E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Official idiot asking about handguns for HD (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=953430)

ryanwhite74115 10-31-2012 11:11 AM

Official idiot asking about handguns for HD

So I've read what I feel like are 1,000 threads...even the stickies at the top.

Went to Gander Mountain in NC last week to check out some pistols for HD (really HD only...maybe some range just to practice and not suck). Also, looking at normal to smaller guns not for carry purposes but so that my wife can handle the gun too. Her hands are not ridiculously small but they aren't man hands either.

I had some ideas in mind and left with only 2-3 guns that I liked holding. I HAVE NOT SHOT ANY OF THEM. Before purchase I will be taking a safety class at a minimum. Done plenty of shotgun shooting and some rifle...but no handguns besides a Luger (Nazi pistol... :drool: ) and a .38 special revolver.

Sig Sauer P229: I loved the grip (sandpaper style)...best feeling gun I felt out of about 20 different models and makers (all semi 9's) and I never worried about losing grip.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229.aspx

Three problems/questions: I swear on my life the price said $1099.00 and it was the base model. That same model online at Gander is $899.00 and around $800 elsewhere. Anyone run into this issue?
2nd Q: The gun seemed a little more complicated than say...the springfield. Maybe because it was a DA/SA??? It had a lot more toggles and switches than I was expecting. The release for the clip however was perfect.
3rd Q: What are the real differences between the P229 and P226? I've heard some say the P226 is stamped steel where others say all new P226s are solid steel...others say the P226 is a little larger on the grip (circumference) and a slightly longer barrel so it's better for HD since there should be less recoil. Seen other people that swear they shoot better with the P229. Also...why is the P229 more expensive...it's smaller.

SA XD-M 9: Loved the double safety feature (on the back of the grip and the middle thing on the trigger...forgive my ignorance on the terms :facepalm: ). Hated the grip compared to the Sig...that chunky plastic stuff is weird for a grip and it seems that most manufacturers are using that over the Sig's option, but otherwise was quite nice to hold and was definitely lighter (polymer frame...duh).

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_5.html

SW M&P Compact 9 (not the shield model...didn't carry it): Was hoping to see the Shield model...felt nice enough...was a little on the low side for price ($550) so I somewhat, in my idiotic newb brain, question the quality/reliability. Loved how the magzine had that little bit of extra grip so my pinkie could attach to the grip instead of falling to the wayside.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Seller was a former vet from Gulf War who had pretty extensive experience with handguns and a whole lot more. He agreed that a 9mm sounded like the right course because a .45 might produce too much recoil for my wife in a panic.

Also, I know I want a tactical light mounted to the accessory rail. Any suggestions on a brand?

I did not pick up a single glock (sorry glockman). I've read a lot about them (always fire even in mud and shat) but I've also read about the awkward grip angle. To be frank, I'll probably check them out anyways...but I didn't at the time. Guy told me that a 1911 series would probably not be for me and/or the mouth since they are single magazine (low capacity), large, and have a lot of internals that need regular maintenance (springs???). Kinda confused about that since it seems a ton of people have 1911's and they were a staple for WWII and beyond...thoughts?

He didn't have the Berretta 92FS. The HK 40 was too expensive and didn't feel right...same with HK USP Tactical. Quality, just not the right feel.

Also...as far as I have read...first priority with these guns is comfort...if the gun doesn't fit you'll shoot like crap. Second priority should be to shoot the gun before you buy since it seems that almost everybody has regrets (expensive and cheap guns alike). Been reading that I should go to a range and "rent" these guns. How much does that cost on average?

Any other gun suggestions or affirmations or denials of the statements above? My original budget for the gun was $750 or less, and then some for accessories, ammo, safety course, and a gun safe (small one obviously).

Any locations for Ranges/local gun stores in the Raleigh, NC area?

Rush4theYehO 10-31-2012 11:21 AM

Im on my phone and can't type up a more coherent/longer post....but I definitely feel you did the right thing. Feeling the guns in hand is a huge step in buying te gun for YOU.

All picks you listed are well known pistols that have a record of working well. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

That said, I have a newly used sig 229 in 9mm that I'm selling. ;)

ryanwhite74115 10-31-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO (Post 14860665)
That said, I have a newly used sig 229 in 9mm that I'm selling. ;)

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/29350427.jpg

SamDoe1 10-31-2012 11:33 AM

Nice job in doing at least this much leg work to find the right gun.

The S&W M&P9 is a fantastic gun and is very reliable, don't let the price fool you.

If you didn't like the Springfield XD-m, then try the non-M. I had the same issue with the M vs the non M grips and ended up getting a normal XD9 as I found it more comfortable to hold than anything else. I'm not accurate enough for the gun to be the limitation anyway.

For Tac lights, I have a Streamlight TLR-1.

david05111 10-31-2012 11:34 AM

Well, it's good that you did research before going and checking stuff out. And it's also good that you went there with a fairly open mind and aside from th Glock, didn't really limit yourself on what you looked at.

All the guns you liked are high quality. The P229 is one of sigs most popular pistols if I recall. As for the price, they are pretty expensive. Maybe it had night sights that were an add-on or something? Otherwise, you can always order it onlineand save the money + the tax...just gave to pay the transfer fee.

The XD-M is very popular and by all accounts that I've read, loved by people who have them. They have a large ammo capacity and plenty of safety features.

Over the years, I've slowly started to like S&W again. Years back, I thought they were absolute junk (sigma line for instance). Now, they're one of the most highly rated pistols out there at a great price.

When people say the first priority is comfort, they are most likely referring to being comfortable (aka. confident) shooting it, not simply comfortable holding it in your hands. That being said, there is something to be said about being comfortable with the design and feel of the weapon and not being intimidated by it.

You're on the right track; I'd go and rent a few. Generally, the cost is Range time (10-15 bucks) + ammunition (50 rounds per gun probably) + the rental. Now, some places rent on a gun-by-gun basis and each gun rents for like 10 bucks all afternoon. But some ranges will charge you like $20 for all day rentals and for that, you can shoot every gun in the case. You have to buy ammo from them though.

That is exactly what I tell people to do; go shoot them.

A comment about the shield; it's a fantastic gun and I highly recommend you seek one out to pick up and have a look at. Trouble is, I very much doubt you'll find one to rent. They're very in-demand at the moment. If you keep an eye on the range, you might get lucky and see one who has one that might let you run a few rounds through it though.

Your budget is reasonable, certainly for the S&W or the Springfield. You won't stay under it with the Sig.

tattooed_sailor 10-31-2012 01:01 PM

Definitely go shoot them. If they fit your hand thats great, but to actually use it...

I love Sig's triggers above most other stock triggers. But that is my hand and experience, you really need to get out and try them all.

daedalus34r 10-31-2012 01:33 PM

yea give the glock a look. It's easy to pick on it based on what you read or how it looks, but you can't deny how it will feel and shoot. It shot just fine when i used it, and that's what counts the most.

Minor threadjack: what do the experts here feel about the HK USP9? It's in a similar price range what OP is looking at. I personally am tempted to pick it up.

Rush4theYehO 10-31-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus34r (Post 14861034)
yea give the glock a look. It's easy to pick on it based on what you read or how it looks, but you can't deny how it will feel and shoot. It shot just fine when i used it, and that's what counts the most.

Minor threadjack: what do the experts here feel about the HK USP9? It's in a similar price range what OP is looking at. I personally am tempted to pick it up.

Used to have two, fill size ad compact in 9. The gun is dead nuts reliable, but what made me unload mine were the mushy trigger, expensive magazines and wonky mag release. Accurate and reliable though. The usp is still being used in European police/military circles too. How much is the asking price?? Is it new or used?

*edit - the usp, that is

daedalus34r 10-31-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO (Post 14861105)
How much is the asking price?? Is it new or used?

*edit - the usp, that is

I think the MSRP is $800~900. Im going to start browsing the local shops to see if what the latest pricing is.

GlockMan 10-31-2012 06:41 PM

research smesearch...

buy a Glock

XKxRome0ox 10-31-2012 06:58 PM

Another vote for glock
I went to the range disliking glock based on the design and how it felt in my hand (felt like a toy to me)
But ended up leaving the range liking glock over everything else
I shot the most accurately with glocks and have grown to love the design now

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Rush4theYehO 10-31-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daedalus34r (Post 14861401)
I think the MSRP is $800~900. Im going to start browsing the local shops to see if what the latest pricing is.

For a USP? No way. That sounds like a new gun. You can find police used USP's for $5-600

tailo 10-31-2012 07:42 PM

I'd get a m9 or a 92fs. Large capacity mag, DA/SA with decocker and less recoil than a glock so your wife will be happy. Theres .22 kits out there also for cheap plinking.

It's large for CC but for a HD gun its ideal.

No experiance what so ever.... I suggest a glock. Just pull the trigger.

Seems you like the luger, there with in your price range. A bit dated but they still work..I carry mine from time to time.

If you want to make the trip up I'm near blacksburg VA, I'm at the range every sunday. Between me and a couple of my friends theres not many guns that we dont have. Just tell us what you want to shoot and I'll find it for you, just bring ammo. I've got access to everything from antique colts to belt fed m2hb fifties and a couple silenced submachine guns.

david05111 10-31-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 14861806)
research smesearch...

buy a Glock

:rofl: coming from the guy who if i recall correctly has been touting the newer S&Ws...

About the USP9...I only have the .45, but I love it. Magazines are crazy expensive though...

GlockMan 10-31-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david05111 (Post 14862017)
:rofl: coming from the guy who if i recall correctly has been touting the newer S&Ws...

About the USP9...I only have the .45, but I love it. Magazines are crazy expensive though...

Yea, well, ya know...

I hate reading.

:facepalm:

Locutus09 10-31-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailo (Post 14861953)
I'd get a m9 or a 92fs. Large capacity mag, DA/SA with decocker and less recoil than a glock so your wife will be happy. Theres .22 kits out there also for cheap plinking.

It's large for CC but for a HD gun its ideal.

No experiance what so ever.... I suggest a glock. Just pull the trigger.

Seems you like the luger, there with in your price range. A bit dated but they still work..I carry mine from time to time.

If you want to make the trip up I'm near blacksburg VA, I'm at the range every sunday. Between me and a couple of my friends theres not many guns that we dont have. Just tell us what you want to shoot and I'll find it for you, just bring ammo. I've got access to everything from antique colts to belt fed m2hb fifties and a couple silenced submachine guns.

Trigger pull is SO heavy on those guns.

OP - Go out and shoot. I have a M&P40c and my dad has a M&P9c. Wouldn't buy anything else.

bmwdude330 10-31-2012 08:55 PM

M&P 9 pro. You won't be disappointed.

tailo 10-31-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus09 (Post 14862074)
Trigger pull is SO heavy on those guns.

OP - Go out and shoot. I have a M&P40c and my dad has a M&P9c. Wouldn't buy anything else.

Yes but thats very easily fixable.

Heres my m9 that I did a few years ago. It's a simple spring swap. They sell a main spring called a "D" spring. I used a 1911 spring and knocked 2 coils off.

Average: 4.75lb's DA trigger pull, 3.25 lb's SA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQgx2Gwaly4

I started with civi M9 and stripped it to a bare frame. I spent ALOT of time and $$$ replacing ALL of the parts with the proper USGI parts. It's 100% usgi besides the frame and its civi m9 prefix. It's as close to a real deal with out getting your hands on a general officers model or one of the very rare over runs that was sold to the civi market with the government sn range.

Given this is your first firearm id stay away from anything in the 1k range, it could be a waste of $$$ if your not going to be a "gun guy" A used beretta can be had for roughly $350.

Glocks are a good choice but they are alittle lack luster, they have no personality. I like them, I've owned alot of them but they dont stay around to long.

Another good option are the J frame revolvers. I keep one in my jacket pocket while I'm at work.

daedalus34r 10-31-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO (Post 14861847)
For a USP? No way. That sounds like a new gun. You can find police used USP's for $5-600

yea i believe that is new msrp. I would be down for a good condition used in that price range if it's available.

NOVAbimmer 11-01-2012 11:07 AM

bought my Glock 21 about 8 years ago, it's still my favorite handgun, and still the one that stays next to the bed.