E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Car turned off while driving (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955801)

oAllElseFailo 11-13-2012 02:16 PM

Car turned off while driving

I have a 2000 328Ci and today the car stalled or just turned off on me while I was driving. I was going downhill, down shifted and slowed down to pull into a driveway and just as I approached it my car just turned off and the steering wheel locked up. It started back up just fine and no lights came on.

Anyone know what could have happened or what to check to prevent this?

FenderGuy05 11-13-2012 02:40 PM

I've had this happen a couple of times, usually while turning the wheels in very low RPMs. I've come to the conclusion that I need to clean my ICV, which is on my to do list. But I'll let you know if I notice anything afterward. I've only had the car shut itself off like that when turning the wheel, giving it no gas, at slow speed. I also never had any lights, or problems restarting the car when this is the case.

Lusticles 11-13-2012 05:33 PM

Mine had died several times while going slow and turning the steering wheel. All three times I was turning left. Not sure if direction matters.

Airborne82id 11-13-2012 05:41 PM

Had that happen to me on my previous car, took it to the dealer and couldn't tell me what it was but did suggest to clean the ICV. I instructed them to reflash the DME and they argued that it won't do any good.

Problem was corrected after the reflash.

Here's the thing, prior to that happening, my FSR went out and the blower kept going even after turning the ignition off. So I had to disconnect the battery every time I leave the car. In the process of doing so, the DME got messed up.

If you did anything electrical on your car, that could be it, if not then use the search feature and check the various answers and fixes, as some had the same problem but different remedies.

MercForHire 11-13-2012 06:15 PM

must be another problem with automatic e46s

Camel330i 11-13-2012 06:21 PM

that happened to me earlier this year, but in my accord. No one could ever really diagnose the problem or knew what it was. But I had to change the battery quite a bit later, and it turned out the battery was not the right size. The AAA guy said that could have easily been the problem. I recommend checking that you have the right battery installed in your car.

4ndyhuynh 11-13-2012 07:34 PM

This could be the notorious idle problem with manual E46's. My car's idle used to go up and down while coasting, so I replaced a bunch of parts including Vanos seals, ICV, DISA valve, but in the end, a DME update fixed the problem.

If not, I would go to Oreilly or Autozone and have a battery/alternator test (free).