E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Political Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Papa John's CEO Says Company Will Reduce Workers' Hours In Response To Obamacare (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955285)

phrozen06 11-10-2012 05:54 PM

Papa John's CEO Says Company Will Reduce Workers' Hours In Response To Obamacare
 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...usaolp00000009

Quote:

The Huffington Post | By Harry Bradford
Posted: 11/09/2012 5:59 pm EST Updated: 11/10/2012 3:23 pm EST

In the wake of President Obama's reelection, one CEO is doubling down on his criticisms of Obamacare.

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter said he plans on passing the costs of health care reform to his business onto his workers. Schnatter said he will likely reduce workers' hours, as a result of President Obama's reelection, the Naples News reports. Schnatter made headlines over the summer when he told shareholders that the cost of a Papa John's pizza will increase by between 11 and 14 cents due to Obamacare.

"I got in a bunch of trouble for this," he said, referring to the comments he made in August, according to Naples News. "That's what you do, is you pass on costs. Unfortunately, I don't think people know what they're going to pay for this."

Schnatter went on to say he's neither in support of, nor against the Affordable Care Act, even admitting that "the good news is 100 percent of the population is going to have health insurance." But he's not the only one in the chain restaurant industry to admit that workers hours may be reduced, since Obamacare mandates that only employees that work more than 30 hours per week are covered under their employers health insurance plan. For example, Darden restaurants, the parent company of Olive Garden and Red Lobster, has already experimented with reducing workers hours in anticipation of the legislation.

Others have responded to the added costs of Obamacare more harshly, including Applebee's franchisee owner Zane Tankel who said his company won't hire new workers because of the law. Just this week, a Georgia business owner also claimed he cut employees due to Obamacare and in fact had specifically laid off those who he thought had voted for President Obama.
More Backlash because Obama won. :rofl:

MDydinanM 11-10-2012 05:56 PM

Between 11 and 14 cents?

Oh my....I'm at a loss for words.

Lair 11-10-2012 06:12 PM

I will never buy another PJ's pizza.

MDydinanM 11-10-2012 06:15 PM

Wonder if PJ's owner ever considered docking some of his own pay or corporate's pay instead of sticking it to the little guy :rofl:

"That's what you do, pass on the costs" :rofl:

Oh well. A business is a business and it's a free market economy. He's free to run his business as he chooses. Just sucks for the lower rank and file employees.

Lair 11-10-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdyaman (Post 14888914)
Wonder if PJ's owner ever considered docking some of his own pay or corporate's pay instead of sticking it to the little guy :rofl:

"That's what you do, pass on the costs" :rofl:

Oh well. A business is a business and it's a free market economy. He's free to run his business as he chooses. Just sucks for the lower rank and file employees.

He's gotta pay rent on this house:

http://mansionsandmore.files.wordpre...8-59-38-pm.png

MDydinanM 11-10-2012 06:23 PM

Jeebus. :eeps:

Well hey, he's a successful businessman and I'm not going to criticize him for being successful. I hope there can be some way to absorb some incurred costs that will allow employees not to be affected, but this is not my area of expertise.

I just think it's unfortunate that the little guy gets stuck holding the bag since the costs are "passed on."


Quote:

Originally Posted by Lair (Post 14888922)


Lair 11-10-2012 06:27 PM

The driveway on the right goes to his massive underground garage.

I*do*Werke 11-10-2012 06:36 PM

Jesus that house is amazing, more of an estate than a house though... There are what appears to be 2 underground entrances, one on the right and the other on the left below the round-a-bout

Edit: http://homesoftherich.net/2008/12/th...a-johns-built/

Quote:

This 40,000 square foot mega-mansion is owned by John Schnatter. Schnatter is the founder, chairman, and CEO of the Papa John's pizza chain. The castle-like mansion was designed by Don Evans, and Orlando architect. It also has a multilevel subterranean garage with 22 parking spaces, an office for valet parking, a built-in car wash and a giant motorized turntable to help move limousines. It is divided into 14 parking spaces for the family on one level and eight spaces for guests on another, with an elevator between the two floors. John had a net worth of $402.6 million back in 2006, a figure that has definitely risen over recent years.

fitzi6_7 11-10-2012 06:40 PM

The guy started his company for $2500 bucks and the back of a bar. Worked his ass off and paid cash to expand his stores one after the other. He provides literally millions of dollars each year to schools and local charities. Won't begrudge him for being successful. He is merely being honest.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

MDydinanM 11-10-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzi6_7 (Post 14888950)
The guy started his company for $2500 bucks and the back of a bar. Worked his ass off and paid cash to expand his stores one after the other. He provides literally millions of dollars each year to schools and local charities. Won't begrudge him for being successful. He is merely being honest.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

Agree. I'm not going to criticize him for working hard and being successful.

badfast 11-10-2012 06:44 PM

People will need healthcare, especially after eating the **** that is in PJ's pizzas.

'busa 11-10-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdyaman (Post 14888952)
Agree. I'm not going to criticize him for working hard and being successful.

He shouldn't be criticized for that. He should be criticized for being an assh0le. He COULD have said "Due to new legislation, the price of our pizza will have to increase a very small bit, but look on the bright side: a bunch of our people will have health insurance!"

MDydinanM 11-10-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'busa (Post 14888969)
He shouldn't be criticized for that. He should be criticized for being an assh0le. He COULD have said "Due to new legislation, the price of our pizza will have to increase a very small bit, but look on the bright side: a bunch of our people will have health insurance!"

Touché

Lair 11-10-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfast (Post 14888955)
People will need healthcare, especially after eating the **** that is in PJ's pizzas.

:rofl:

I'll never eat another one.

rapier7 11-10-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdyaman (Post 14888885)
Between 11 and 14 cents?

Oh my....I'm at a loss for words.

That's the problem with incrementalism. People might think paying 11-14 cents more for a pizza is no big deal. But if everybody's paying 11-14 cents more for everything they buy, it adds up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdyaman (Post 14888914)
Wonder if PJ's owner ever considered docking some of his own pay or corporate's pay instead of sticking it to the little guy :rofl:

"That's what you do, pass on the costs" :rofl:

Oh well. A business is a business and it's a free market economy. He's free to run his business as he chooses. Just sucks for the lower rank and file employees.

Look on the bright side. Since they're cutting existing hours, at least now they can hire more part time employees!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'busa (Post 14888969)
He shouldn't be criticized for that. He should be criticized for being an assh0le. He COULD have said "Due to new legislation, the price of our pizza will have to increase a very small bit, but look on the bright side: a bunch of our people will have health insurance!"

That's not it at all. He (more like his franchisees) is going to cut his employees' hours precisely so they don't qualify for health insurance.

'busa 11-10-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapier7 (Post 14889147)
That's not it at all. He (more like his franchisees) is going to cut his employees' hours precisely so they don't qualify for health insurance.

Employee morale isn't important at all.

kaput 11-10-2012 09:52 PM

I love this. Every dem in here is getting their panties in a twist over every business that announces this kind of thing.

Walmart
Papa John's
That local guy who you all wanted to starve in the streets.

Wait till it gets worse. Wait until many stores and chains do this. Are you never going to buy groceries? Are you never going to shop at any stores for items you need/want? What if Amazon cut warehouse hours because of this. Never shop at amazon?

I can't wait to see the reaction of the country, when the majority of businesses start doing this. It will be a hilarious ride for everyone.

330iPilot 11-10-2012 10:28 PM

Why don't you guys place the blame where it really belongs? Squarely on the shoulders of Obama. If it wasn't for Obama ramrodding through his signature piece of legislation, despite the will of the majority of Americans, all these people would still have their jobs.

Your so quick to blame the business owners but you fail to blame the truly responsible party.

ThaHooch 11-10-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaput (Post 14889301)
I love this. Every dem in here is getting their panties in a twist over every business that announces this kind of thing.

Walmart
Papa John's
That local guy who you all wanted to starve in the streets.

Wait till it gets worse. Wait until many stores and chains do this. Are you never going to buy groceries? Are you never going to shop at any stores for items you need/want? What if Amazon cut warehouse hours because of this. Never shop at amazon?

I can't wait to see the reaction of the country, when the majority of businesses start doing this. It will be a hilarious ride for everyone.

:werd: the only difference between this guy and other prudent business owners, is that he is talking publicly about it. I love how dems think money grows on trees...add as much tax and regulation you want on business and the 1%ers, YOU will be the one paying for it.

bimmerfan08 11-10-2012 10:41 PM

This is why I am fiscally conservative and I'll take that to my grave


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use