E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   could an aftermarket intake cause EML light and car dying? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955888)

lsb01 11-13-2012 10:58 PM

could an aftermarket intake cause EML light and car dying?

I put in aftermarket intake and seems EML light goes on and then my car dies after I press accelerator from time to time.

zabalzae 11-13-2012 11:24 PM

Once my friend put a aftermarket intake on his Toyota celica n cause all kinds of weird shhtt

lsb01 11-14-2012 08:38 AM

noone else?

scca_ziptie 11-14-2012 10:09 AM

Are you sure that the new intake is fitted securely? I ask because a vacuum leak could cause the car to die and more than likely it could cause and EML. Is that the only modification that you have done since the EML has been illuminating?

mpower95 11-14-2012 03:46 PM

If you damaged the MAF when installing the intake and filter, this could have caused the issues. Get someone to pull the codes for you, will make things a lot easier for you.

scca_ziptie 11-14-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpower95 (Post 14899868)
If you damaged the MAF when installing the intake and filter, this could have caused the issues. Get someone to pull the codes for you, will make things a lot easier for you.

+1 on the code reading and damaged MAF possibility. That will make it a helluva lot easier on yourself and the ones trying to help with the issue.

cold m3 11-14-2012 04:12 PM

stick with the oem intake... and yes it could to answer your question especially the cone k&n ones

lucky_doggg7 11-14-2012 06:18 PM

About aftermarket intakes, which are most of them with the exception of ECIS system and perhaps one or two others, they all do not have a provision to incorporate something known as the "MAF Screen", which is on the stock Intake system. This screen prevents turbulent or tumbling air coming across the sensor, from what I understand. It has been well documented that M3s that do not have this screen installed will on occasion upon engine deceleration, an idle stumble will occur, then the injection system may correct the stumble in time, but if not, the engine shuts-off. In my readings, some M3s were affected by being screen free but others reported this idle stumble upon deceleration, so it seems to be a hit or miss matter.

Just Google "MAF Screen" and you will see plenty of old posts on the matter. Try carefully removing the screen from your stock intake and incorporate it into whatever intake is on your M3 now. This screen, is not available for separate purchase from the dealer; it is part of the whole induction system, located ahead/up stream of the MAF. This is the first step to diagnosing your engine shut-off issue.