E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   FSU or Other Problem? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=952530)

OHP 10-25-2012 08:42 PM

FSU or Other Problem?

I regret that my first post is concerning a problem with our 325i that we have had for less than a week. The A/C blower quit tonight while the control panel shows that the fan speed should be changing. I've read through several threads, all of which point to a bad FSU. Before I order a $60 part I wanted to ask if there are any other likely candidates that would cause this? I tried the fuse reset with no success. The car is an 03 but only has 88,000 miles. The blower was not making any chirping noises before it quit. Thanks for any help and the wealth of info on this forum.

///MPR77 10-25-2012 09:02 PM

Try getting into the panel where you will soon be replacing the FSU.

Wiggle the connection to the FSU while fan is on, and see if it comes back on. I'm not suggesting this as a fix, but a method of troubleshooting.

*******...the FSU gets really hot, so be careful, or be aware.

GL.

OHP 10-25-2012 09:16 PM

Thanks for the input. I actually read a thread that said to unplug it and clean the contacts. I plan to do that tomorrow before ordering the part.

Stinger9 10-25-2012 09:26 PM

At this point a used e46 is very likely a neglected BMW.
Please brace yourself to consider $60 one of the cheaper maintenance items you will undertake.
Get yourself an updated FSR and put this problem behind you.

Now focus on your cooling system. What's the story there?
Read up on CAB's yet? Know about CVV oil separator?
Know about the vanos Beisan update?

OHP 10-25-2012 09:33 PM

I am aware of all of those issues. Cooling parts ordered from pelican, installing next week. CAB's will be done as needed. Driver window reg is in the near future, or the zip tie fix. Vanos is an easy fix, only time consuming.
I bought the car from the original owner, dealer serviced, it's in excellent condition. I know there are maintenance items to address. I thought it was worth asking if it could be anything else before ordering the FSU.

Stinger9 10-25-2012 09:38 PM

Sounds like you're on top of it.
CAB's are bad unless PO has already done twice if using oe parts.

Sounds like you might even have the coveted service history with receipts!

cityjohn 10-25-2012 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 14847734)
Get yourself an updated FSR and put this problem behind you.

Yes, they are different. Don't know why but the new ones have more porcupines than the ones the cars were built with. (These were from an E36 but they're pretty much the same)

OHP 10-25-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 14847761)
Sounds like you might even have the coveted service history with receipts!

In fact I do. Every receipt since new.

Stinger9 10-25-2012 09:50 PM

Most fortunate man!

OHP 10-26-2012 01:51 PM

I did this fix today and thought I would pass some info along to the forum. I needed the FSU ASAP because my wife and kids don't care to ride around with no A/C or heat. (My blower quit completely) I called NAPA to see if they could get the part because ordering online was of course going to take a few days. They indeed were able to get it, quickly. I called at 9am and they had it by 11:30. The part came from a company called Altrom. I asked the Napa guy how they compare to OEM parts. He informed me that Altrom doesn't manufacture anything. Instead they buy overstocked parts from other suppliers and repackage it in there boxes. He said the part I get could be from various different manufacturers. Turns out the one I got is a Behr. I followed one of the DIY's on here and the blower now works perfect.

Thanks for the DIY info.

Stinger9 10-26-2012 05:50 PM

Lucked out with Behr. Name brand. Does it look like the updated version pictured above?
Others with lesser brands have repeated the repair within months.

///MPR77 10-26-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHP (Post 14849383)
I did this fix today and thought I would pass some info along to the forum. I needed the FSU ASAP because my wife and kids don't care to ride around with no A/C or heat. (My blower quit completely) I called NAPA to see if they could get the part because ordering online was of course going to take a few days. They indeed were able to get it, quickly. I called at 9am and they had it by 11:30. The part came from a company called Altrom. I asked the Napa guy how they compare to OEM parts. He informed me that Altrom doesn't manufacture anything. Instead they buy overstocked parts from other suppliers and repackage it in there boxes. He said the part I get could be from various different manufacturers. Turns out the one I got is a Behr. I followed one of the DIY's on here and the blower now works perfect.

Thanks for the DIY info.

Glad to help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 14849967)
Lucked out with Behr.

....And, + friggin 1