E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   bigger calipers (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955549)

m3ane46 11-12-2012 10:16 AM

bigger calipers

is there any caliper kit other than paying 3k or more for bigger rotors ?

M3LIKECHIPS 11-12-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ane46 (Post 14892328)
is there any caliper kit other than paying 3k or more for bigger rotors ?

I run the Stoptech ST40 kit, under 3K and excellent, especially if you plan on running 18" wheels.

ModBargains III 11-12-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3LIKECHIPS (Post 14892582)
I run the Stoptech ST40 kit, under 3K and excellent, especially if you plan on running 18" wheels.

+1 St-40 kit, 355mm rotor is still under $3k, or if you really want to go inexpensive, there is a 332mm rotor kit with the St-40 which we can get you here:

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Pr...3_Stoptech.jpg
Stoptech Big Brake Kit BMW E46 M3

PM/Email or call if you have any questions - 714.582.3330 extension 8002 - just ask for Jurrian when you call in!

lucky_doggg7 11-12-2012 06:52 PM

OP - Keep an eye open on the "Classified" / "For Sale" section. There are Fellahs selling brake kits all the time on this Forum and on M3Forum.net. Like anything related to the M3, nothing is going to be inexpensive, and this is what I want to give you a heads up on.

Here is a summary of what it cost me recently to service my BBK... The least expensive 380 x 25 Brembo rotor I could find was at Tire Rack for $400 dollars for ONE cross drilled rotor. You need two so you can do the math. I also wanted a slightly more aggressive pad for the Brembo 6 piston caliper, cough up $420 at Porterfield for a set of R4-S pads. It is recommended to change out the "pins" that hold the rotor onto the aluminum hat, cough up another $140 bux! Add two bottles of Motul 600 for $50 more dollars. Yeesh.

So when it comes time to replace/refurbish your BBK, you have been properly forewarned, your wallet will be lightened quite a bit. Take a few minutes to consider your buying and maintenance costs, and compare that with the money you have set aside, and if everything looks good and spending this kind of dough won't cause you to go on a diet of top ramen noodles for 2 months, then do it, but if it does not fit into your budget, consider another way forward. I will admit there are better ways to use this kind of money - savings, investing, helping your church/tithing, pay down bills, you name it, there's an endless list of tasks which that money can take care of. Choose wisely.

scca_ziptie 11-12-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 (Post 14893781)
OP - Keep an eye open on the "Classified" / "For Sale" section. There are Fellahs selling brake kits all the time on this Forum and on M3Forum.net. Like anything related to the M3, nothing is going to be inexpensive, and this is what I want to give you a heads up on.

Here is a summary of what it cost me recently to service my BBK... The least expensive 380 x 25 Brembo rotor I could find was at Tire Rack for $400 dollars for ONE cross drilled rotor. You need two so you can do the math. I also wanted a slightly more aggressive pad for the Brembo 6 piston caliper, cough up $420 at Porterfield for a set of R4-S pads. It is recommended to change out the "pins" that hold the rotor onto the aluminum hat, cough up another $140 bux! Add two bottles of Motul 600 for $50 more dollars. Yeesh.

So when it comes time to replace/refurbish your BBK, you have been properly forewarned, your wallet will be lightened quite a bit. Take a few minutes to consider your buying and maintenance costs, and compare that with the money you have set aside, and if everything looks good and spending this kind of dough won't cause you to go on a diet of top ramen noodles for 2 months, then do it, but if it does not fit into your budget, consider another way forward. I will admit there are better ways to use this kind of money - savings, investing, helping your church/tithing, pay down bills, you name it, there's an endless list of tasks which that money can take care of. Choose wisely.

+1

My 355mm Alcon kit has a sale pending right now, but if they buyer backs out it could still be available - agreed on $1,900 +shipping costs (less than 500 street miles on them). It can be done, but as Lucky stated - careful, there are hidden 'costs' that can add up quickly.

2000_328CI 11-12-2012 07:22 PM

Op I can put you in touch with my contacts at Rotora (sponsored my car) and I can likely get you similar pricing for your car (would be around what you're looking to spend for a 6 piston 355mm front kit)

Rockyminator 11-12-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000_328CI (Post 14893876)
Op I can put you in touch with my contacts at Rotora (sponsored my car) and I can likely get you similar pricing for your car (would be around what you're looking to spend for a 6 piston 355mm front kit)

I'm interested. How much for the 6 piston 355mm set? How do you like the Rotoras? How would you compare them to Brembos or Stoptech?