E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What detailing should I do before trying to sell my car (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956123)

thefreeze 11-15-2012 10:58 AM

What detailing should I do before trying to sell my car
 
Can someone help me with suggestions on what detailing I should definitely do on my car before trying to sell it? I'm hoping not to have to do the entire gamut since I won't be able to enjoy the finished product for very long (hopefully), but also don't want to skimp on something that will help it sell. I'm looking for what I should do to the exterior, interior, and engine bay.
Thanks!!

Johal E32 11-15-2012 01:34 PM

Assuming you don't have a buffer?

Wash
clay bar
wash
polish
wash
wax

clean wheels, throw some "wet-look" on them

Clean exhaust tips

Clean the glass.

Vacuum the interior

Wipe down the interior

Try to clean the carpets ans seats as best as you can

Your car will NOT come out perfect, but it is a good day's worth of work, and the results will be amazing!

Good luck

SilvaBimma 11-15-2012 02:29 PM

Clean everything, Prep it, wax it. Do everything possible.

k20z1 L 11-17-2012 10:18 PM

In terms of paintwork if you don't wanna go the whole nine yards I'd just wash, clay, glaze, and wax.. If you use the right stuff it should come out very nice. Just use whatever wax you have, if you're selling the car I don't know if you want to invest in a good wax. Up to you! My favorite glaze is Detail Shoppe's Wet Glaze 2.0. A nice inexpensive wax is Meguiars Ultimate. And you can find clay bars anywhere.

For the rest of the car: I'd use "Bon Ami" for the exhaust tips, it works wonders for me. 303 Aerospace is great for everything in your interior. For the engine bay just wrap up your intake & what not, spray it down and wash it. Also, I'd do some work on your trim, just get your favorite trim restorer. My favorite is Mother's. Pretty simple man, best of luck!

scrace 11-18-2012 08:48 PM

Depends on the condition of your car. If you have a lot of paint defects I'd suggest having a professional detail it, it will raise the value of the car and it will sell faster. Most people will assume if the exterior and interior are in great shape you took care of mechanics as well...just my 2 cents.

thefreeze 11-26-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k20z1 L (Post 14909128)
In terms of paintwork if you don't wanna go the whole nine yards I'd just wash, clay, glaze, and wax.. If you use the right stuff it should come out very nice. Just use whatever wax you have, if you're selling the car I don't know if you want to invest in a good wax. Up to you! My favorite glaze is Detail Shoppe's Wet Glaze 2.0. A nice inexpensive wax is Meguiars Ultimate. And you can find clay bars anywhere.

For the rest of the car: I'd use "Bon Ami" for the exhaust tips, it works wonders for me. 303 Aerospace is great for everything in your interior. For the engine bay just wrap up your intake & what not, spray it down and wash it. Also, I'd do some work on your trim, just get your favorite trim restorer. My favorite is Mother's. Pretty simple man, best of luck!

Thanks!! Out of curiosity, what's the difference between glazing and polishing?

scrace 11-26-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefreeze (Post 14927599)
Thanks!! Out of curiosity, what's the difference between glazing and polishing?

A glaze will fill in imperfections with oils, a polish is abrasive and will remove imperfections.

Zack01GC 12-30-2012 08:03 PM

Do it ALL, or have a professional do it.

I would say there is easily a $1000 difference in a car that is detailed/clean/taken care of versus an identical car that is sold as it sits with brake dust and swirls all over.

TOGWT 12-31-2012 04:33 AM

"How to make your car worth more when you sell it" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...-you-sell.html

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me an email

k20z1 L 01-03-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrace (Post 14929266)
a glaze will fill in imperfections with oils, a polish is abrasive and will remove imperfections.

+1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use