E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Key FOB Battery question (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955925)

Poncho@home 11-14-2012 09:09 AM

Key FOB Battery question

The key FOB gets recharged while in the ignition.

Now that my car is in storage for the winter months, I have installed a trickle charger to keep the car battery charged during storage. Should I leave the key in the ignition to keep the FOB charged as well or is it no big deal to leave it out and risk the battery losing its charge.

I only have the 1 FOB, no spares.

Any thoughts?

jM2.me 11-14-2012 10:29 AM

Subbed. Had car stored for a while and never thought of this.

jgold47 11-14-2012 12:10 PM

These are pretty long life button batteries. I would think you would be able to get several months of standby if not more. I think people go yeas without using their extra key and I they work fine.

jM2.me 11-14-2012 12:22 PM

Doesn't coil, on the ignition, power and then charges the key even if it was dead in first place?

lcoleman 11-14-2012 12:33 PM

I am 90% sure the fob uses a lithium battery...in which case, it would be better to leave it out. The self-discharge rate is low enough to last the winter months, and keeping a lithium battery at 100% SOC only reduces capacity and cycle life.

Poncho@home 11-28-2012 01:04 PM

Thanks for the response Icoleman.

jfoj 11-28-2012 01:22 PM

If you only have 1 keyfob, you better buy another one, $160 USD in the US.

Also make sure you driver door lock linkage is not broken!!!

BIG MISTAKE owning an E46 and only 1 key.

Key will not charge if car is not running, so do not bother to leave it in the ignition.

Poncho@home 11-28-2012 01:28 PM

Yeah, I do plan on buying another key FOB and my door lock linkage works just fine, I tested it.

When I purchased the car it came with the 1 key only.

What are my other options? Can I purchase a non FOB key instead, again my door lock linkage works fine & will the linkage break if I don't use it?

jfoj 11-28-2012 02:23 PM

Other options are a plastic wallet key & replacement key, opens all doors, trunk glovebox and starts car. Usually $60 USD.

Do not bother with a Valet key, stupidest thing to buy from the parts department, but they ALWAYS recommend a Valet key first. Will not open trunk or glovebox. Kind of useless when you lock your only key in the trunk and you have the car in Valet mode!

Still smart to have a 2nd working keyfob, just search about all the people locked out of their car when the driver door lock linkage is broken.

You never know if someone tried to break into your car and your drivers door linkage is broken. Again the drivers door linkage is made to break if forced.

You would be better off with a cheap used keyfob that does not work to open or start the car but will unlock the car wirelessly, only issue is how to keep the other keyfob battery charged.

wasp9166 12-16-2012 11:59 AM

i have the lock delete cover on drivers door

sooooo, basically, if the linkage broke , would there be any other way into car? key will open all doors and trunk so, y would one key fob be an issue?

i have only one key fob