E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Engine speed increases but car did not respond (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956157)

teomanx 11-15-2012 01:35 PM

Engine speed increases but car did not respond

Hello,

I really need your help and advice.
Just a couple of minutes ago,I've had a problem with my car.While I was driving the car, for a couple of seconds I realized that there was a problem with the acceleration.Because when I step on the gas pedal,the speed of the car did not increase.The engine speed on the tachometer increased but the car did not respond.What can be the problem?

I am waiting for your responses.

Thank you.

m3e46freak 11-15-2012 01:43 PM

Car is in gear yes? lol

Could be the clutch as gone out or any part of that system the engages the gears...

vicariously13 11-15-2012 01:51 PM

Did your EML light come on and then turn off? It could be a weird thing with the Auto transmission. Have it checked. It happened to me once when I had a 2000 328i.

teomanx 11-15-2012 02:04 PM

I did not check the EML Light but I do not remember that any light went on.
I will check it again.
Can this problem be related with transmission?
I am asking this because a couple of months ago,I had a problem with the reverse gear.Then it disappeared.

Tate325xi 11-15-2012 03:20 PM

Sounds like your clutch is a goner.

lcoleman 11-15-2012 03:28 PM

If manual, your clutch is done. Put it in 5th and low speeds and floor it to confirm--you'll know it's bad.
If auto, your torque converter isn't working properly. This is bad news.

mkodama 11-15-2012 03:34 PM

If manual, your pressure plate went kaput, if auto/steptronic your car is in safe mode and you'll have a gear with an exclamation mark inside it on your cluster.

m3e46freak 11-15-2012 03:47 PM

Definitely put it in 5th/6th and rev it up and if it goes up then its the clutch

WDE46 11-15-2012 03:52 PM

You need to tell us if you have an auto or a manual. This definitely has to do with the transmission either way.

teomanx 11-15-2012 04:30 PM

Sorry for incomplete information,it has Automatic transmission.
I just drove the car and EML light didn't come on.
While driving,sometimes I decelerated the speed and then try to set on the gas pedal but again the car did not respond.Then I removed my foot from the gas pedal and after a second again set on the gas pedal hardly.Then car responded and accelerated.
This scene occurred a couple of times.
By the way , the reverse gear is not working now.As I said before,a couple of months ago,I had a problem with the reverse gear.Then it disappeared.But now it has appeared.

Now regarding these new information,do you still think the problem is at torque converter?

teomanx 11-15-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkodama (Post 14903031)
If manual, your pressure plate went kaput, if auto/steptronic your car is in safe mode and you'll have a gear with an exclamation mark inside it on your cluster.

Thank you for the response mkodama. But I could not understand what you mean.Could you please explain it in detail?

choxor 11-15-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teomanx (Post 14903181)
Thank you for the response mkodama. But I could not understand what you mean.Could you please explain it in detail?

Do you have a warning light on your dash.

WDE46 11-15-2012 04:51 PM

I would think the transmission would be throwing a SES light with a torque converter slip code.

teomanx 11-15-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 14903190)
Do you have a warning light on your dash.

Brake pads wear sensors not working.Because of this,brake pad sensor light is on.And the airbag indicator light is on because there is a fault at seat occupancy detector.

There is not any warning light on related to engine/transmission/EML .

teomanx 11-15-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 14903243)
I would think the transmission would be throwing a SES light with a torque converter slip code.

Thanks WDE46.
Do you mean that there is a problem at torque converter with slip code?If yes,then should I change it?

teomanx 11-19-2012 04:04 PM

2 days ago, I took my car to a mechanic.Before going to the mechanic, reverse gear were not working.The mechanic sat on the driver seat for a test drive and reverse gear started to work.It was really interesting.
He drove the car at very high speeds and tried to test the transmission.The car did not do the respond problem I explained before.Mechanic said that the car is shifting at high gears very smoothly but at low gears shifting makes noise.
After the test drive, mechanic told me that the problem was in the transmission,not at torque converter or any other thing.He said that the transmission was failing.He recommended me to change /rebuilt the transmission and quoted $3000-$3300 price for the transmission.It was too much for me because I am a graduate student.He made this decision without checking the other parts of the car.Do you think this is normal?Can a mechanic make a such decision without checking the other parts of the car?

After that,yesterday while I was driving,the car didn't respond again when I stepped on the gas pedal.I remember that I stepped into the gas pedal hardly and a couple of seconds later I realized the burning smell.Besides these, yesterday reverse gear was not working for a time and after that it started to work.
I searched these symptoms on google and found that transmission fluid should be checked.

I am really looking for your advices,recommendations.

Thank you.

mkodama 11-19-2012 04:09 PM

Yup, sadly the automatic transmissions are known for failures with the E46, compared to the manuals which have almost non-existent failures. Nothing is really going to affect rough shifts or not getting to reverse aside from the transmission.

$3000 is what I had to have my transmission rebuilt including all parts and labor.

jasonbimmer 11-19-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teomanx (Post 14912904)
2 days ago, I took my car to a mechanic.Before going to the mechanic, reverse gear were not working.The mechanic sat on the driver seat for a test drive and reverse gear started to work.It was really interesting.
He drove the car at very high speeds and tried to test the transmission.The car did not do the respond problem I explained before.Mechanic said that the car is shifting at high gears very smoothly but at low gears shifting makes noise.
After the test drive, mechanic told me that the problem was in the transmission,not at torque converter or any other thing.He said that the transmission was failing.He recommended me to change /rebuilt the transmission and quoted $3000-$3300 price for the transmission.It was too much for me because I am a graduate student.He made this decision without checking the other parts of the car.Do you think this is normal?Can a mechanic make a such decision without checking the other parts of the car?

After that,yesterday while I was driving,the car didn't respond again when I stepped on the gas pedal.I remember that I stepped into the gas pedal hardly and a couple of seconds later I realized the burning smell.Besides these, yesterday reverse gear was not working for a time and after that it started to work.
I searched these symptoms on google and found that transmission fluid should be checked.

I am really looking for your advices,recommendations.

Thank you.

the 328's had GM transmissions if I remember correctly. the reverse going in and out is due to dirty transmission fluid clogging up the reverse solenoid filter causing the reverse solenoid malfunction. the solution is to drop the pan and drop the valve body and clean it. if you in there might as well clean all the other 4 solenoid that controls shifting.
this is why lifetime transmission is such a BS.

teomanx 11-19-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbimmer (Post 14912959)
the 328's had GM transmissions if I remember correctly. the reverse going in and out is due to dirty transmission fluid clogging up the reverse solenoid filter causing the reverse solenoid malfunction. the solution is to drop the pan and drop the valve body and clean it. if you in there might as well clean all the other 4 solenoid that controls shifting.
this is why lifetime transmission is such a BS.

Thank you very much.I hope so.
So you think that I may not have to change the transmission,right?
I think I should take my car to another mechanic.
If I clean the reverse solenoid and do what you said,would it be enough and would I get a chance to drive the car for a couple of months?

jasonbimmer 11-19-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teomanx (Post 14913038)
Thank you very much.I hope so.
So you think that I may not have to change the transmission,right?
I think I should take my car to another mechanic.
If I clean the reverse solenoid and do what you said,would it be enough and would I get a chance to drive the car for a couple of months?

yes, most likely you can get some out of it without dropping the transmission.
see this post how to fix the reverse.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809