E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Throttle Cable housing on Throttle body (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955665)

Jstunt23 11-12-2012 08:23 PM

Throttle Cable housing on Throttle body

yep, pedal to the floor and no rev, pushed her home, luckily only down the block...
Ok so i removed the throttle body and found damage at the plastic end where the throttle cable connects...
After some of my own research I still haven't found an inexpensive option, anyone know if this plastic assembly is sold separate, PN, nomenclature and where I might find it? I can see where it would unbolt and could potentially be replaced...
Any options or help would be greatly appreciated.

Jstunt23 11-12-2012 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 477937

Attachment 477938

haurelio 11-12-2012 11:22 PM

check realoem.com

Jstunt23 11-13-2012 05:02 AM

Thanks but no luck...

dmax 11-13-2012 05:25 AM

I doubt that part of tb is sold separately. Maybe you can see with yours whether you'd be able to buy one from a junk yard and replace just that part...or at that point, honestly, probably just replace the TB.

I'll check realoem, but as I recall, it's a single assembly.

Only other thought I have, not really seeing your 'break' live, is that maybe there's a way to drill a hole and 'pin' the end of the cable in there. As long as the ball on the end of cable is holding in there firmly, you should be fine...but I can't tell whether you have enough 'meat' left to hold it there.

GL...hth

flashmeow 11-13-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14895028)
I doubt that part of tb is sold separately. Maybe you can see with yours whether you'd be able to buy one from a junk yard and replace just that part...or at that point, honestly, probably just replace the TB.

Only other thought I have, not really seeing your 'break' live, is that maybe there's a way to drill a hole and 'pin' the end of the cable in there. As long as the ball on the end of cable is holding in there firmly, you should be fine...but I can't tell whether you have enough 'meat' left to hold it there.

GL...hth

This. Sorry op. Ur only solution is to fix the plastic as best as u can. I recommend using JB Weld and slowly and little by little build up the spot.

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App

dmax 11-13-2012 05:58 AM

Hmmm? Just a weird thought...don't move forward with it quite yet, but I wonder if you could cut the nib off the end of cable, melt a hole through that plastic piece and somehow bend/tie/crimp the cable through that rotating piece? Or, if it's plastic as you say (IDK) then maybe you could heat weld plastic back onto it to hold the nib in place?

If you cut the cable, though, you need to make sure that there's enough play for the cable to be in the correct position...and I'm really not sure about that at all. I know that you have some adjustment, but you might not have enough...it'd be tight...and actually, I think that idea of mine might not be such a good one...it happens! LOL

Your tb is probably toast, but given that, a little bit of experimentation isn't going to hurt you too bad. I bet you could find a working junk yard part for around $100 or so. Hey, wait, iirc, Mango is selling one--see E46Mango and his sig file...iirc, he's selling his for $80.

You're welcome!

Edog323 11-13-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 14895028)

GL...hth

+1

Sent from my PG06100 using Bimmer App

Jstunt23 11-13-2012 11:38 AM

Sweet 80 would be a great deal! I will check it out when I'm off work... I also thought of using JB n building it up, just not sure how good it would hold...

///MPR77 11-13-2012 11:52 AM

Doug, Mangos TB is Drive By Wire though.

flashmeow 11-13-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstunt23 (Post 14895796)
Sweet 80 would be a great deal! I will check it out when I'm off work... I also thought of using JB n building it up, just not sure how good it would hold...

JB weld is like a chemical version of welding. It is eproxy. People use it to fix their transmission housing to engine oil pan

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App

dmax 11-13-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///MPR77 (Post 14895841)
Doug, Mangos TB is Drive By Wire though.

Sorry, OP, MPR is right. Wrong TB for you. Still...bet you can find one around...if you need it. Give it a shot with jb weld or something. Make sure the stuff cures thoroughly before use. If you can figure out an alternative 'rigging' method by heat welding or the like, that would work too...maybe.

Jstunt23 11-13-2012 03:20 PM

Well I just picked some "plastic welder" by Versa Chem, figured I will test this out since I already tried shopping around and nothing under 250ish :( I will repost the results (this came recommended over JB since it specifies abs plastic.