency situations, but can still puncture flesh if you're stabbing with force. It also has a glass breaking carbide tip on the end of the handle. Check it: http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=89

Perhaps you may want the Black Blur for the pointed tip: http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=87

And while browsing their website, I found the Black Blur Glassbreaker. I may get one of these in place of my Rescue Blur: http://www.kershawknives.com/product...&brand=kershaw

Quick bit on the Blur series:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw
Blurs are SpeedSafeŽ equipped for smooth, one-handed opening. The anodized aluminum handles are durable and lightweight. For extra traction and a secure grip, the handles are outfitted with Trac-Tec inserts. The rough Trac-Tec material provides a non-slip grip even in wet and slippery conditions. Rescue Blurs and Black Blur Glassbreaker also feature a carbide glass-breaker tip for emergency use. Partially serrated blade.

For $75, I'm very impressed with the overall quality of the knife. I have a small scar on my index finger to prove how great these knives really are! :rofl:

Serbonze 10-23-2012 09:08 AM

That Black Bur Glassbreaker looks promising. A little bit of both worlds, utility and last line. Any issues with the bur stabbing you or tearing holes in your pocket?

Tailo - 806d2 is discontinued.

Nova - it looks like there are a few different versions of the Endura. Which one do you carry?

SPDSKTR 10-23-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbonze (Post 14839017)
That Black Bur Glassbreaker looks promising. A little bit of both worlds, utility and last line. Any issues with the bur stabbing you or tearing holes in your pocket?

Tailo - 806d2 is discontinued.

Nova - it looks like there are a few different versions of the Endura. Which one do you carry?

It slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) wore the lip of the seam of my jeans pocket over the past couple years I've had the knife. I always lift the clip open to take off some pressure when removing it, though. When it's in your pocket, that fucker is there to stay. If you snatch it out, it will come out, but just everyday moving around, it's not moving.

Ghostie 10-23-2012 09:23 AM

I carry a Beretta Airlight which was given to me. It's about 5 inches long when folded, which slips comfortably into my pockets.

The blade itself is about 4 inches long.

I've also heard good things about the Spyderco, from a friend who's REALLY into knives.

Adamo99 10-23-2012 09:25 AM

If you're ok with carrying something a bit larger, I have a ZT 0301, and love it.

Serbonze 10-23-2012 09:32 AM

I don't carry a knife now, so I have no preconceived notions about anything. Heck, if there is a solid argument for a fixed blade, I'm open to listening to it.

Adam@Euro-Spec 10-23-2012 09:50 AM

In that price range id probably pick this up. Never seen a negative review for the spyderco paramilitary 2. I have a cheap crkt folder that i actually love for what i do with it and it's really light weight but spyderco will be my next

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-ParaM...paramilitary+2

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

NOVAbimmer 10-23-2012 09:59 AM

I honestly couldn't tell you too much about it, I've had it for so long I don't remember the details. It's black handle, plain blade, VG-10 steel, made in Seki City.

The thing I like most about the spyderco is the large hole in the blade. It makes opening it really easy, whether bare-handed, wearing light gloves, or even in full winter mittens.

NOVAbimmer 10-23-2012 10:00 AM

I've never had to stab anybody with it, but I'm sure it could do the job. It's nice and pointy.

But I've never stabbed myself with it, no matter what I've been doing with it, and it's never torn holes in my pocket.

SPDSKTR 10-23-2012 10:12 AM

A quality knife is going to be a quality knife. Each has their own little characteristics and qualities. I decided that Kershaw fits my hand nicely, has a great balance (in my opinion), and has a faster "assisted opening" than any of the others I checked out (Spyderco seemed fairly slow in comparison). The fast opening plus a solid feel along with a bit of heft (not enough to make it uncomfortable or cumbersome) just made it FEEL like a great knife.

Best thing you can do is go to a store and check out a bunch of different knives.

NOVAbimmer 10-23-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 14839199)
A quality knife is going to be a quality knife. Each has their own little characteristics and qualities. I decided that Kershaw fits my hand nicely, has a great balance (in my opinion), and has a faster "assisted opening" than any of the others I checked out (Spyderco seemed fairly slow in comparison). The fast opening plus a solid feel along with a bit of heft (not enough to make it uncomfortable or cumbersome) just made it FEEL like a great knife.

Best thing you can do is go to a store and check out a bunch of different knives.

*gasp* just like a handgun!!! :yikes:

SPDSKTR 10-23-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 14839236)

:shhh:

Adam@Euro-Spec 10-23-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 14839236)

Except guns are dangerous and kill people knives are obviously not designed to do this :eeps: anything you pick from a well known company should treat you well. Im a knife noob so my cheap dull knife works fine for cutting apples and boxes open.

NOVAbimmer 10-23-2012 10:25 AM

is it a coincidence?

or is it
http://i.imgflip.com/26am.jpg

NOVAbimmer 10-23-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec (Post 14839248)
Except guns are dangerous and kill people knives are obviously not designed to do this :eeps: anything you pick from a well known company should treat you well. Im a knife noob so my cheap dull knife works fine for cutting apples and boxes open.

knives are much scarier than guns. You have to fill out paperwork to get a gun, but even little kids and minorities with criminal records can buy a knife!!!

Somebody needs to start posting "Knife Free Zone" signs to put an end to this.