E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Photography (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Taking the Next Step (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956892)

poorkid650 11-20-2012 02:40 AM

Taking the Next Step

Hey guys... So for the last few months I've been shooting a ton of shows in my area and I feel like shooting shows is thing. I believe my first show was only about 8 months ago, but since then I've been shooting for bigger and bigger artists (for free of course.) I feel like in a few months my portfolio should be at its prime.

What I really came here to ask is how the f*ck do I start getting paid? I'm not talking about publications or editorial crap, I'm talking about touring with bands/artists and making the real money. It's a niche market, but it's definitely there and it pays well. A good example is Rukes and Jordan Loyd. I know I am nowhere near their level, but with time I feel like I could be at their level. They both have been shooting for well over 5 years in the industry.

What do you guys recommend me doing? I was told to shoot out a barrage of emails to band/artist managements, PR firms, festival coordinators, etc. offering my services and what not. Do you think this will work? I only ask this because it's a pretty damn time consuming process to get all the names and emails.

Cheers,
Gino

poorkid650 11-20-2012 02:43 AM

Oops forgot to add some information!

I just turned 18, been shooting for about 3 years. My website is www.ginotroian.com, but it's not fully complete. Been messing around with different portfolio websites, still trying to figure out the best one.

I'm pretty damn set on being a music photographer!

cowmoo32 11-20-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorkid650 (Post 14914275)
I was told to shoot out a barrage of emails to band/artist managements, PR firms, festival coordinators, etc. offering my services and what not. Do you think this will work? I only ask this because it's a pretty damn time consuming process to get all the names and emails.

Cheers,
Gino

That's what I was thinking you should do. And of course it's going to take time, it's work.

poorkid650 11-20-2012 08:56 AM

Yeah I might end up doing that. Any ideas on what to say? I'm not sure how to put something together that offers services... Any help is greatly appreciated!

cowmoo32 11-20-2012 12:45 PM

I would see if you can figure out how the guys already in the business are getting paid. Do the artists pay for the service? Do the organizers use the photos as marketing? How does all of that work?

e46stallion 11-20-2012 01:52 PM

yeah man just shoot out a ton of emails with a link to your work and see what happens..

and to be honest im not even that impressed with the 2 guys you linked to your OP..that jordan lloyd kid is pretty solid...i mean your stuff is just as good if not better in some cases then theirs. I didnt really look too deep into their stuff but you have a good eye man and I think you can go far you just need to get your name out there with the big time people you really want to work for. maybe even hit up these photogs you look up to and tell them youd be down to assist or 2nd shoot with them or something like that and make connections that way...

saxual328ci 11-20-2012 10:50 PM

I'm a musician/photographer and in both fields it's what I call a hustle. What I've gather is that u need to improve on your portfolio. Create a web page. Don't just stick to musicians. If you are gonna make money you need to shoot other stuff too. This year I did several kids events.

As for musicians .. Start small and work your way up. Most musicians like when you have some rapport with them. Gain their trust. If you read about other photographers who shot the big name artist. These musicians trusted the photographer.

Check on YouTube. Adam Lerner and Jared Polin hit on this subject. Also www.ishotshows.com Todd talks on this too. He was voted top concert photographer. His work includes live and band shots.

poorkid650 11-21-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 14915063)
I would see if you can figure out how the guys already in the business are getting paid. Do the artists pay for the service? Do the organizers use the photos as marketing? How does all of that work?

Yes, the artist's management pays for the photos for promotional use. Sometimes you could get signed to cover a festival for 3 days, which pays upwards of 2,000 a day. There are a ton of different ways to get paid and make money in this industry. The ticket prices for the last Avicii show I shot were running for $150 for GA since it was a sold out show. It was at the historic Bill Graham Civic Center in SF, which holds around 12,000 people or something crazy like that. There's so much money in this industry. I really thought about shooting rock and roll, but the days of tour photographers are over. Most people now make their money shooting for publications, which is not what I want to do. Sh*tty pay. But to answer your last question... Photographers like Jordan sign contracts with artists management, like they'll shoot the X tour and will be paid X amount of money. Airfare, accommodation, etc. included or not included.

@Evan: Thanks man, that means a lot to me. I'm really trying my best to make something of this! And yeah, asking to be a 2nd shooter would never happen. These guys fly all over the world on private jets with the artists and managers and stuff haha. I wouldn't be worth the money to them :(

Quote:

Start small and work your way up. Most musicians like when you have some rapport with them. Gain their trust. If you read about other photographers who shot the big name artist. These musicians trusted the photographer.
Yeah, I already started doing this! I admit, I lied and told Blink 182's PR that I was doing an article with my local newspaper and was credentialed haha. What a great first show that was lol. As bad as it sounds, it definitely boosted me up into the rankings cause I got a few great photos from a legendary band. I contacted Avicii's management a while ago and he really liked my work and booked me (for free, no pay!) for both of his shows a few months ago in San Francisco. Filip, who's his manager, loves my work and always hooks me up which is really great. Unfortunately, Rukes is Avicii's photographer and I doubt he'll dip anytime soon... I think I just need to shoot a few more big shows and I'll be set... I just need like 5 AMAZING photos that will blow away managers, hopefully I could make that happen :p

I really appreciate all the feedback guys, please don't stop.

poorkid650 11-21-2012 04:37 AM

oops wrong thread lol

saxual328ci 11-22-2012 01:37 AM

I did that once. Made up a story to get the shot. lol I got to shoot an event for a famous rapper/actress.

poorkid650 11-27-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxual328ci (Post 14919056)
I did that once. Made up a story to get the shot. lol I got to shoot an event for a famous rapper/actress.

Haha that's whats up... It's bad but who's watching?

Anyways, today is a big day for me! I send out an email to nearly 300 bands/artists! Hopefully I'll get some hits :p

poorkid650 12-20-2012 04:10 AM

Got booked for a ton of events... My first big gig is coming up that's paying well in the four digits!! :)

/bought a D4 hehe

cowmoo32 12-20-2012 08:55 AM

Congrats man, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. Run with it.

saxual328ci 12-21-2012 01:39 AM

Congrats! I was invited to speak at my alma mater two months ago. It was nice. After I started talking, I just realized how much photography I had did. Make sure you keep a journal and maybe start building a nice portfolio of your work.

k2pilot 12-21-2012 04:47 AM

With your ability this should be no problem, but like most good ideas in the world, it just has to be marketed properly. Building an easily recognizable public image is an effective way to do that, not sure how you'd go about that in photography but I'm sure it's doable. Just look at how much people love the deadmau5 icon. Even if you aren't the best at something, having that easily identifiable trait will be extremely beneficial.

saxual328ci 02-19-2013 09:47 PM

saw this today. good food for thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv7eBJmYmvI

Breezy 02-20-2013 06:03 PM

pics of the d4

3quarterI 02-20-2013 10:21 PM

that's awesome man. congrats!

Sneaky 03-31-2013 08:12 PM

Congrats!!