E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   No reverse (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=957115)

apmanzojr 11-21-2012 12:04 PM

No reverse

Hi Guys,

Last night I have experience a no reverse issue with the car when I pulled up to the gas station and put my car on reverse it feels like it is in neutral. I have a 1999 323i sedan and i think for that car the production date is 1998-11 and it has 124000 miles on in. I did some work on the car since I bought it like oil change, filters, flush the steering, brakes and rotors but not the transmission. I thought that transmission fluid is life time so I never think that I have to do any maintenance on that.

When I am checking out all the forums regarding the issue what I've found out is it can be the issue with the D-drum or the reverse drum or some say it could be the TCC/PWM solenoid but I am not sure which one. which for that year the tranny is always the issue any ideas? What the issue is? I am afraid that I might change the tranny if that will be the case and the tranny could cost me a ton of money, I did invested some money and time on that car and I really like it but right now kinda having a second thought that i might cost me more to keep it, I am just hoping it could be a simple transmission flush or just the TCC selonoid. Ia m sure how to trouble shoot this kind of issues

Thanks in advance.

jdstrickland 11-21-2012 12:17 PM

Read this, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809

Me thinks you have a solenoid problem. The part is $90-ish, and takes about 15 minutes to replace after you have the bottom pan off of the transmission.

The DIFFERENCE in the drum failure and the solenoid failure is that the drum is a fatal condition, the car will never ever go backwards again. If the solenoid is stuck, then the car will go backward again, but you never know when it will or will not do it. With a bad solenoid, the car will randomly go into reverse when you select R. You never know if it will work or not. Obviously, it will usually work when it doesn't matter if it works, and it will always fail when it really really needs to work, but this is just part of the randomness of it all.

apmanzojr 11-21-2012 12:38 PM

Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate and I hope that is the ony issue

By any chance, do you know where do I get the solenoid, I did asked the pelican parts and they were saying that it is part of the main valve boby I think which cost 2k. I have spoken to one the the places which sells a used tranny the guy was saying that it could be also a transmission problem or it could be a TCC/PWN because the way I am describing it to him. I am hoping it not the tranny.

Thank you again

boostedisbetter 11-21-2012 12:46 PM

Should be titled " why never to buy an AT bmw " Good luck with this man, sucks that this happens to so many e46s :tsk:

jdstrickland 11-21-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apmanzojr (Post 14917653)
Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate and I hope that is the ony issue

By any chance, do you know where do I get the solenoid, I did asked the pelican parts and they were saying that it is part of the main valve boby I think which cost 2k. I have spoken to one the the places which sells a used tranny the guy was saying that it could be also a transmission problem or it could be a TCC/PWN because the way I am describing it to him. I am hoping it not the tranny.

Thank you again

There is a part number in the link I gave you earlier.

I would not buy this part any place but the dealer or a tranmission repair place. It costs something like 80 bucks, just get it at the dealer and be done. READ the link I gave you, it tells you all about which transmission you have and what to do to fix No Reverse.

apmanzojr 11-21-2012 12:58 PM

Thanks again for your help,

jdstrickland 11-21-2012 01:00 PM

The problem with the transmission shop is that they can get $1500 for a rebuild, but only $80 for the part you need. If they are doing a flush & fill already, then they can put the solenoid in in about 15 more minutes. Take the pan off to drain the trans. There is a filter kit that is needed. When the pan is off, there are something like 8 screws that hold the valve body where the solenoid fits. You take these screws out, replace the solenoid, and put it all back together. If they charged $175 for a flush & fill with a new filter kit, then they should drop in the solenoid for the cost of the part and _maybe_ another half hour of labor. Personally, I could make an argument that they do it for the part because they are already charging an hour of labor for a job that takes less than an hour to perform, but giving the shop the benefit of any doubt, it is fair that they get a half hour for the extra work.

The hard part is that you have to stand on your head spitting wooden nickles doing a Russian tap dance while filling the transmission fluid again. There is a specific method of filling that I don't know, but they make it sound difficult to do while laying on your back on the garage floor. The shop can do this easily because the car is 7 feet off the floor, and this job is far easier when standing than when laying on your back.

apmanzojr 11-21-2012 01:40 PM

Thanks,

i am hoping that the issue is only that, I don't mind bringing it to the shop or even to the dealership and have it done over there at least I know its is getting done properly. Does this car only uses a BMW specific transmission fluid? And also if I am going to do it myself how hard could this be doing this work at my own garage ie flushing and filling the fuild, changing the filter and the solenoid.

apmanzojr 11-21-2012 01:47 PM

As far as I know my Transmission is a A5360R which make is it a GM correct or ZF?

cvx5832 11-21-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apmanzojr (Post 14917823)
As far as I know my Transmission is a A5360R which make is it a GM correct or ZF?

Only absolute way to be sure is to look at the tag on the side of the tranny, under the car. A few have reported having a transmission that was inconsistent with the transmission charts.

Hoebama 11-21-2012 02:48 PM

OP your car is pre 03/00 so you have a GM transmission. Lucky guy per se

Loaded325i 11-21-2012 03:07 PM

Either a valve body rebuild or fluid flush and solenoid