E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Reasons to love SMG (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=957044)

illestminimike 11-20-2012 09:38 PM

Reasons to love SMG

Instead of always posting about our problems, lets make this thread about being grateful for having SMG and some reasons why we like it. I'll go first.

The extremely fast gear changes are a blast. Especially on the free way. Dropping down a few gears to do a pull feels really good.

I like that you can keep both hands on the wheel to shift gears.

Launch control is the sh1t. (I've only used it once but still it's awesome)

I think our cars with SMG makes it somewhat exotic. People always trip out when they see how it works. Makes our cars seem more modern.

Please no bashing on SMG. Lets keep this positive.

lpm 11-20-2012 10:21 PM

Even in my cars current state I can still appreciate the smg. It makes you feel like an f1 driver flick the paddles at almost 8k.

djantlive 11-20-2012 10:23 PM

I bought mine with smg. It is a car that everyone can drive. It is easier to drive and less tiring than a manual. Clutch wear is better from what I gather. It is smooth compare to f1 or egear on a Ferrari or Lambo.

I hear about the pump going bad. I wonder if it's due to people leaving the car in first gear when in traffic or driving it like an auto. Regardless, I am happy with mine.

ANREC330 11-20-2012 10:23 PM

I'm actually looking to buy an e46M and all I can find are smg trannys. All I hear are negative things so ill stick around see it this thread can sway my decision.

e46built 11-20-2012 10:28 PM

i love my smg because i feel like I'm driving stick without the need to press a clutch and keep my hand on the shifter to change gears and have my hand on my girls pussy instead ;) pleasure myself (driving my beautiful 04 325ci smg) and pleasuring my girl lol

empirem3 11-20-2012 10:37 PM

:popcorn:

Grendelsbane 11-20-2012 10:51 PM

Shift lights. I just get a kick of watching the lights blaze up and that smooth as silk shift at just the right time.

lucky_doggg7 11-21-2012 03:05 AM

I would think SMG in normal everyday situations of ferrying yourself to and from work, and other places of business, it would be more relaxing to just drive a 2 pedal car. There are enough things to worry about in life in the everyday grind, responsibilities, and for some, mandates from your employer that you MUST make/maintain margins (meaning fee erosion gets you fired). 2 pedal driving is simply more relaxing in all "driving chore" situations, especially in thick rush hour traffic.

McGary911 11-21-2012 06:05 AM

I love the little rev matching throttle blip on downshifts.

Traffic usually blows when I'm leaving work. This car is a lot easier to drive in those condition than a manual.

$ilent ///M 11-21-2012 07:57 AM

You don't have to push it that fast (2mph) to push start it:thumbsup:

Firstboost 11-21-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGary911 (Post 14917032)
I love the little rev matching throttle blip on downshifts.

This! Especially with the CSL SMG flash.

I also like the uphill assist function since I run into a couple stoplights that are uphill. The launch control is also a nice function that you get with SMG.

illestminimike 11-21-2012 10:45 AM

I like that we can hit the rev limiter without the car changing gears for us. I hate cars that do that.

scca_ziptie 11-21-2012 11:00 AM

Paddle shifters are quicker shifting than manual, which is nice.
No chance of over rev if you click down too many times, which is nice.
Don't have to operate a clutch pedal in stop and go traffic, which is nice.
Clutch lasts longer than a manual (most of the time), which is nice.
Launch control, which is nice.
Hill assist, which is nice.
Very rewarding once you get used to driving the SMG, which is nice.
The look on people's face(s) when they see paddle shifters, which is nice.
Able to brace yourself more consistently at track days, which is nice.
Able to adjust the ferocity of the clutch actuation, which is nice.
You don't wear out your left shoe sole from operating clutch, which is nice.

What movie is the quote, "which is nice" from?

bluewater87 11-21-2012 12:43 PM

Left foot does absolutely nothing, which is nice.
:|

roadtrip1098 11-21-2012 01:29 PM

I know it's ill advised, but should you be in a hard corner and the wrong gear for whatever reason, you can be in the proper gear in about 1/10th of a second. You don't have to let go of the wheel, take your foot from the dead pedal, or even lift from the accelerator.

Also, contrary to popular belief it is a relatively simple system to troubleshoot.

roadtrip1098 11-21-2012 01:32 PM

I aslo enjoy the hillarity of watching someone who's never driven SMG try to start the car.
That and I like how ridiculous the automatic mode is - even my wife drives in manual mode.

illestminimike 11-21-2012 03:35 PM

Lol oh yes I love that people can never start my car. That feeling when you hear "ummmm how do we put in neutral?" is the best.

Ballstowalls 11-21-2012 03:45 PM

I love the down shifts !!!! And when people try to turn on my car I tell them u can drive it if u start it in under 5 second !! :

rjskalet 11-21-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballstowalls (Post 14918032)
I love the down shifts !!!! And when people try to turn on my car I tell them u can drive it if u start it in under 5 second !! :

Lol the biggest challenge I had when I first got mine was learning how to start the car

Rockyminator 11-21-2012 06:45 PM

You guys are making me want an SMG now, never driven one before! :drool: