E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Xenon stock lights 02 330ci (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=953272)

j_ryan415 10-30-2012 02:36 PM

Xenon stock lights 02 330ci
 
I have an 02 330ci and am thinking about upgrading to HIDs, i have seen the "xenon" sign on one of my headlamps. I am confused as to whether I just have them on my normal headlights. Also what is required for me to upgrade? Do i only need the bulbs because the lights are stock Xenon? or do i need a conversion kit as well.
Any and all information and help is appreciated. Thanks

j_ryan415 10-30-2012 02:41 PM

fog lights as well
 
I am also looking to potentially upgrade my fog lights as well. Could anyone tell me about the stock specs regarding those and what upgrading would entail, (right size, compatibility, etc.)
Thanks

Solidjake 10-30-2012 03:08 PM

Post a pic of your lights so we know what we're working with.

boostedisbetter 10-30-2012 03:09 PM

Ok let me give you some info here....

For one, HID is just an acronym for "High-Intensity Discharge", these bulbs are filled with XENON gas... So you say you have seen the "xenon" on your headlamps, which means you already have the HID XENON projector headlights. They are 4300k temp.

If you are just trying to get your headlights to look more "BLUE", you should think about doing something else to your car. Making your HIDs a higher K like 6,000k-10,000k will only make the light output LESS bright. The stock bulb temp, 4300k is the BEST light output, there is NO reason to change them.

If you must and want the "JDM YO" look, they are H7/DS2 bulbs and I would stick with 6000k.

For the fogs, you can get a HID kit for 9006 bulb size, which you can get a cheap slim set on ebay really cheap and they look fine for fogs that you don't use all the time. I'd go with a yellow HID, but that's just me. PM me if you want more info.

Solidjake 10-30-2012 03:19 PM

To add to what Tampa stated...


Don't buy any ballasts from ebay. IF you need to buy a ballast for the fogs (I don't recommend a hid kit in fog lights due to the LCM not handling the load from them, possible cluster/electrical issues, poor light diffusion due to not using projectors which are needed with any hid application) then you can buy Morimoto ballasts from www.theretrofitsource.com. Those ballast are high end and will give excellent constant power, no power issues, 110% reliable, zero problems.

For the headlights, it seems that you have OEM projectors with hid bulbs. If you don't like the color you can either get THE best bulbs Osram CBI for $180 a pair or Philips Ultinon 6000k for $100 a pair.

boostedisbetter 10-30-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 14858461)
To add to what Tampa stated...
Don't buy any ballasts from ebay. IF you need to buy a ballast for the fogs (I don't recommend a hid kit in fog lights due to the LCM not handling the load from them, possible cluster/electrical issues, poor light diffusion due to not using projectors which are needed with any hid application) then you can buy Morimoto ballasts from www.theretrofitsource.com. Those ballast are high end and will give excellent constant power, no power issues, 110% reliable, zero problems.

Just sayin... I've had $40 6000k ebay fogs on my 02 330ci for 6 months with no problems, and they have been in multiple cars for 3 years... BUUUUUT,

I honestly agree with jake in that going out of the way to purchase an HID setup for the fogs is not a good idea, like he said, there is no projector to disperse the light correctly. I just had these laying around in my storage from an old honda I had so i figured why not, and they do put out more light, I hardly ever use them though.

If I were you I'd just wait for a good deal on the e46f FS forum since your OEM bulbs are not burnt up or anything.... If you do end up taking them out, I'll take your OEM bulbs if you do want them ;)

j_ryan415 10-30-2012 03:31 PM

Awesome, thanks. I think I am going to go with a pair of 6000k bulbs, probably Phillips. Are other brands that are cheaper necessarily not worth it? Due to time before failure or other reasons?
Also, for the fogs will I need to upgrade the ballasts If i would like to just do something like an LED as opposed to doing HID?

boostedisbetter 10-30-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_ryan415 (Post 14858505)
Awesome, thanks. I think I am going to go with a pair of 6000k bulbs, probably Phillips. Are other brands that are cheaper necessarily not worth it? Due to time before failure or other reasons?
Also, for the fogs will I need to upgrade the ballasts If i would like to just do something like an LED as opposed to doing HID?

I believe the LEDs are just plug and play, you don't need a ballast, but someone else can maybe confirm this.

Solidjake 10-30-2012 03:44 PM

LED you just pop in but the light output sucks. If you want white you can get Nokya Arctic bulbs from ebay for around $20-25 shipped.

Read this about various hid bulbs for low beams

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...bout-HID-bulbs.

Solidjake 10-30-2012 03:49 PM

By the way, with the Ultinons the output color is 6000k white with a hint of blue but the light output drops greatly with higher temp bulbs

Ultinons 6000k outputs 2400 lumens vs 85122+ 4300k with 3400 lumens.

I have the 85122+ as seen below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgMmceXlkNA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNLvMfj08fg

j_ryan415 10-30-2012 04:04 PM

85122 ub
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 14858573)
By the way, with the Ultinons the output color is 6000k white with a hint of blue but the light output drops greatly with higher temp bulbs

Ultinons 6000k outputs 2400 lumens vs 85122+ 4300k with 3400 lumens.

I have the 85122+ as seen below

What about the Phillips 85122 UB? It says it is 6000k but 4300k on road since it appears very blue from the sides but from directly ahead there is no color shift.

Solidjake 10-30-2012 04:07 PM

Question is if you can find those bulbs being sold and genuine

Only Philips bulbs I usually being sold are the 85122, 85122+ and the Ultinons

j_ryan415 10-30-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 14858624)
Question is if you can find those bulbs being sold and genuine

Only Philips bulbs I usually being sold are the 85122, 85122+ and the Ultinons

Yeah I am having that problem, let alone finding them for sale at a good price. how do the prices of the ones you have mentioned vary?

Solidjake 10-30-2012 06:52 PM

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=148

Try using one of these coupon codes

TRS/HIDP, TRS34,

j_ryan415 10-30-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 14859104)
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=148

Try using one of these coupon codes

TRS/HIDP, TRS34,

This helps a lot thanks. How do you feel about the Morimoto brand bulbs. Specifically the D2S 5five. It does have a lower avg. lifetime but half of the price. It also says the average 4200 Lu, yet varies depending on Kelvin. Do you know what the lumen rating is for the 5000k or 6000k versions is? Since right now I am looking more for something in the 6000k area for the color change, yet I am somewhat flexible right now

Nick_M3 11-01-2012 03:15 PM

6000k puts out 28-33l roughly depending on manufacturer and ballast. www.extremeHID.com makes an awesome 6000k bulb that puts out a good white light with just a hint more blue than yellow. As for fogs just replace them with a whiter halogen if you don't want the issues. It would be cool to see someone do a project on a separate fog system with xenons.

Solidjake 11-01-2012 03:23 PM

A forum here just bought Morimoto bulbs and said they have bad output. He is going with Philips now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use