E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Still thinking about putting those cold air intakes on your E46? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=952611)

Mango 10-26-2012 11:51 AM

Still thinking about putting those cold air intakes on your E46?
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

A continuation in part of my "Still thinking?" series. :pimpin: Love these guys!

GSherbs 10-26-2012 11:55 AM

mmm... 7 spoke rims! love it!

GSherbs 10-26-2012 12:00 PM

This car is FI no?

Would be interesting to see similar tests on non-FI...

Cobra 10-26-2012 12:01 PM

thank you for posting this. i can show it to my friends who would waste so much money getting these useless CAI kits

boostedisbetter 10-26-2012 12:01 PM

I thought those made more than 222whp stock... guess not...

Mango 10-26-2012 12:05 PM

FI yes. even if power gains. 1) you'd still have to cut a hole in your bumper or use a csl bumper to get direct flow, 2) you'd still have to deal with an oily mess, 3) you're facing an increased risk of water ingestion, 4) our cars are already designed from the factory to pull in cold air .

so best to leave the stock setup in place.

Blueandwhite85 10-26-2012 12:05 PM

Nothing new. But I'm sure there is some jackass out there that is going to regret that $250.00 spent.:P

Mango 10-26-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 (Post 14849114)
I thought those made more than 222whp stock... guess not...

looks like they're using a dyno dynamics machine so it may read conservatively. if i'm not mistaken, japanese cars of that era were limited to 276 crank hp.

Mango 10-26-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 (Post 14849124)
Nothing new. But I'm sure there is some jackass out there that is going to regret that $250.00 spent.:P

true. nothing new. just another reminder. someone will chime in soon and say the test is invalid because ultimately the turbo/intercooler equalizes the temp regardless of intake temps. but then i'd refer them to post #6. :P

nightrunner20 10-26-2012 02:49 PM

The things I know now to what I never knew...
If I could go back in time years ago I would drop kick my 18 year old face inside out. I had a Nissan buddy talk me into one of these kits years ago. All it ever did was make a whistle noise. : facepalm:
Then again I wouldnt of got my car.

warriorpluto 10-26-2012 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrunner20 (Post 14849516)
The things I know now to what I never knew...
If I could go back in time years ago I would drop kick my 18 year old face inside out. I had a Nissan buddy talk me into one of these kits years ago. All it ever did was make a whistle noise. : facepalm:
Then again I wouldnt of got my car.

The whistles go whoooooo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

blksab65 10-26-2012 03:41 PM

so can someone tell me what a "BWM Performance Intake" would do for these cars? Just make it look cool? :lmao: (PS, I dont have one installed, nor own one/ looking too)

Mango 10-26-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blksab65 (Post 14849656)
so can someone tell me what a "BWM Performance Intake" would do for these cars? Just make it look cool? :lmao: (PS, I dont have one installed, nor own one/ looking too)

pretty much. and sound cool too!

Tament 10-26-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 14849670)
pretty much. and sound cool too!

Mango I was about to post the same...the reason for the Cold Air intake, atleast for me in my younger days was for the sound of it. I have since gotten over that, and prefer to be stealth.:clap:

ngillan 10-26-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightrunner20 (Post 14849516)
The things I know now to what I never knew...
If I could go back in time years ago I would drop kick my 18 year old face inside out. I had a Nissan buddy talk me into one of these kits years ago. All it ever did was make a whistle noise. : facepalm:
Then again I wouldnt of got my car.

Yes, I would also love to dropkick my 17 year old face off (like in the movie face-off). Notice my list of Eclipses that I've killed. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to put a $1,100 Magnaflow cat-back system on a '95 Eclipse GS :facepalm: and yes my red eclipse had altezzas.

Mango 10-26-2012 04:23 PM

yep i had an aem cold air intake on my civic. expensive and i really think i lost 10 hp. sounded really loud too. i like quiet now.

braves011 10-26-2012 06:49 PM

not completely true. I used have a 2008 X-Runner and did some dyno pulls before and after a K&N CAI (3 pulls before and 3 pulls after) the gain wasn't much only about 3-4hp average and for the $200-$300 you spend on one really isn't worth it unless you've just run out of money.

wasp9166 10-27-2012 07:54 AM

these tests are done with stock exhaust, regardless of what you try to force into the motor na speaking, if the restriction is on the other end, it's not going to make more power, in fact, it would make less because there is more of a restriction


i'll agree , it's only 3 or 4 hp on avg, and for the money it may not seem cost effective, but i think coupled with other mods it has it's place

jmo


aside from the fact, i wouldn't put much into these tool's observations

abyzzim 01-05-2016 07:00 PM

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but MCM have made another video out about CAI - this time exclusively with NA vehicles in mind.

The results of the test seemed to show a 4.16% increase in power for the Honda S2000 from a 170.6whp with the stock airbox (which is already a cold-air intake on its own and seems to have been well-designed and thought out already) to a 177.7whp with the CAI. The hp-gain has been clarified to have come from the stock airbox's vacuum at higher RPMs.

However, 4.16% is still nowhere near the claims of 10-20% that most CAI manufacturers claim, but for those who look to squeeze the most performance out of their engine (without going the forced-induction route), I feel that a well-designed CAI system should still be a viable upgrade (if you have the wallet to support, that is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA

For example:
If an E46 M3 with 333bhp gained 4.16% more power, the car will now make 347bhp - an increase of 14bhp, which should roughly translate to 11.9whp (approximating with a 15% drivetrain loss).

Geo31 01-05-2016 10:31 PM

I am not at all surprised the FI car did not make power. I'm also not at all surprised the NA did. Why? One really needs to understand how these things work. The guys in these videos don't. Oh, and claims of 20% more hp for any mod except adding forced induction is just pretty much blue sky.

Cold air intakes do NOT make power from cold air. What? you say.... I'll say it again, they do NOT make power from cold air. First of all let me say I've had 3 friends instrument 3 different cars (two different platforms) with thermocouples and data loggers. Above neighborhood speeds, the air temp under hood is, for all intents and purposes, ambient. That is, within a degree or two. Certainly nothing that would make any measurable horsepower.

The way a CAI makes power is through resonance tuning. Just like a header. It's not about "freeing up the air flow" (again, just like a header). Long-tube CAIs (and headers) make power by tuning the sound waves in the system to enhance flow. I know for a fact that AEM determines the length of their CAIs on a dyno. I've got this knowledge from two people who have witnessed this first-hand. Both are well respected automotive engineers.

This resonance tuning is far more important with an NA set-up. There are far easier ways to make power with a FI set-up for less money.

Oh yeah, peak hp is certainly not the whole story either. Sometimes the gains are not at peak.

I'm not aware of dyno testing of a long-tube CAI on a Bimmer (I'm sure it's been done, but I don't have ready access to it). Here is an article from Moto IQ about the AEM long-tube CAI on a 370Z. The author, Mike Kojima is a very good friend of mine. If he writes it, you can believe it. He doesn't BS around for anybody. He is an automotive engineer who has worked for Nissan, worked on TRD's GTP engine program, has engineered more aftermarket performance parts than you could count. He is the owner of Moto IQ (I am friends with probably half the paid staff) and a very well published automotive writer. Again, if he writes it, you can believe it. No BS.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ir-Intake.aspx


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use