E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   VCG replacement planned - anything else I should do? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956721)

KSims1868 11-19-2012 09:17 AM

VCG replacement planned - anything else I should do?

My '01 325i has about 125k miles on it. Runs great and no complaints or worries.

I'm going to perform the VCG replacement this week while I'm on vacation. While I'm in there doing that...is there anything else I should go ahead and accomplish while I've got it taken apart? Figured if there's anything else I could knock out I might as well do it now while I'm under there.

GSherbs 11-19-2012 09:24 AM

You could consider doing your vanos seals...

This, however, will make the job take about 2 to 3 times longer than VCG alone.

Patrick- BMWPartsSource 11-19-2012 09:25 AM

Let me know if you want any pricing. Black Friday the whole site is setup to give UP To 90% OFF.

KSims1868 11-19-2012 09:32 AM

This is a job I need to accomplish in 1 morning/afternoon because I can't be without my car for more than a day. I've seen the "how to" video, and I don't suspect it will take much more than a couple hours to do the VCG.

GSherbs 11-19-2012 09:44 AM

A lot of people consider doing their plugs with the VCG. I personally don't feel like plugs are that difficult to do that doing them with VCG really saves you much effort. But, if yours are due - might as well do them.

trj 11-19-2012 11:40 AM

If you are doing VCG and VANOS seals plus the plugs hasnt been done. Its a good time to do both, may be add O2 sensors if you want to.
It will take around 4-6 hours if you do the VANOS together with VCG.
Try not to use victor reinz VCG. I changed mine in march and it leaked in August.
Now I put the Elring gasket, hopefully it wont leak.

PS: Use a torque wrench. Do not try to guess the torques on the VC bolts, you will break them. And those studs and capnuts are almost $10 a set from the dealership. You need 15(if you break them all), so careful with them.

FenderGuy05 11-19-2012 11:52 AM

Sh*t, I just bought a victor reinz gasket from BMA...

VANOS seals are a good idea, since they're under the valve cover. Spark plugs can be done without taking the valve cover off.

trj 11-19-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 (Post 14912097)
Sh*t, I just bought a victor reinz gasket from BMA...

VANOS seals are a good idea, since they're under the valve cover. Spark plugs can be done without taking the valve cover off.

May be victor reinz rectified the issue. May be it was just a bad batch. However, there were many people experiencing leaky VCG after replacing it with Victor reinz within a couple of months. Includes me too.

Right on the plugs. But since OP is doing it as a PM, he might as well do the plugs and VANOS seals.
I would never want to visit that area of the engine again, so I'd wrap up the plugs and VANOS seals.

But I had to visit the same area 8 times in 6 months due the leaky VCG. Now I can do the VCG in an hour and half. :facepalm:

FenderGuy05 11-19-2012 12:44 PM

That sucks...I don't have any leaks, but figure at 100k it's time to just do it preventatively.

trj 11-19-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 (Post 14912254)
That sucks...I don't have any leaks, but figure at 100k it's time to just do it preventatively.

I would not touch VCG if it's not leaking or you are doing VANOS seals. I did VCG and VANOS together because i had a small leak. I just compounded the leak it seems. May be the VC warped, but that is one place I would not recommended going in as a preventive maintenance. Other's have had success, me not so lucky. :(

lab rat 11-19-2012 11:44 PM

There are some items where preventative maintenance could save your ass. VCG is not one of them.

trj 11-20-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lab rat (Post 14914094)
There are some items where preventative maintenance could save your ass. VCG is not one of them.

+1
Dont touch it if you are not leaking.