E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Smg cog light after car wash???? Can water be a factor? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=954538)

Stuntman89 11-06-2012 06:59 PM

Smg cog light after car wash???? Can water be a factor?

Hello guys I'm new to the forum although I've spent countless hours reading many threads posted. Despite reading literally 30 SMG cog light problem posts, I've still felt the need to start this quick thread. So some background about the car, It's a 2004 e46 m3 convertible with an SMG transmission and 95000klms on the clock. About a month ago I had the cog light come on and the car was dropping in and out of gears, We replaced the gear selector sensor And the relay This fixed the problem. (Thanks to this forum :) Just yesterday I washes the car in the driveway after quite a spirited drive And about an hour later left for a journey Of course when I started the car my SMG Cog light was displayed Although absolutely no driving problems whatsoever for about an hour's journey through peak hour traffic the whole time the light on. After reaching my journey when I turned on and off the car the light was gone. The car was used for a small seen in a movie and was driven forwards and backwards about 30 times without another single problem or the SMG light been displayed. I drove it All the way back home with no I have no problems. I have booked in to see my local Indy who fixed the sensors but My main question is has anyone had any similar sorts of problems related to water issues or something along those lines And is this even a feasible thought?

Many thanks

sakumaxp 11-06-2012 07:18 PM

get the codes read and report back.

illestminimike 11-06-2012 07:37 PM

Yup. Get the codes. Probably nothing serious. Could just need a new battery.

roadtrip1098 11-07-2012 03:30 PM

Only offering a best guess here, but there are a couple of connectors on the underside that aren't protected all that well, something could have just gotten wet. If you washed the engine bay at all, the possibilities are endless.

Stuntman89 11-12-2012 07:28 PM

So update, spot on diagnosis it was a battery charge lvl fault and the guy from the shop said he'd cleared and it was no stress. :) pretty happy.

Just a boring question if my Intension is a normal drive to the shops or work what does everyone use on there smg settings. I read so much conflicting info, I find in manual and drive logic it is all out rough when I casually shift to second from first. Just a opinion question for you guys.

Thanks heaps Elliot

roadtrip1098 11-12-2012 07:43 PM

The general consensus is 1-2 for slippery stuff, lvl 3 for in town, 4-5 for highway, 6 for the track or being a jackass on the street.

illestminimike 11-12-2012 11:09 PM

I use 4 around turn. Fast enough and not to bad on rear end thump. But I use 5 on the freeway for quicker downshifts

Stuntman89 11-13-2012 05:37 AM

Is it possible to change the startup presets? Like I do drive a lot in drive logic mode but on its shift 2 settings its crap.

roadtrip1098 11-13-2012 08:07 AM

It should retain the settings in Standard mode when you shut the car off. Auto will always revert. I've looked through progman and DIS and there are a few settings that can be changed regarding this but I have yet to try it. I also recall something about programmable keys for different drivers.