E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Think I got water in my coil pack (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956071)

Tu MaDRe 11-15-2012 02:59 AM

Think I got water in my coil pack

Excuse me if my title or I'm in the wrong section to post this thread but I did a quickkkkk little 2 second rinse (literary) from left to right probably less than 2 seconds in my engine bay. I dry the entire bay down after my half @$$ wash. I noticed my check engine soon light comes on soon as I started the car, so I decide to make a nearby pit stop to the smog shop since I was in the process of getting my vehicle smogged. The tech recommended I take the coil pack out and put them right back in. If all 6 coils are out? Can I just air hose all 6 cylinders and then put the car back together, hopefully my troubles go away from a follow up on a DIY SPARK PLUG page.

Could I get some advice ?

Thanks

mkodama 11-15-2012 03:36 AM

The check engine light could be anything down to a loose gas cap. Get the codes read first so you know what the problem even is.

Tu MaDRe 11-15-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkodama (Post 14901450)
The check engine light could be anything down to a loose gas cap. Get the codes read first so you know what the problem even is.

Dammmmn...

I would like to buy a scanner sometime down the road but what are some good scanners?

Would o'rileys or auto zone would be eligible to help me out with that?

I'd figure it would be that lil water I sprayed. My 323i didn't have no lights on the cluster. Since past Saturday 11/10 when I just bought the vehicle over the weekend.

v8 5 11-15-2012 05:18 AM

eBay OBD-II USB scanner with TIS

jgold47 11-15-2012 08:36 AM

you need to have the code read. Unless I am missing something, hosing down your engine shouldnt have too much impact on your coils/plugs. 1. they are under a shroud, 2. the coil packs themselves are sealed and 3. the coils cover the sparkplug wells in a way that would prevent any water getting in.

go to autozone or AAP and ask them to read the codes.

mkodama 11-15-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tu MaDRe (Post 14901462)
Dammmmn...

I would like to buy a scanner sometime down the road but what are some good scanners?

Would o'rileys or auto zone would be eligible to help me out with that?

I'd figure it would be that lil water I sprayed. My 323i didn't have no lights on the cluster. Since past Saturday 11/10 when I just bought the vehicle over the weekend.

Yes, most autoparts stores will give you a code readout for free or a small price. Some stores that don't have a scanner or limited staff will say they aren't able to.

Mango 11-15-2012 01:45 PM

Highly doubt water had any role here

vicariously13 11-15-2012 01:57 PM

It could be your secondary air pump. When moisture gets into it, sometimes it can throw a code because of some sensor in there or something. Have it read. There could be something completely unrelated causing the code. Like an O2 sensor.

Tu MaDRe 11-15-2012 10:44 PM

Thank you everybody for the help. This forum is more helpful then those Honda forums. I don't want to go back to Acura/Honda, ever lol well maybe a future 2nd commuter but I like my 323i. So I went to miadas and I think he said the code came up as 1423, forums say its called p1423 secondary system or something like that. I think he cleared it and my check engine soon light hasn't came back on (yet). I pray it doesnt. I was just looking into that secondary system and I can recall that side maybe have gotten a lil more water on that side. Im going to see if the car can pass smog tomorrow.

I tried to get gas today and my gas lid wouldn't pop open at all. I was trying to get it open without scratches. How can I fix that problem? I don't like post new threads on common issues that probably been ask many times before.