E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Just got hardtop installed (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955969)

bimmernut3 11-14-2012 01:57 PM

Just got hardtop installed
 
Just wanted to offer any help to anyone adding the hardtop to their convertible. I have figure out most all the steps & adjustments. Let me know if you need any help. I'll post pictures later as shes in the garage now, cleaning her up & waxing for the winter.

Snik 11-14-2012 07:58 PM

Oh the envy. :)

bimmernut3 11-15-2012 04:10 PM

Here's what it looks like before I black out the side chrome.


http://forum.e46fanatics.com/picture...ictureid=27327


http://forum.e46fanatics.com/picture...ictureid=27331

E46er75 11-15-2012 06:42 PM

Why would you put a hardtop on a vert? :hmm:

Snik 11-15-2012 06:49 PM

Cause it makes them look better than coupes. And because if you don't drop your top a lot and you're having less than ideal weather. Hardtop is nice

E46er75 11-15-2012 07:22 PM

Better looking than coupes? From the pictures it doesnt look all that appealing. I have a vert and I beg to differ on the looks but hey, you like it thats all that matters....

Snik 11-15-2012 07:45 PM

ah, thats 1 picture, and his still has the chrome trim.
Plus thats MY opinion, as well as a several others i know, so differ all you want :)

bimmernut3 11-15-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46er75 (Post 14903628)
Why would you put a hardtop on a vert? :hmm:

@ E46er75...Why do I want a hardtop?....for the same reason you have an all wheel drive next to your vert. You CAN....right. You probably leave the convertible in doors all winter & drive the xi. and let me guess, you have snow tires on the X.....;)...:thanks:

I live in the best mountain road area in the eastern US and if I have to drive around on them with the top up during our below 50 deg days, lets put a hard top on it and pretend it's a coupe. Best of both worlds. AND how many Mystic Blue ZHP hardtop coupes do you see out there?

azndrunk74 11-15-2012 10:14 PM

does it creak at all with the hardtop adjusted so tightly? i had to leave a bigger gap on mine to lessen the creaking noise. i liked how the hardtop looked when it was flush with the rest of the car but the creaking was killing me.

E46er75 11-16-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmernut3 (Post 14904053)
@ E46er75...Why do I want a hardtop?....for the same reason you have an all wheel drive next to your vert. You CAN....right. You probably leave the convertible in doors all winter & drive the xi. and let me guess, you have snow tires on the X.....;)...:thanks:

I live in the best mountain road area in the eastern US and if I have to drive around on them with the top up during our below 50 deg days, lets put a hard top on it and pretend it's a coupe. Best of both worlds. AND how many Mystic Blue ZHP hardtop coupes do you see out there?


I see your reason for the hardtop. You're clearly very sensitive to comments and most likely equally as sensitive to weather.

FYI, no snow tires on my XI. BTW my vert gets more miles in the winter actually. My wife drives the XI (without snow tires) in the winter.

Like I said it's your car I could care less how it looks, it's not mine. I was just wondering why one would buy a convertible, then turn it into a coupe,Then say it looks better a coupe....:rofl:

Looks like you should have bought a coupe there mountain man....


Take care :thumbup:

Poncho@home 11-16-2012 06:50 AM

I bought a convertible a few months ago that came with a hard top. I sold the hard top, but my car won't be driven during the winter. If I drove my convertible during winter months, I would definately put the hard top on. I also find the hard top looks very good.

Living in New England I am surprised that you don't see the value in this, and that you let your wife drive the XI without winter tires! We have 2 Subarus and both are shoed with Nokian Hakkas for the winter. I see no reason not to take every measure to make sure you and especially your wife have the safest car possible for those horrible winter conditions.

Nice ride BimmerNut3 :thumbsup:

bimmernut3 11-16-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azndrunk74 (Post 14904231)
does it creak at all with the hardtop adjusted so tightly? i had to leave a bigger gap on mine to lessen the creaking noise. i liked how the hardtop looked when it was flush with the rest of the car but the creaking was killing me.

@ azndrunck74.....I do NOT have any of the creaking that to referred to. However, I lubricated the back bottom seal before installing with a good vinyl/rubber coating. I'm not sure if this helped that or not. I measured around the back area & have about 3mm clearance from metal bottom edge to the body and am not sure what is specified. I have very little wind noise & the car feel 'tighter' but this might be my imagination.

@ E46er75......I was just having a little fun with you. Didn't mean to offend you & no, I wasn't offended either. :>) FWIW; I had the top, why not put it on during the 'cold' months? I doubt that I would be dropping the top much during the months ahead. Also, when we drive our mountains or Blue Ridge Parkway, you lose about 5 deg for every 1000' of elevation, so it does get colder up there. We're at about 2200' here and a 20 min drive you're at 5000-6000'. Why do it in a soft top when you have the hard top. Just sayin. I apologize if I offended you.

ZXERT 11-16-2012 04:28 PM

I like it, more pics. How much did you pay and where did you get it?

bimmernut3 11-16-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZXERT (Post 14906331)
I like it, more pics. How much did you pay and where did you get it?

I found it locally at $500 with cover & stand + BMW windscreen for $50 & a BMW outdoor cover for $30. I couldn't turn it down. She also threw in the BMW convertible top care kit for free. Her convertible was totaled and she bought a newer hardtop convertible & didn't need it. Sometime parts are cheaper when you want to sell them but expensive when you want to buy them, right.

Snik 11-16-2012 06:34 PM

Fuuuuukkk. Why can't I find a hardtop for that. :(

Mr. Din 11-19-2012 12:29 PM

heres one for $700 for those that are near...

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3327776649.html

If no one grabs it maybe ill make a drive from texas to get it..

E46er75 11-19-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncho@home (Post 14904753)
I bought a convertible a few months ago that came with a hard top. I sold the hard top, but my car won't be driven during the winter. If I drove my convertible during winter months, I would definately put the hard top on. I also find the hard top looks very good.

Living in New England I am surprised that you don't see the value in this, and that you let your wife drive the XI without winter tires! We have 2 Subarus and both are shoed with Nokian Hakkas for the winter. I see no reason not to take every measure to make sure you and especially your wife have the safest car possible for those horrible winter conditions.

Nice ride BimmerNut3 :thumbsup:


Winter tires are for hypochondriacs.. My 9 year old could drive an AWD without snow tires.

I should have stop reading after you said Subaru..:thumbdwn:

E46er75 11-19-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmernut3 (Post 14906325)
@ azndrunck74.....I do NOT have any of the creaking that to referred to. However, I lubricated the back bottom seal before installing with a good vinyl/rubber coating. I'm not sure if this helped that or not. I measured around the back area & have about 3mm clearance from metal bottom edge to the body and am not sure what is specified. I have very little wind noise & the car feel 'tighter' but this might be my imagination.

@ E46er75......I was just having a little fun with you. Didn't mean to offend you & no, I wasn't offended either. :>) FWIW; I had the top, why not put it on during the 'cold' months? I doubt that I would be dropping the top much during the months ahead. Also, when we drive our mountains or Blue Ridge Parkway, you lose about 5 deg for every 1000' of elevation, so it does get colder up there. We're at about 2200' here and a 20 min drive you're at 5000-6000'. Why do it in a soft top when you have the hard top. Just sayin. I apologize if I offended you.


All in good fun, no forum will offend me! :thumbsup:

Poncho@home 11-19-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

My 9 year old could drive an AWD without snow tires
I didn't realise your 9 year old can defy the laws of physics and of all season rubber compounds vs winter ones. :hmm:

Oh, and don't hate on the Subies....:idhitit:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y

ImSoFreaknWhite 11-19-2012 03:12 PM

Nice top, im picking mine up next month!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use