E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How profitable are "cupcake stores"? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=952464)

peytonracer4 10-25-2012 03:31 PM

How profitable are "cupcake stores"?

Cupcake stores seem to be a growing trend. It's like they're the new corner bakery. Opened up in most major cities, and some smaller ones.
Does anyone have any info on these? As far as general sales go, I feel like it would be hard to turn a profit. It seems as though you would rely on catering to get by. However i'm wondering if anyone has any info stating that this type of business would be valuable in any way.
It's a cool idea, but seems to only have a small target market.
thanks

///MACHINE 10-25-2012 03:35 PM

Profit margins are probably high.... sales volume may be another issue.

Cowspoo 10-25-2012 03:38 PM

Now you can do it from home!
http://thebabycakesshop.com/

CollinsE90 10-25-2012 03:39 PM

Depends on how much marijuana you use per cupcake.

peytonracer4 10-25-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinsE90 (Post 14846695)
Depends on how much marijuana you use per cupcake.

3 marijuanas per cake would be used.

Raymond42262 10-25-2012 03:51 PM

It's a fad.

It's popular now , but it won't be next year or the year after.

It's not like a bakery shop where you can get cakes, pies, cookies as well as CUPCAKES.

I mean, how often have you eaten cupcakes in the past year and how bad to you want them to make a separate trip to the store to get them ?

peytonracer4 10-25-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond42262 (Post 14846728)
It's a fad.

It's not like a bakery shop where you can get cakes, pies, cookies as well as CUPCAKES.

I mean, how often have you eaten cupcakes in the past year and how bad to you want them to make a separate trip to the store to get them ?

these were kinda my thoughts. thinking of how to expand and make it more than cupcakes. but need a general idea of how succesful just the cupcake stores are first.

GRIFFIN 10-25-2012 03:56 PM

its all about how you market your product.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imag...0694261-68.jpg

DILLA 10-25-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

There is a place in Dallas called Sprinkles that my ex would make us go to weekly. I acted like I would hate it but the cupcakes were so goddamn good I secretly loved going. :eeps:

IdahoToyo 10-25-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

It's a fad.

This was my thought. When I first moved back to the city two years ago I saw all these "cupcake" shops and didn't understand how they'd be profitable when bakeries offer the same thing plus more. Then TLC and what not have all those cupcake shows and I definitely figured it must be a fad. I think they have a market when they are able to offer such a wide variety of cupcakes...however agree they will fade after time.

Raymond42262 10-25-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonracer4 (Post 14846740)
these were kinda my thoughts. thinking of how to expand and make it more than cupcakes. but need a general idea of how succesful just the cupcake stores are first.

why not open a bakery and advertise cupcakes ?

BTW, do you have any baking experience or are you a chef ?

m1r 10-25-2012 04:12 PM

Yeah cupcakes are good, but this is the gayest trend ever. Last I checked, shoppers has bomb cupcakes for < $1

peytonracer4 10-25-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond42262 (Post 14846800)
why not open a bakery and advertise cupcakes ?

BTW, do you have any baking experience or are you a chef ?

no. this thread is for my sister. but lets just say it's for my brother because of "pics or GTFO"
She's also a minor. so i expect pedo bear now

brew 10-25-2012 04:27 PM

Don't bakers have to start work at like 3 am and work all day? F that. Combine awful hours with a business model built on a market fad and local trends and it sounds like a bad deal all around. If you want that kind of risk and don't mind the hours, open a bar. Less work and the average person drinks like $20 worth of booze instead of a $3 cupcake.

Raymond42262 10-25-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonracer4 (Post 14846817)
no. this thread is for my sister. but lets just say it's for my brother because of "pics or GTFO"
She's also a minor. so i expect pedo bear now

You are a good brother....:thumbup:

How about this...........

How about a bakery that offers old style butcher meat ?

I know that the two are not normally found under the same roof, but if there was a place I could find that sold 'cows/pigs' to order, I would be there.

There are places in the country where you can 'buy a cow' or half a cow and the butcher will cut it up for you. They cut it up into steaks, stew, hamburger ribs, etc.... and you have enough beef to last a year. Most of the cows are grass fed (not the corn fed feedlots that are popular) and they are not soaked in water.
The beef tastes better and it is cheaper per pound that what you would pay at WM, Target etc...

I think the people that shop for bakery products would be the same ones that would be interested in high quality beef, pork and chicken like this.

I want to do this, but I need to get a freezer first.

Raymond42262 10-25-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brew (Post 14846856)
Don't bakers have to start work at like 3 am and work all day? F that. Combine awful hours with a business model built on a market fad and local trends and it sounds like a bad deal all around. If you want that kind of risk and don't mind the hours, open a bar. Less work and the average person drinks like $20 worth of booze instead of a $3 cupcake.

Yes, but people buy cupcakes by the dozen, they don't hit on the cashiers behind the counter and you don't need a bouncer.

rohde88 10-25-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brew (Post 14846856)

cupcake license easier to get than liquor license.

adaseb 10-25-2012 04:51 PM

They have them here in alot of places. But they sure are expensive. $4-5 per cupcake.

mkodama 10-25-2012 04:59 PM

With like $4 of profit per cupcake, needing minimal equipment, and minimal staff, I assume very profitable.

Eliott's-BMW 10-25-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DILLA (Post 14846758)
There is a place in Dallas called Sprinkles that my ex would make us go to weekly. I acted like I would hate it but the cupcakes were so goddamn good I secretly loved going. :eeps:

sup John? :rofl:

:eeps:
http://files.douxcafe.webnode.com/20...s-Cupcakes.jpg