E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Are M3 Miles like Dog Years? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955676)

avincent52 11-12-2012 09:11 PM

Are M3 Miles like Dog Years?

I saw a thread in which the OP has a 2001 M3 with 67,000 miles.
By the standards of regular e46s, where cars with 100,000 miles seem to be the norm, that's pretty low mileage.
My Touring had just a little bit less and it seemed like it was brand new, and I couldn't find a comparable car with mileage that low.

But those commenting on the thread seemed to think that this was a pretty high mileage M3 and that it was worth around $15k.
(The car needed inspection II, rear brakes and had some undisclosed diff issues and might need a clutch in 20K)
I've seen ZHPs closing in on 100K with asking prices in that range.

What am I missing?

Rockyminator 11-12-2012 09:17 PM

You're missing nothing, people on forums are just cheap as hell.

Spatola 11-12-2012 09:18 PM

It all depends on the year of the car.

lucky_doggg7 11-12-2012 10:49 PM

Chiming I here - about your post regardig M3 values, cost and what seems like a reasonable price to pay considering all factors, is all about perspective, meaning if your one of this kinds of Fellahs who has $50 million dollar trust fund with your name on it and that you lived a grand life of luxury, nothing will seem expensive (within reason), or if you're a "blue collar" kind of guy (like my Dad was), the tendency to maximize your purchase is always in the back of your mind because there is no money tree / golden egg laying goose, and lastly, if you're a "white collar" kind of guy (like me), then you're making a little bit of scratch and can afford some, heavy emphasis and limit on "some," some of the finer things in life. OK, with my crackpot analysis, if you were a trust fund kind of fellah, I reckon ya probably wouldn't be hanging out on this forum, meaning you'd be on 6 Speed Online, or some Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche forum, talking about $10,000 dollar exhausts, and Dymag magnesium+carbon fiber wheels for your whip, but since you are here, I'm guessing you are not an heir to sandy patch of land on the Arabian Peninsula that happens to have a 30 billion barrel underground pool of light/sweet crude oil.

To drill it down here, there are members of this forum who are careful with their money whatever the reason and IN your best interest, I think, they care about other Forum members then write what they write because their genuinely interested in you not spending more money than you have to. So would you rather get a conservative view point on cost, or get some loony viewpoint from dudes who maybe in light comedy or with some lesser intent, post up: "because race car," which I sort of find deeply thought provoking in making a coherent buying decision. So now with all my nonsensical blathering done, my advice: because race car brah! Hah!

avincent52 11-14-2012 06:06 PM

Lucky: I like (and agree with) your analysis. That's one of the things I like about this place (even if I do get frustrated by the number of teenagers who can afford an M3 when I can't...)

But that said it's mostly the same guys on the general e46 forum as the m3 sub forum, so I do kind of find it odd that a 65,000 mile M3 is considered high mileage, while a 65,000 330 is considered low mileage.

It's not like we're talking about Ferraris that get driven a thousand miles a year all on springtime Sundays.

Well, maybe if the m3s keep coming down, I'll be able to afford one. Until the first valve adjustment. (sigh)

Alan 11-14-2012 06:32 PM

Maintenance matters. You have to look at mileage in the context of how well and consistently the car was maintained.

Running 50,000 miles on a car where the initial and/or subsequent owners skipped initial fluid changes, used non-spec oil, skipped or delayed Inspections and basically ragged the car because they didn't plan to own it long - is far worse than 100,000 miles on a well-maintained car.

A lot of these cars have been through 3 or 4 owners by now. Some cheaped-out on the car - or could barely afford it and delayed maintenance. The intensity and regularity of maintenance tell you volumes about how the car was treated.