E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   For those that are getting Steering Sensor Error Internal (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=952515)

scarede46er 10-25-2012 07:10 PM

For those that are getting Steering Sensor Error Internal

There are a lot of people that mention getting this error when they scan their cars using BMW Scanner 1.4. Sometimes they are SOL and need to replace their sensor. However, you can try doing this:

Turn the wheel all the way to the right till lock and then all the way to left. Then centre the wheel, making sure that the wheels are straight at that point. Then use BMW scanner to clear the error.

Hopefully, it won't come back. At least it did not for me. And maybe it is my imagination, but my steering became sharper. Hope this helps!

curca 10-25-2012 07:54 PM

cool nice to know I just need to buy scanner first, last year I had to pay $90 to reset my steering angle sensor error at bmw shop,

scarede46er 10-25-2012 07:56 PM

NEVER go to the dealer. They exist to rip you off. You can pretty much do everything computer related yourself and for pretty cheap. Ebay also has INPA/EIDBAS available for cheap for things that BMW Scanner cannot do.

Zell 10-25-2012 07:58 PM

Some steering angle sensor erros can be because of electromagnetic interference, according to Bentley.

FastHackem 10-26-2012 10:12 AM

Scarede46er, were you able to reset the code before trying to turn the steering wheel back and forth? I mean, were you able to clear it and then have it pop back up later, or did you just try your method the first time and it worked? Also, what combo of lights did you have on your dash?

scarede46er 10-26-2012 10:40 AM

I did not have any lights on the dash. I daresay this will not work if your sensor is ACTUALLY faulty. The internal error without the light being thrown is usually because the sensor needs to be calibrated. The method I outlined is the way for the sensor to see all possible angles of the steering and will make your steering more accurate. But it can only work if your sensor itself is good. So I think if you have lights on the dash, this will do nothing to rectify it. However, getting the BMW scanner will tell you exactly where the fault is. Good luck and keep us posted!

FastHackem 10-26-2012 10:53 AM

Yeah I have a thread HERE, but not a whole lot of people chimed in. I have PA Soft and I just received the package deal from the Romanian guy wih INPA, SSS, DIS and what not, but have not had anytime to use the new one. The code doesn't clear with PA Soft so I want to try INPA and recalibrate that way. I am leaning more toward the recal because I just recently replaced all 4 shocks and struts and did not get an alignment until the lights came on about 3 weeeks afterwards. Unfortunately the lights are still on after the alignment. I don't think Firestone (lifetime alignment) has the proper equipment to recalibrate.

scarede46er 10-26-2012 10:58 AM

The lights will probably NOT come on if you have the original sensor matched to your car and it is not actually faulty. Try doing the recalibration yourself and if my method does not work, some sensor is most likely bad. However, PASoft will tell you which one it is.

FastHackem 11-13-2012 03:30 PM

Just an update on this thread. I used DIS to recalibrate the original sensor and the error went away and so far, 160 miles later, is still off. If you have this issue, give this a try first before going through the cost and hassle of sensor replacement.