E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why I Love CarMax (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=952478)

GlockMan 10-25-2012 04:15 PM

Why I Love CarMax
 
As many of you know, I have praised CarMax on here for years.

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine is based on actually dealing with them.

I have bought 5 cars/trucks from them and sold them 4.

My latest experience is with their repair and extended warranty.

I almost always buy THEIR warranty on my cars. THEIR extended warranty is much better than most. Here are few reasons why.

They are decently priced $1500-$2500 based on year, mileage, and length of warranty, etc.

You can take your car to CarMax or any OEM dealer for service. $50 deduct for CarMax, $75 or $100 for dealership PER VISIT NOT PER REPAIR.

So, yes, you could buy a Porsche from CarMax and get it serviced at the Porsche dealer under extended warranty.

Extended warranties are transferable or refundable when you sell your car. Say you buy a 4 year old Porsche and extended warranty for 5 years for $3000. 2.5 years later you trade it in or sell it, they will send you a check for $1500 no matter how many repairs you had covered by them. No BS. I have done it several times.

Anyway, today, I got a call that my truck repairs are done.

New power steering pump
New rack and pinion system
New gas cap assembly
Full Inspection
and I don't know what else yet (have not picked it up yet)

Total: $2000+
My cost: $50.

I really don't know how much better a used car dealership could be.

Of course, it is just my opinion.

To each their own.

CollinsE90 10-25-2012 04:18 PM

I need to see the CarFlaps.

trizzuth 10-25-2012 04:20 PM

My father in law has purchased one from Carmax in Florida, and I'm always jealous we don't have them up here in the northeast. Love their car search engine and the fact that they can basically get any car from any carmax dealer within a day or two for you. Thanks for the rest of the items you noted that I was completely unaware of!

I've had the BMW CPO warranty too, and it is $50 deduct PER ITEM, which blows monkey butler ass.

simsima325 10-25-2012 04:31 PM

:spam:

benjamin1 10-25-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 14846820)
As many of you know, I have praised CarMax on here for years.

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine is based on actually dealing with them.

I have bought 5 cars/trucks from them and sold them 4.

My latest experience is with their repair and extended warranty.

I almost always buy THEIR warranty on my cars. THEIR extended warranty is much better than most. Here are few reasons why.

They are decently priced $1500-$2500 based on year, mileage, and length of warranty, etc.

You can take your car to CarMax or any OEM dealer for service. $50 deduct for CarMax, $75 or $100 for dealership PER VISIT NOT PER REPAIR.

So, yes, you could buy a Porsche from CarMax and get it serviced at the Porsche dealer under extended warranty.

Extended warranties are transferable or refundable when you sell your car. Say you buy a 4 year old Porsche and extended warranty for 5 years for $3000. 2.5 years later you trade it in or sell it, they will send you a check for $1500 no matter how many repairs you had covered by them. No BS. I have done it several times.

Anyway, today, I got a call that my truck repairs are done.

New power steering pump
New rack and pinion system
New gas cap assembly
Full Inspection
and I don't know what else yet (have not picked it up yet)

Total: $2000+
My cost: $50.

I really don't know how much better a used car dealership could be.

Of course, it is just my opinion.

To each their own.

Not to rain on your parade, but that's exactly the same as our program here at Nissan. Except we don't have mileage caps on our warranties (and it's always a flat $50).

greydart 10-25-2012 04:41 PM

I've always found them to be over priced but that warranty aspect is attractive. It's certainly some peace of mind.

monkeyjuice5150 10-25-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin1 (Post 14846899)
Not to rain on your parade, but that's exactly the same as our program here at Nissan. Except we don't have mileage caps on our warranties (and it's always a flat $50).

Werd.

I have the extended warranty from Honda which is provided by a third party. Flat fee is $20 of total invoice. Covers everything. Costed me only 1k. Had only used it once last month which the total bill came out to around $17xx.xx. I only had to pay the deductible, 20 bucks.

Aren't all extended warranty is provided by third party only?

GlockMan 10-25-2012 05:31 PM

Rain rain rain.

I can find any car I want without dealing with the bs at a normal dealer.

T R E 10-25-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 14846820)
As many of you know, I have praised CarMax on here for years.

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine is based on actually dealing with them.

I have bought 5 cars/trucks from them and sold them 4.

My latest experience is with their repair and extended warranty.

I almost always buy THEIR warranty on my cars. THEIR extended warranty is much better than most. Here are few reasons why.

They are decently priced $1500-$2500 based on year, mileage, and length of warranty, etc.

You can take your car to CarMax or any OEM dealer for service. $50 deduct for CarMax, $75 or $100 for dealership PER VISIT NOT PER REPAIR.

So, yes, you could buy a Porsche from CarMax and get it serviced at the Porsche dealer under extended warranty.

Extended warranties are transferable or refundable when you sell your car. Say you buy a 4 year old Porsche and extended warranty for 5 years for $3000. 2.5 years later you trade it in or sell it, they will send you a check for $1500 no matter how many repairs you had covered by them. No BS. I have done it several times.

Anyway, today, I got a call that my truck repairs are done.

New power steering pump
New rack and pinion system
New gas cap assembly
Full Inspection
and I don't know what else yet (have not picked it up yet)

Total: $2000+
My cost: $50.

I really don't know how much better a used car dealership could be.

Of course, it is just my opinion.

To each their own.


i think your warranty (or repair cost) is $3050.00. ?

NJFF26 10-25-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 14846820)
As many of you know, I have praised CarMax on here for years.

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine is based on actually dealing with them.

I have bought 5 cars/trucks from them and sold them 4.

My latest experience is with their repair and extended warranty.

I almost always buy THEIR warranty on my cars. THEIR extended warranty is much better than most. Here are few reasons why.

They are decently priced $1500-$2500 based on year, mileage, and length of warranty, etc.

You can take your car to CarMax or any OEM dealer for service. $50 deduct for CarMax, $75 or $100 for dealership PER VISIT NOT PER REPAIR.

So, yes, you could buy a Porsche from CarMax and get it serviced at the Porsche dealer under extended warranty.

Extended warranties are transferable or refundable when you sell your car. Say you buy a 4 year old Porsche and extended warranty for 5 years for $3000. 2.5 years later you trade it in or sell it, they will send you a check for $1500 no matter how many repairs you had covered by them. No BS. I have done it several times.

Anyway, today, I got a call that my truck repairs are done.

New power steering pump
New rack and pinion system
New gas cap assembly
Full Inspection
and I don't know what else yet (have not picked it up yet)

Total: $2000+
My cost: $50.

I really don't know how much better a used car dealership could be.

Of course, it is just my opinion.

To each their own.

Your cost is really $50 dollars plus what you paid for the warranty. So if you Paid $2500.00 for the warranty your still in the red if it expires tomorrow. If you paid 1500 you made out.

kyle808 10-25-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 14847058)
Rain rain rain.

I can find any car I want without dealing with the bs at a normal dealer.

We've purchased 3 BMWs and 1 Toyota from Carmax. My experience have been excellent. Extended Warranty repairs were done in a timely manner and all I've paid was $50 for each visit. Warranty paid for itself and definitely more.

I hate the hassle of dealing with normal car dealerships.

Don Nguyen 10-25-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trizzuth (Post 14846836)
My father in law has purchased one from Carmax in Florida, and I'm always jealous we don't have them up here in the northeast. Love their car search engine and the fact that they can basically get any car from any carmax dealer within a day or two for you. Thanks for the rest of the items you noted that I was completely unaware of!

I've had the BMW CPO warranty too, and it is $50 deduct PER ITEM, which blows monkey butler ass.

That's weird. My X5 that just had some repairs done under CPO was $50 for all repairs together, not per item.

pancakes 10-25-2012 06:08 PM

had 2 friends who bought vehicles there.... one returned the car w/ minimum hassle due to problems, the other had major problems and was forced to enter a lawsuit until they finally caved.

Redline 10-25-2012 06:17 PM

you cant haggle prices and theirs are in the stratosphere...

guest1008 10-25-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 (Post 14846911)
Werd.

I have the extended warranty from Honda which is provided by a third party. Flat fee is $20 of total invoice. Covers everything. Costed me only 1k. Had only used it once last month which the total bill came out to around $17xx.xx. I only had to pay the deductible, 20 bucks.

Aren't all extended warranty is provided by third party only?

Which warranty do you have? Are you sure you have the Honda one? Dealers have been known to lie. Honda Care (not Honda Sentinel and some other ones) is administered by Honda. Honda owned, run, etc. That's why it connects to all Honda dealer computers.

I think you got ripped off by your dealer. The real Honda extended warranty has either a $0 deductible or a $100 one.

As for CarMax, I haven't been impressed with their pricing. Either the price they offer for your car (been lower than trade in offers from dealers in my experience) or the price they're selling the car for.

braymond141 10-25-2012 06:22 PM

Having friends that worked at CarMax and seeing a lot of the cars first hand... You aren't getting great cars the majority of the time. It's become a great place to pawn off garbage. I'd sell to carmax but it would be a very hard sell for me to buy from there.

GlockMan 10-25-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M=Power (Post 14847202)
you cant haggle prices and theirs are in the stratosphere...

Absolutely wrong.

Each location sets their own prices.

You can shop the entire country and have it sent to you.

I had my 330ci sent from Indy to Florida for 500. It was thousands cheaper than local and they gave me more than I could sell it for private or trade in when I sold it back to them.

I had a truck shipped from Miami to Orlando for free. It was 5k less than local.

It's all about supply and demand.

Perhaps on average they are higher, but they are also higher in quality with a return policy.

You can get an outstanding deal with just a little research and no bs arguing.

GlockMan 10-25-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braymond141 (Post 14847223)
Having friends that worked at CarMax and seeing a lot of the cars first hand... You aren't getting great cars the majority of the time. It's become a great place to pawn off garbage. I'd sell to carmax but it would be a very hard sell for me to buy from there.

Opposed to all other used car dealers. Lol.

They only sell 1/3 of what they buy. They pawn their garbage off to other dealers.

...................................

Anyway, I made this thread to state my experience not to debate. I have been happy with them and many people ask about them.

Just my opinion based on 9 transactions with them not hearsay.

benjamin1 10-25-2012 07:26 PM

They aren't a bad company and I don't think anyone here is bashing carmax, just don't think that their extended warranty is better than what dealerships can offer.

BMW_ARP 10-25-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broey v (Post 14847163)
had 2 friends who bought vehicles there.... one returned the car w/ minimum hassle due to problems, the other had major problems and was forced to enter a lawsuit until they finally caved.

And from the sounds of it, OP didnt too well either with his purchase. He had ALOT of repairs done if its a newer car he bought from carmax.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use