E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   What kind of lighting is this in my headlight?! And problems.. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956007)

dell84 11-14-2012 05:32 PM

What kind of lighting is this in my headlight?! And problems..

4 Attachment(s)
I know I can always count on the community here to give me some good answers. My driver side headlight seems to be intermittently going out now a days. I looked at one of the female connectors connecting to the bulb -- the wire seems frayed so I'm guessing thats the cause of that? Also, I ordered khoalty angel eyes but I'm not thinking whether I should even put them in because I don't know if it looks classy (bordering on ricey?). Also, when I tried to put them in, I noticed the angel eyes I do have are already built into the light so they light up behind the khoalty ones which doesn' t look good (I bought this second hand so I have no idea what kind of angel eyes these are, but it seems to be built in). Also, some of the led angel eyes I have are kind of fused. Also, the khoalty angel eyes are hitting the bezel and aren't an ideal fit (some of the bezel ultimately covers up a portion of the angel eye). THUS, I'm thinking of returning the khoalty angel eyes, which leads me to..
  • What kind of headlight is this? (xenon, bi xenon, projection, etc)

Am I right in assuming putting any new female connector will work fine to fix the light issue? The autozone rep mentioned that these might be HID lights thus requiring special wires/connectors.

What kind of angel eyes are those currently in there? It appears to be little bulbs, some of which are out. I'm thinking I can just replace the bulbs? Or maybe its the wiring? I don't know! Is it easy to open up the light to replace the bulbs? You can see in the pictures the little lights circulating around the headlight, 2 of them are out. Its like that on both sides.

haurelio 11-14-2012 06:44 PM

it looks like a Depo Headlight (p46)

dell84 11-14-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haurelio (Post 14900203)
it looks like a Depo Headlight (p46)

thanks! after doing some google image searches you seem to be correct. anyone got answers on my other questions or any advice?

montchobadmoves 11-14-2012 11:30 PM

Regarding your connector, it might be easier to splice the wire. So you keep the original connector.

montchobadmoves 11-14-2012 11:32 PM

Forfet about splicing the wire, I just look at the picture, for sure you have to replace the connector. Any one will work fine.

dell84 11-14-2012 11:34 PM

thanks a lot!

Solidjake 11-15-2012 08:09 AM

Those are not even Depo headlights, those are extremely extremely cheap ebay headlights. I suggest you just save up, get OEM halogen lights and retrofit in Morimoto mini projectors.

dell84 11-15-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 14901543)
Those are not even Depo headlights, those are extremely extremely cheap ebay headlights. I suggest you just save up, get OEM halogen lights and retrofit in Morimoto mini projectors.

Are you sure? I sent khoalty these pictures and they said that the Depo would fit in these. Also, the headlight had a yellow sticker label on it that had the company info (a cheapo ebay wouldn't have that right) and "SAE" and a little UPC.

dell84 11-15-2012 03:40 PM

Also, can I put HID bulbs in my headlight? Or does that require a whole modification of the headlight assembly? Reason why I'm asking is because I don't want the yellow of my H7 bulb to clash with the white of the AEs.

Solidjake 11-15-2012 04:02 PM

They are cheap, period.

haurelio 11-15-2012 07:34 PM

tomatoes tomatos.. same thing

dell84 11-16-2012 01:12 PM

thanks for the input, even the cheeky comments.

I got a new female connector for the headlight and that fixed the light going out problem.

Honestly I don't think it looks cheap, once its in the housing and the lens is on.