E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Car won't remote lock (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956641)

slo323ci 11-18-2012 05:43 PM

Car won't remote lock

Hey guys I've done searches but still can't pin it down. As of right now I can't lock/unlock my doors(coupe) or my trunk with my remote. I can unlock each of them though through the center console, and near my leg(trunk pop). The car doesn't beep when I don't have my key in and the door open. As I remember seeing that for some people it did beep. I do remember hearing a bit of noise on my passenger side a month or so back, but never heard any on my driver side. Also I remember sometimes the passenger side wouldn't always unlock but my driver side always would. Think this is a GM5 issue or something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

vsphantom 11-18-2012 05:50 PM

try to re-program the key to the car
-get in the car
-shut the doors
-put key in the ignition
-turn key on the 1st position (Acc)
-remove key
-press and hold #1 button on the key
-while holding the #1 key, press the lock button(BMW logo)
locks should lock and unlock to confirm initialization

if this did not work you should consider buying a new key

slo323ci 11-18-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsphantom (Post 14910531)
try to re-program the key to the car
-get in the car
-shut the doors
-put key in the ignition
-turn key on the 1st position (Acc)
-remove key
-press and hold #1 button on the key
-while holding the #1 key, press the lock button(BMW logo)
locks should lock and unlock to confirm initialization

if this did not work you should consider buying a new key

No luck, but the key lights up each time I press one of the buttons.

HaloArchive 11-18-2012 06:06 PM

That is the wrong procedure.

Here is the correct one.

- Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fobs (all your fobs need to be done at the same time)
- With one of your keys turn the ignition on then off and remove the key
- Press and hold the unlock botton and then press the lock button 3 times.
- Release all buttons and the locks will bounce up and down.
- Repeat this with the other key/keys (press and hold unlock and press lock 3 times, locks will bounce)

Note: Only switch your ignition on once, doing so again while programming will reset the process and you will have to start again.

vsphantom 11-18-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaloArchive (Post 14910563)

Here is the correct one.

- Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fobs (all your fobs need to be done at the same time)
- Repeat this with the other key/keys (press and hold unlock and press lock 3 times, locks will bounce)

Note: Only switch your ignition on once, doing so again while programming will reset the process and you will have to start again.

whoops forgot you have to press bmw logo 3 times

my bad :D

slo323ci 11-18-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaloArchive (Post 14910563)

Here is the correct one.

Still no luck. The key fob lit up when I held the unlock button, the light blinks for the press then goes away. Then when pressing down the lock button it doesn't light up unless the unlock button isn't pressed.

HaloArchive 11-18-2012 06:22 PM

BTW, one unlock press is drivers side, two presses is all doors. Some cars are coded to beep, others are not. Depends on factory settings. If your fob USED to work and now it doesnt, sounds like the battery is dead.

slo323ci 11-18-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaloArchive (Post 14910588)
BTW, one unlock press is drivers side, two presses is all doors. Some cars are coded to beep, others are not. Depends on factory settings. If your fob USED to work and now it doesnt, sounds like the battery is dead.

Even though the light blinks on the key?

HaloArchive 11-18-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slo323ci (Post 14910615)
Even though the light blinks on the key?

Yes, it takes considerably more energy to transmit a signal than to make an LED light up. Keep in mind that the battery in the remote is nearing 10 years old or more. The Nickel Cadmium battery's lifespan is right near around that.

slo323ci 11-18-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaloArchive (Post 14910629)
Yes, it takes considerably more energy to transmit a signal than to make an LED light up. Keep in mind that the battery in the remote is nearing 10 years old or more. The Nickel Cadmium battery's lifespan is right near around that.

Battery is a lot cheaper than a new key or a GM5 issue. I'll try it out tomorrow. Do you know off hand which one it uses? If not I can look it up.

I just remembered that my other key didn't work either, I hadn't tried to program that, but that is still at my mechanic. The key I'm using now hadn't been used in a year, but has been used the past week.

HaloArchive 11-18-2012 07:03 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=315311

slo323ci 11-18-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaloArchive (Post 14910650)

I don't have the diamond cut, but found my jeweler screw drivers and opened it up. 2016 Panasonic battery. I'll let you know how it goes.

Airborne82id 11-18-2012 07:51 PM

Please do!

This is something, apparently, we all gonna have to deal with ...

Nerdy46 11-18-2012 08:54 PM

Changed key battery and car battery and it solved a similar problem.

slo323ci 11-19-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaloArchive (Post 14910629)

And you are correct. Picked up a 2016 at radioshack, and it worked! I guess $6 is better than a 100+

HaloArchive 11-19-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slo323ci (Post 14913391)
And you are correct. Picked up a 2016 at radioshack, and it worked! I guess $6 is better than a 100+

Glad to hear it worked out. :thumbsup:

jfoj 11-19-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerdy46 (Post 14910846)
Changed key battery and car battery and it solved a similar problem.

Just for those who have not seen these Energizer keyfob testers, check your local auto parts store to see if they have one near the batteries.

Makes troubleshoot keyless entry far more straight forward as it can easily confirm your keyfob is actually transmitting.

jfoj 11-19-2012 07:45 PM

Keyfob tester - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=keyfob+tester