E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Grinding Noise from Rear of car (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=954980)

MTREEZY 11-08-2012 07:22 PM

Grinding Noise from Rear of car

So I think that the problem is that i need to change the differential fluid but i'm not exactly sure. I've done it before but this would be the second time i'd have to do it and I have only 48,000 miles on my 2005 Bmw M3. I have a video clip of the noise is making. If anyone can shed any more light please feel to chime in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CSspX4aR8

scca_ziptie 11-08-2012 07:42 PM

I like the comment in the video "could be brake dust." Haha, definitely not. What it does sound like is the brake dust shield rubbing on the rotor as the car moves. Have you checked it to see if it is contacting the rotor? Maybe a rock lodged between the shield and rotor?

If your diff was making that kind of sound, your car more than likely wouldn't be moving.. And if it actually ends up being the diff that is making that noise, changing the fluid in the 'new replacement diff' is probably what you should do.

Seriously though, check the dust shield for debris/warp.

lucky_doggg7 11-09-2012 04:15 AM

Dude - that is a small rock stuck between the rotor and the dust shield that is located on the backside of the rotor, or it is the rotor rubbing against aforementioned dust shield. I had this same noise after haphazardly cutting (and I must have inadvertently bent the dust shield) so that it rubbed against the rotor when I installed my Brembo rear bbk. Remove the rear wheel, get a long screwdriver and insert it between the rotor and dust shield, then perform a prying motion all around the rotor's perimeter to move the dust shield away from the rotor.

HiHoBrian 11-09-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 (Post 14885093)
Dude - that is a small rock stuck between the rotor and the dust shield that is located on the backside of the rotor, or it is the rotor rubbing against aforementioned dust shield. I had this same noise after haphazardly cutting (and I must have inadvertently bent the dust shield) so that it rubbed against the rotor when I installed my Brembo rear bbk. Remove the rear wheel, get a long screwdriver and insert it between the rotor and dust shield, then perform a prying motion all around the rotor's perimeter to move the dust shield away from the rotor.

This sounds exactly right to me. I have had this happen two or 3 times. Twice I was able to reach through the wheel and push on the shield and hear the rock drop out. Another time it was really jammed and I had to pull the wheel off.
sent from my ATARI sc1224

Slyde 11-09-2012 05:57 AM

Could also be something in the e-brake drum. It might be worthwhile to take it apart, clean it up a bit, and adjust anything (I suggest doing so without disassembling the drum pads from their mounting because the springs are pretty stiff to reattach, but doable).

S54Dan 11-09-2012 07:31 AM

Sounds like a rock in between your brakes

Edit: oops just saw it was posted above

MTREEZY 11-09-2012 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to get the car up on the jacks and check the shield for debris as suggested and will report back. Hopefully that is all that is..

MTREEZY 11-11-2012 01:38 PM

So no debris has fallen out of the rotor/dust guard. But when fiddling with it, it did make a noise that sounded like the dust guard was bent back into place.. I have no heard any further noise. Thanks again

Ballstowalls 11-11-2012 05:35 PM

Lmfao brake dust !!

dilburt 11-14-2012 08:34 PM

Rear brake rotor shield

If I recall correctly, there was a service bulletin regarding e46 rear rotor shields around that model year. It was related to heat causing the shields to warp and contact the rotor which made a grinding noise like this. I believe they issued a replacement shield part that solved the problem.

D