E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   belt squeal maybe...? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956134)

sakumaxp 11-15-2012 11:59 AM

belt squeal maybe...?

well the weather has been getting colder these past few days and right when i start my car you immediately hear a squeal, for lets say 1.5-2 seconds, enough time for me to turn off my music and listen. ive read a few posts quick last night before my drive home from work, some were saying it could be a bad tensioner, glazed pulley, or just the belt rubber is cold and after its warm shouldnt be a problem, so i drove lets say, 2 miles down the road to fill up on gas and i turned my car on after, and it was gone. i assume the squeal has to do with the cold belt? if anyone has had this problem or knows what could be wrong please throw me some info.

najsauto 11-15-2012 12:02 PM

I had a squeal in the engine bay but mine was the opposite: she didnt make noise when cold - noisy only after she was warmed up. I replaced belts and tensioner and no more noise.
Who knows though... if I were to guess I'd say that it's probably the belt tensioner or one of the pulleys acting up.

sakumaxp 11-15-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by najsauto (Post 14902337)
I had a squeal in the engine bay but mine was the opposite: she didnt make noise when cold - noisy only after she was warmed up. I replaced belts and tensioner and no more noise.
Who knows though... if I were to guess I'd say that it's probably the belt tensioner or one of the pulleys acting up.

yeah i had my belts changed not too long ago, maybe about a week ago or so. and it only started yesterday, so ill see whats up when i start her up to go out later.

illestminimike 11-15-2012 09:11 PM

What kind of belt did you get? It really could be a pulley. Try this to make sure it's not something else: get in car and roll down windows and turn off music, then turn to ignition 2 without cranking it over and make sure it doesn't make any funny noises.

$ilent ///M 11-15-2012 09:21 PM

Mine was the pulley. theres two which normally go out the one by the alternator and one by a/c. you can put a long screwdriver close to it when cold and listen thru the screwdriver. r

choxor 11-15-2012 09:59 PM

Did you inspect the pulleys when you changed the belt

Ballerbrian4u 11-16-2012 02:00 AM

Is there any negative affect to this? Or is it just the noise? How much dose it cost to fix?

sakumaxp 11-16-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 14904187)
Did you inspect the pulleys when you changed the belt

i live in an apartment complex and when i moved i sold most of my tools, to work on my car since before i had a garage. so now i just take it to the shop unless im doing brakes and and an oil change.

Rockyminator 11-16-2012 02:49 PM

It's the idler pulley.

ECSTuning 11-16-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballerbrian4u (Post 14904591)
Is there any negative affect to this? Or is it just the noise? How much dose it cost to fix?

If it's a pulley and it fails, yes. A belt can come loose wrecking fan blades and such, causing a lot more damage than replacing a belt and a few pulleys.

Ballerbrian4u 11-26-2012 01:29 AM

So when I turn on my car In the morning until it warms up there is a squeal from the belt area. What do I need to check to see what the problem is? And what I need to buy? I was told by a friend to put some armor all on the belt to see of that helps. What do you guys think. Please helpppp!

illestminimike 11-26-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballerbrian4u (Post 14926632)
So when I turn on my car In the morning until it warms up there is a squeal from the belt area. What do I need to check to see what the problem is? And what I need to buy? I was told by a friend to put some armor all on the belt to see of that helps. What do you guys think. Please helpppp!

It's the tensioner.

KrasivataSabine 11-26-2012 02:03 AM

Had the same symptoms on my 323ci for two weeks. Replaced the belt, tenioner pulley, and idler pulley for less than $100. Both the tensioner pulley's bearing and the idler pulley's bearing were shot to hell. I replaced the belt for good measure. All is well now :thumbup:

illestminimike 11-26-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine (Post 14926667)
Had the same symptoms on my 323ci for two weeks. Replaced the belt, tenioner pulley, and idler pulley for less than $100. Both the tensioner pulley's bearing and the idler pulley's bearing were shot to hell. I replaced the belt for good measure. All is well now :thumbup:

Do exactly that!

KrasivataSabine 11-26-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illestminimike (Post 14926670)
Do exactly that!

Why thank you :hi:

OP, its also an easy job to DIY so don't hesitate and just get to it!

screamer-beemer531 11-29-2012 09:00 AM

Yh I've had that. I had a small VC gasket leak and it ruined the pulleys and the belt. Replaced them all and it went away. It used to be there only when cold just like yours. It's not an expensive job if you do it yourself.