E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Sun visor tv (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955757)

IrunBimmer 11-13-2012 10:33 AM

Sun visor tv

A friend of mine got me a set of sun visor tvs for my birthday, they have been sitting around since August. Anyone know how I can go about installing them with out taking them to a shop?

cposk 11-13-2012 10:39 AM

Custom wiring up the pillar I'm guessing.

IrunBimmer 11-13-2012 10:55 AM

phenomenal, sounds like its going to be a good time

peytonracer4 11-13-2012 11:16 AM

You'll need to remove the pillars and headliner.
Why though...? Are you going to sit in a parking lot somewhere and watch tv?

Zell 11-13-2012 11:33 AM

Because Americans need more things to distract them while driving.

IrunBimmer 11-13-2012 12:04 PM

First off I'm Russian thank you very much and no not for that I'm plugging my ps3 to it for passenger t play :)

WDE46 11-13-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrunBimmer (Post 14895888)
First off I'm Russian thank you very much and no not for that I'm plugging my ps3 to it for passenger t play :)

Are you a professional Russian or just an amateur?

jeepo23 11-13-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 14895946)
Are you a professional Russian or just an amateur?

He's clearly professional since he's installing sun visor tv's and ps3's.

G-Hots 11-13-2012 12:58 PM

Stop bashing on the dude..
You will most likely need to run a ground cable and a 12v + source up through the passenger A pillar up to the sunvisor. (to power up the monitor)
then run down the RCA cables for L and R audio and the yellow Video cable to PS3. (Do PS3s only run on HDMI?)
Then you need to power the PS3.

trizzuth 11-13-2012 01:06 PM

Ew. That is all.

IrunBimmer 11-13-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Hots (Post 14896085)
Stop bashing on the dude..
You will most likely need to run a ground cable and a 12v + source up through the passenger A pillar up to the sunvisor. (to power up the monitor)
then run down the RCA cables for L and R audio and the yellow Video cable to PS3. (Do PS3s only run on HDMI?)
Then you need to power the PS3.

aright man, thanks sounds good, ill look at the layout of the wires

eneka 11-13-2012 01:30 PM

how about the homelink pre-wires? wouldn't that work as a power source as well?

trj 11-13-2012 01:42 PM

If you are only looking for power, then run a 12V line/or with a converter with whatever Volts you need for the monitor through:
fuse box->inline fuse->converter(voltage adapter)->A-pillar ->sun visor.
Same place can be used for AV cords as well.

I would recommend not to tap into the homelink wires. They are lower gauge wires and may not be suitable for you monitor. I'd rather run a slightly higher gauge wire with an inline fuse with lower rating.

There are empty slots in the fusebox. I used slot 4 or 5(I forgot) with an inline fuse, voltage converter and ran a ground cable to the a screw near the glovebox for my iPhone charger and aux purpose.

This setup will allow you to run your AV cables to the glovebox so you have minimal wire mess everywhere.

Be careful in running the wires through A pillars, DO NOT obstruct the air bag path.

Also, how are you planning on powering the PS3? inverter or something?

IrunBimmer 11-13-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trj (Post 14896257)
If you are only looking for power, then run a 12V line/or with a converter with whatever Volts you need for the monitor through:
fuse box->inline fuse->converter(voltage adapter)->A-pillar ->sun visor.
Same place can be used for AV cords as well.

I would recommend not to tap into the homelink wires. They are lower gauge wires and may not be suitable for you monitor. I'd rather run a slightly higher gauge wire with an inline fuse with lower rating.

There are empty slots in the fusebox. I used slot 4 or 5(I forgot) with an inline fuse, voltage converter and ran a ground cable to the a screw near the glovebox for my iPhone charger and aux purpose.

This setup will allow you to run your AV cables to the glovebox so you have minimal wire mess everywhere.

Be careful in running the wires through A pillars, DO NOT obstruct the air bag path.

Also, how are you planning on powering the PS3? inverter or something?

the ps3 im still thinking how to power it, temporarily i think ill connect it to my head unit. i had a friend with a similar setup. ill take what you said in consideration read up on it some more.

maurer 11-13-2012 02:20 PM

You should probably do yourself a favor and sell those things as quick as you can. Just tell your friend a lie as to why you dont have them anymore; girl friend broke them, someone stole them ect.

kaldE46 11-13-2012 02:33 PM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...0/29969737.jpg

///MPR77 11-13-2012 02:47 PM

OP, it's nice of you to think about your passengers motoring experience.
I hardwired a monitor into my steering wheel.
(I know selfish right? )I just tapped into the horn wires, then I taped the horn down so that it was always on/hot...so that it could power up the monitors. Sure it was noisy with the horn masking the sound of the movies, but I found that wearing headphones to listen to the movies while driving around helped a bit.

The ideal set up would be a HUD projecting across your entire windshield, but that's a whole different thread.

Lusticles 11-13-2012 05:32 PM

I'm just surprised something like a sun-visor TV is legal.