E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   e46 M3 wont start! help please! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956040)

LM Racing 11-14-2012 08:59 PM

e46 M3 wont start! help please!

Hey guys about a hour ago I was driving my m3 and it just shut off out of no where. It still has compression. Yes it has gas. No smoke. Not over heating. No fluids lost. Belt still in tact...on my digital dash it says 0.0 celcius (whatever that means but I never saw that before)

Need your help to figure it what the problem is. I've never had a real problem with this car. Thanks guys.

Encryption76 11-14-2012 09:05 PM

First thing that flew into my mind was alternator isn't charging the battery. Not gifted with e46 knowledge but I have had that happen in other cars before. Are any of your lights dimmer then normal?

can0n4 11-14-2012 09:12 PM

I'm going to put my money on alternator died then battery. Keep us updated.

LM Racing 11-14-2012 09:35 PM

electricity on the car seemed fine at first. Obviously when I tried to crank the car like 10 times to see if it would start the power started getting less and less. I don't think the alternator was the issue. Like I said the power at first was fine

can0n4 11-14-2012 09:41 PM

It cranked? There goes my money.

Fuel, spark, air. Something is missing, or preventing one of those. Any mods? What year? How many miles?

Google M3 Shut off, quite a few hits

Bemwe_03i 11-14-2012 09:46 PM

How old is the battery? Try a new one little voltage difference and your car wont start very sensitive. thats the cheapest fix for now. Test it as well

HiHoBrian 11-14-2012 09:49 PM

Fuel pump is a common no start problem. A $30 fuel gauge hooked to the fuel pressure test valve under the pastic engine cover will immediately tell you if that is the issue. You want to see around 50lbs. There are other ways of guessing the fuel pump or pump relay is bad,but a gauge will diagnose it properly.

Edit: also any obd2 scan tool can check for codes that can point you in the proper direction. It may say low fuel,and random misfire,or lean condition bank one and 2. Those can all point to a failed fuel pump if it went bad. You can even use a Bluetooth obd2 adapter paired to an android phone app (torque or torque pro)to diagnose it.
sent from my ATARI sc1224

LM Racing 11-14-2012 09:58 PM

Just has exhaust. 130k miles on it. Maitnence up to date. Like I said haven't had any problems like this before

lucky_doggg7 11-15-2012 05:33 AM

My guess if the car just shut off mysteriously and there are no dash lights, I say crank angle sensor. If it is loose, has compromised wiring, perhaps a bad connector or it just might have flat gave up the ghost (meaning the sensor is dead), this would cause an otherwise normal operating car to be rendered helpless on the roadside. This hit or miss method of diagnosing a car is terrible without a diagnostic scanning tool to see what kind of DTCs are stored in the ECU, and what is going on when the car is powered up (meaning key in ignition switch turned clockwise just short of engaging the starter). if you have the wherewithal, and most M owners do, call AAA, and have it flat bed transported to your trusted mechanic.

illestminimike 11-15-2012 09:14 PM

Mmmmm I think fuel pump.

$ilent ///M 11-15-2012 09:26 PM

look into the crank postion sensor

lucky_doggg7 11-16-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illestminimike (Post 14904066)
Mmmmm I think fuel pump.

There is a simple check for the fuel pump without getting to the test port at the fuel filter. Remove the rear seat, thoroughly brush off the area so no garbage can fall in the tank, remove the lock ring, lift the pump up just a bit and shine a bright flashlight into gas tank, and if you can see a lot of very fine metallic shavings in the bottom of the tank, this is a sure bet that the pump has ground itself to pieces, and indeed, the pump has ended its useful life, making replacement warranted. Relacing the fuel filter would also be a good move.