E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   2004 E46 Turbo Sedan (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=953429)

RightCoastRipper 10-31-2012 11:10 AM

2004 E46 Turbo Sedan

I have a 5 speed E46 that I want more power out of. I was debating buying a new car to mod but this one is paid off so I figured I could have some fun with it. Can anyone please post some threads that are trubo related to this exact car? Where is the best place to buy to get a solid deal on a kit?
Thanks...

YES I HAVE SEARCHED AND CANOT FIND what I am looking for so sorry.

:hi:

RightCoastRipper 10-31-2012 11:11 AM

And by starting this thread I can use it to ask other questions for my specific car so once again sorry before I get roasted for not searching hard enough lol

Snapasaurus 10-31-2012 11:33 AM

Do you have a 325 or 330? While browsing eBay, I saw a few 325 turbo kits for just under 1k.

Wibbles 10-31-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapasaurus (Post 14860700)
Do you have a 325 or 330? While browsing eBay, I saw a few 325 turbo kits for just under 1k.

But thats Ebay. A decent Supercharger or Turbo kit that is actually from a reputable company, (you know its going to be reliable and not crap out with 20k miles) with Tune is going to set you back 5k just for the Kit not even install.....

Not to mention how many miles is already on your 2004 325i (its in your profile so im guessing thats your car) It would be honestly cheaper to sell the 325i add less then the 5k of the install of the Turbo/Super and get a 330i....or an M3 even.

PH03NIX46 10-31-2012 11:44 AM

If you can properly turbocharge a 325, create a DIY for the rest of us to see.

You can buy all the necessary parts with ease, the problem is tuning it correctly. Maybe Nick at Technique Tuning can help you out.

louie586 10-31-2012 11:47 AM

Why bother? Keep the cash, sell the 325 (which will NEVER be "fast"), and buy an M3 which has more power right out of the box.

Not to mention you'd have an open diff turbo 325. What's the fun in that? One wheel peels? No thanks...

golf_234 10-31-2012 11:48 AM

not worth it, just get a 335 or something if you really want a turbo...

GhostFlame 10-31-2012 11:52 AM

Sell your car to an older woman by the name of Bessy or Janet

jerseyzillest 10-31-2012 11:52 AM

Be different and do it! I have had thoughts of doing it myself but have no time.

golf_234 10-31-2012 11:58 AM

Such a waste.. I guess if it's purely hobby, cool i guess. But if you really want speed you are so much better off just buying a platform that was made for it, rather than driving around in a Frankenstein car. (Which was really nice in the first place). In my opinion it is just spending a lot of money and ruining the car.

MercForHire 10-31-2012 12:02 PM

turboing a 325 is like trying to send a retard son to harvard

RightCoastRipper 10-31-2012 12:19 PM

This is my dilema! I have my 325 2004 sedan as a perfectly reliable/ cheap daily driver with 130k on the odometer. I have kept EVERYTHING up to date, the car looks flawless.

It recently had a new OEM color paint job about a year ago so thats a plus for the exterior. But I want a performance car. I keep debating whether to save the difference I would spend into modifying this car which is paid off and all, or just getting an e90 335i which already has a twin turbo and dumping some money into that which is already turbo'd and ready to respond well to mods and ect... Then use my e46 as a daily driver until the wheels decide to come off

golf_234 10-31-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightCoastRipper (Post 14860824)
This is my dilema! I have my 325 2004 sedan as a perfectly reliable/ cheap daily driver with 130k on the odometer. I have kept EVERYTHING up to date, the car looks flawless.

It recently had a new OEM color paint job about a year ago so thats a plus for the exterior. But I want a performance car. I keep debating whether to save the difference I would spend into modifying this car which is paid off and all, or just getting an e90 335i which already has a twin turbo and dumping some money into that which is already turbo'd and ready to respond well to mods and ect... Then use my e46 as a daily driver until the wheels decide to come off

The 325 is amazing as is. Just keep it. Buy a new car when you have more money. Get into mutual funds or investments rather than being a no name like the other 90% of the country always in debt.
The n54 motor is fantastic no denying it, literally just by getting the jb4 i have added absurd power to the car. but at the end of the day it just is asking for trouble ya it is cool knowing your car is fast but do i wake up considerably happier? eh i mean, whatever !. just pay off your current car and buy a new car when you can afford it. the turbo project would be a very VERY large mistake.

cposk 10-31-2012 12:28 PM

This is Amurica! Take the 5k you would spend on a turbo, put 1k down on a slightly used 335i and use the rest to cover payments for the next year.

Don't worry about the years after. Believe me, things will get better. They always do.

Buy it now, pay for it later. The Amurican way!

But seriously, don't turbo a 325 unless you have money and time to waste. Much better projects if you are looking for speed.

RightCoastRipper 10-31-2012 01:02 PM

Like I said the car has been paid off for years now... I have no idea what the rant is about with getting into mutual funds and ect and I guess you're implying that I cannot afford one and will contribute to the current debt of our nation because I am young and financially retarded.

Anyways, for your future posts; keep in mind that I am 22, and have invested in several mutual funds. I also already have a Roth IRA (retirement acct) which gets fed every year. My education is funded by my educational account which has enough to pay for my year left in school (and some left over which can be used for a new lab top or whatever is arguable for education purposes) so no expense there. I have a full time job and my car is paid for (once again no expense). I do not drink or do anything that "typical" 22 years old do. I feel that I am quite financially mature by today's standard. And frankly I am bored and want to enjoy life, so I am quite sure I can responsibly do so by purchasing within my means. And the hobby of owning a "fast car" is what I want, and yeah it's expensive; but better than the destructive behavior that most people my age participate in.

[End Rant]

And btw I came from a single parent so none of that bs "parents paid for it", along the way I learned to D.I.Y. all on my own with no pops there to help, and YouTube of course. Lol so I think I am ready to step it up.

golf_234 10-31-2012 01:38 PM

Respect. Well in that case i'd prob just go 335 or 135 . if it were me at least.

choxor 10-31-2012 01:47 PM

Do what you want, it's your car, but personally I'd keep it stock, complete that last year of school, and buy something else after you get a job.

EverydayGetaway 10-31-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightCoastRipper (Post 14860967)
Like I said the car has been paid off for years now... I have no idea what the rant is about with getting into mutual funds and ect and I guess you're implying that I cannot afford one and will contribute to the current debt of our nation because I am young and financially retarded.

Anyways, for your future posts; keep in mind that I am 22, and have invested in several mutual funds. I also already have a Roth IRA (retirement acct) which gets fed every year. My education is funded by my educational account which has enough to pay for my year left in school (and some left over which can be used for a new lab top or whatever is arguable for education purposes) so no expense there. I have a full time job and my car is paid for (once again no expense). I do not drink or do anything that "typical" 22 years old do. I feel that I am quite financially mature by today's standard. And frankly I am bored and want to enjoy life, so I am quite sure I can responsibly do so by purchasing within my means. And the hobby of owning a "fast car" is what I want, and yeah it's expensive; but better than the destructive behavior that most people my age participate in.

[End Rant]

And btw I came from a single parent so none of that bs "parents paid for it", along the way I learned to D.I.Y. all on my own with no pops there to help, and YouTube of course. Lol so I think I am ready to step it up.

Instead of earning my respect with that post, you lost it. Nobody said anything about your age or budget in this thread. Do you suffer from Napoleon Complex?

That said, you can piece together a turbo kit for around $3k, but tuning gets pricy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

RightCoastRipper 10-31-2012 02:29 PM

You are right in that no one said anything about my "age or budget" thats why I used the word "imply". And no complex I am 6'5.

Anyway, I am coming to the conclusion that it is really not a car worth modifying? I am kind of suprised to get that out of an e46 forum though. and when you say around 3k for making a kit, where would you shop for this? Cheapes thing I have come up with is 4-5k.

GarlicBread911 10-31-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightCoastRipper (Post 14860967)
I do not drink or do anything that "typical" 22 years old do. I feel that I am quite financially mature by today's standard. And frankly I am bored and want to enjoy life

Smoke a J :str8pimpi

As for your car, I used to have a 325ci and also wanted more power. I sold it, saved some cash and bought my M3. It's so much better in every way, noticeably, than the 325. I've had it for almost 2 years now and I just now feel comfortable enough with the power to want more. Since it's an M3 though, when I want more power, I can get it (with $ of course). I highly recommend looking into an E46 M3.