E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Any E46 Head unit upgrade help! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955862)

taveet330i 11-13-2012 08:29 PM

Head unit upgrade help!

Hey yall
Im looking to change out my factory head unit, to maybe a pioneer DIN sized head unit. Now, my main question and concern is- I have the premium harmon/kardon sound set up with the business cd receiver, the 2 subs on the deck, and the trunk mounted amp. I would like to know if aftermarket units are compatible with the stock HK system (minus the head unit). Anyone have an aftermatket head unit with the factory subs and amp? Experience with this set up? I will eventually change out the subs and amp, but everything is money.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks

Dedication

Grease_Monkey 11-13-2012 09:42 PM

I have had some talk with a reputable shop about the dynavin head units, and they said that they dont push the AFTERMARKET systems at all. As far as compatibility, he said that the HK system wasnt really compatible with anything aftermarket and I should swap out the speakers.. But that was a salesman.. I have really no idea.. But it seems to me that you just gotta go big or go nowhere with these sound systems.. sorry bud. Hope that helps.. and hopefully someone can correct me!

LV DON 11-13-2012 11:23 PM

I have a pioneer double din and it works great batter now then with stock its good

LV DON 11-13-2012 11:24 PM

And I have a 330ci same set-up

taveet330i 11-13-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey (Post 14897810)
I have had some talk with a reputable shop about the dynavin head units, and they said that they dont push the AFTERMARKET systems at all. As far as compatibility, he said that the HK system wasnt really compatible with anything aftermarket and I should swap out the speakers.. But that was a salesman.. I have really no idea.. But it seems to me that you just gotta go big or go nowhere with these sound systems.. sorry bud. Hope that helps.. and hopefully someone can correct me!

Thanks for the help bud. The dynavin is a great unit, if you can afford it that is. And I really dont trust salesmen too much. All they want is to make a sale and get comission. That's it. Im thinking about taking the risk of installing the headunit anyway, and taking the risk of it blowing my subs and amp, and using it as a reason to save and buy better ones

Dedication

taveet330i 11-13-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LV DON (Post 14898087)
And I have a 330ci same set-up

Does the aftermarket head u it work with the factory HK subs and amp, or were those changed? Thanks

LV DON 11-14-2012 12:06 AM

They work I have sub controls on my headunite so it really hits

taveet330i 11-14-2012 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the help yall

Dedication

JAYJAY_325i 11-16-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LV DON (Post 14898081)
I have a pioneer double din and it works great batter now then with stock its good

Do you guys know the stock HK only works with the Pioneer double din or will it work with all after market head units?

hybrid90 11-17-2012 12:29 PM

I have an '05 ZHP 330ci with the factory H/K system, no Nav. I've swapped out the head unit twice. The first time was to put in a Kenwood Flip Out w/Nav, and then the second time was to put in an Alpine single din CD Receiver. My installer does not use any adapters, but runs the head unit directly to the H/K amp and it seems to work just fine that way. The sound is great and everything works just as it should, including the "audio expander" button. A good installer will know how to do this and it won't be an issue. And this should be the case for ANY aftermarket head unit as I was told.

JAYJAY_325i 11-17-2012 10:18 PM

Thanks hybrid90