E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Learned the values of tight battery terminals! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956934)

TRGRENIER 11-20-2012 11:15 AM

Learned the values of tight battery terminals!

So living in northern Canada you can imagine its gets a little cold out in the morning, well I went to work this morning all is good until I turned the car off and proceeded to try to get out. My door handles disingauged so I went to hit the unlock button...nothing, car locked me in!! Haha, so after 20 min of no power what so ever I finally determined one of my battery terminals was loose. To shorten the story I had to jump around in my back seat to shake the car until my interior lights came back on and I can use the central locking.

So to all, tighten your battery terminals lol!

jeepo23 11-20-2012 11:20 AM

So lets say this happens to someone.. How do they get out of their car? You got lucky cause you were able to wiggle your rear courtesy light.

But what if this happens, you loose all power. I know pulling on the handle won't pop the lock pin up, it sits flush into the door so you can't pull it up either.

What does one do?

choxor 11-20-2012 11:26 AM

Pulls the door handle twice?

jayb328i 11-20-2012 11:28 AM

all you guys and gals that go around with loose terminals should have them tightened.

TRGRENIER 11-20-2012 11:31 AM

No I bounced the car until the battery moved enough to re connect, essentially if you can't do this there is no way out of the car

choxor 11-20-2012 11:34 AM

You could...

Pull the door handle twice.

TRGRENIER 11-20-2012 11:39 AM

Choxor; in our cars when you open the drivers door then lock it using the key it disengages the door handles so if you pull on them nothing happens its kind of like a child lock...

boongsin12 11-20-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRGRENIER (Post 14914872)
Choxor; in our cars when you open the drivers door then lock it using the key it disengages the door handles so if you pull on them nothing happens its kind of like a child lock...

What? So you locked yourself in your car with your remote? Why didn't you then unlock it?

tks 11-20-2012 11:49 AM

Because his terminals were loose, hence he had no way of unlocking himself out of the car unless somebody came and opened it with another key from outside.

It'd be funny to install a killswitch (disable windows/power lock) and lock your friends inside your car, or a hostage or something.

choxor 11-20-2012 11:52 AM

Okay...

You're doing it wrong. If you lock the car with the fob it does disengage the inside door handle. This is a security feature, not child protection. Why? Because when you're inside the car you're supposed to use the central locking, not the fob.

If you lock your doors by hitting the central locking button you can get out by pulling the door handle twice. Don't use your fob or silly things will happen. Never heard of anyone doing that until now anyway.

jayb328i 11-20-2012 11:56 AM

This whole issue could be corrected by having the battery relocated to the inside of the car, perhaps on the passenger seat. That way, anytime you need to wiggle the terminal you will have easy access to it, and prevent yourself from being locked inside the car. Perhaps if there is enough of a movement for this to happen, the 2014 model car would have this option.

Zell 11-20-2012 11:56 AM

I tighten the crap out of my battery terminals for that reason.

jeepo23 11-20-2012 12:00 PM

So pulling the door handle twice will not open the door then?

choxor 11-20-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepo23 (Post 14914943)
So pulling the door handle twice will not open the door then?

Not if you do it using the key fob. That deadbolts or "double locks" the car for security. The user manual specifically states not to lock the car with the fob with anyone still inside because they will not be able to get out.

If you lock with the central locking button from inside the car then yes, you can pull the handle twice to get out.

Now supposedly you can hit the central locking then double pull the door handle to get out if the deadbolt is engaged. I haven't tried it and I don't know how that would work with the battery disconnected.

Moral of the story: don't lock the car with the key fob when you or anyone else is inside.

Zell 11-20-2012 12:43 PM

If you lock the door with the key fob and then go in the trunk and disconnect the battery, the person inside won't be able to get out haha

TRGRENIER 11-20-2012 04:58 PM

Yeah if you dead bolt it, then push central locking it lets you out. Just not if the battery is unplugged

eneka 11-20-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 14914899)
Okay...

You're doing it wrong. If you lock the car with the fob it does disengage the inside door handle. This is a security feature, not child protection. Why? Because when you're inside the car you're supposed to use the central locking, not the fob.

If you lock your doors by hitting the central locking button you can get out by pulling the door handle twice. Don't use your fob or silly things will happen. Never heard of anyone doing that until now anyway.

i'm pretty confused too...the alarm deadbolt shouldn't even set until the door opens and closes after the ignition is turned off..