E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What's everyone's opinions on the new golf gti and R?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=957466)

DesiredM 11-23-2012 05:12 PM

What's everyone's opinions on the new golf gti and R??
 
Ok so not sure if everyone knows but found out my M3's subframe is cracked. I'm currently trying to get the dealer which I purchased it off to fix it as it falls under a breech of stat warranty but we will see how it goes.

Anyway either way the car will get fixed and I'm probably going to sell it as I don't want to drive a car that ill constantly worried about - just can't enjoy it even though I love the car and don't want to let it go.

Anyway I'm looking at getting something reliable which I can enjoy without worrying and won't cost me tons of money to maintain so whats everyone's opinions?
I'm looking at
Golf R/GTI
Toyota 86
BMW 135 (how reliable are they, or will it cost just as much as an M to maintain?)
Nissan 370GT (not sure about this one)

Anyone have any other suggestions or opinions?

Also once the M is repaired it will be a great purchase for someone - repaired and reinforced subframe and a 5 year warranty on the car. Yes I know it would sound like its worry free after its fixed I just can't live with the issues it can bring and probably need something a little more responsible for my DD and my fiancÚ as a child may be on the way soon.

Thanks all!!!

wc325i 11-23-2012 07:20 PM

Don't get a GTI, their good cars but there's just way too many on the road nowadays.

DesiredM 11-24-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wc325i (Post 14922093)
Don't get a GTI, their good cars but there's just way too many on the road nowadays.

If I got a GTI it would be a 2011/12 model - if I get an R it would be a 2010 model. But wow a golf R with apr stage 1 tune beats a M3?? So very tempting.

steve.k 11-24-2012 06:40 AM

Golf R > Gti. Have you considered a Scirocco? They are awesome.
Also don't get an 86, you will be dissapointed with its lack of power. What about a 2012 WRX? Or 370Z?
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but I am impressed with the Veloster Turbo too lol.

DesiredM 11-24-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve.k (Post 14922805)
Golf R > Gti. Have you considered a Scirocco? They are awesome.
Also don't get an 86, you will be dissapointed with its lack of power. What about a 2012 WRX? Or 370Z?
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but I am impressed with the Veloster Turbo too lol.

Yeah I looked at the scirocco however the power it has and just FWD kind of kills it for me and the golf is cheaper and can handle mods better due to its AWD system. The WRXs are good but I see the VW to be more reliable and hold its value more, although I could be wrong. Wouldn't do a 370z cause of the 2 seats :(
My budget is roughly 40-45k so need to find something within that

Haha my fiancÚ is actually getting a veloster turbo so ill have the joy of that to :p

wc325i 11-24-2012 07:08 AM

+1 for Golf R.
Suspension, apr stage 1 and its a monster already !! Maybe get Haldex as well not sure if Golf R needs it though, but i know they're really good for r32

LSM3 11-24-2012 03:56 PM

Golf R's and GTI's are cool - i have a lot of friends with them, however they all have some sort of mechanical issues and a lot of them have oil consumption issues. I'd never own a VW or Audi out of warranty.

Nath 11-24-2012 05:22 PM

MY10 Golf R > MY12 GTI (unless you enjoy axel tramp)

There are quite a few tuners not only APR and some good forums with plenty of build threads with tried and tested mods

Coilovers > haldex (I have both)

M3_DU 11-24-2012 06:15 PM

135i. Inline turbo six and RWD. What more do you need?

abbas_m3 11-24-2012 06:31 PM

2010 sti ? Will most likely kill all the cars you mentioned, leather, navigation and imo the sedan looks beautiful.

My mate just bought a golf R, honestly it's a really nice car, however at the end it's just a golf.

Then there's there 135i and 335i personally would go for a 335i.


I'm also in the same boat, getting rid of my M3, still don't know what to go for :/

DesiredM 11-24-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3_DU (Post 14923809)
135i. Inline turbo six and RWD. What more do you need?

They are great cars, I have always loved them but after reading so many issues they have outside of warranty it makes me very hesitant to get one.


Quote:

Originally Posted by abbas_m3 (Post 14923854)
2010 sti ? Will most likely kill all the cars you mentioned, leather, navigation and imo the sedan looks beautiful.

My mate just bought a golf R, honestly it's a really nice car, however at the end it's just a golf.

Then there's there 135i and 335i personally would go for a 335i.


I'm also in the same boat, getting rid of my M3, still don't know what to go for :/

The wrx sti would be a great car but they have a registered 0-100 time of 5.3 seconds so it's only slightly faster then a golf R however any stage 1 tune on the golf puts it at 0-100 in 4.9-5.1 seconds which is pretty good for such a small car.

It will be hard coming off an M3 to find something that excites me as much as it does - I think my top 3 choices right now are golf r, wrx and a evo but it's hard to look past a golf even if it is just a golf haha.

CortinaD 11-24-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredM (Post 14923859)
They are great cars, I have always loved them but after reading so many issues they have outside of warranty it makes me very hesitant to get one.




The wrx sti would be a great car but they have a registered 0-100 time of 5.3 seconds so it's only slightly faster then a golf R however any stage 1 tune on the golf puts it at 0-100 in 4.9-5.1 seconds which is pretty good for such a small car.

It will be hard coming off an M3 to find something that excites me as much as it does - I think my top 3 choices right now are golf r, wrx and a evo but it's hard to look past a golf even if it is just a golf haha.

Buy a new gti. You seem scared of repair so new will enable you to drive without concern for pocket hurt.

Nath 11-24-2012 10:02 PM

Or buy a R that has factory warranty remaining and extend it for a further 3 years..

DesiredM 11-24-2012 10:31 PM

Yeah apparently I can get a 2010 R and extend the warranty at VW for another 3 years for $2000 which isn't bad?

BMW E465 11-24-2012 11:06 PM

135/335 out of warranty isn't that bad. Main issues are: Fuel pump - 350, spark plugs - 100 a set, injectors - 200 each, coil pack - can't remember. All iirc cause i never had the above issues with mine :)

Plenty of tuned n54s getting around at 260-280rwkw with the above consumables being the main things to change sooner than normal.

Chewy 11-25-2012 01:15 AM

I'm not talking about cars in general, but if you can get a BMW with BMW warranty, that would be a great purchase. In my experience their warranty has been superb and no hassles. I cannot comment on other dealers however.

Anyway, just get a e60 m5. Love that sound.

Maloo seems to do alright on the top great track ;)

Maybe it's time for a fourbie.

abbas_m3 11-25-2012 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredM (Post 14923859)
They are great cars, I have always loved them but after reading so many issues they have outside of warranty it makes me very hesitant to get one.




The wrx sti would be a great car but they have a registered 0-100 time of 5.3 seconds so it's only slightly faster then a golf R however any stage 1 tune on the golf puts it at 0-100 in 4.9-5.1 seconds which is pretty good for such a small car.

It will be hard coming off an M3 to find something that excites me as much as it does - I think my top 3 choices right now are golf r, wrx and a evo but it's hard to look past a golf even if it is just a golf haha.

Realistically the STI does 0-100 in around 5 flat, maybe a little faster. Just adding a exhaust and tune would pull an extra 40kw of power to the wheels, and the torque would be immense. Never really heard of any problems from these new sti's ?

Should have a look at one. If the Golf-R is what your looking for then go ahead, however I reckon it's to much money for what it is.

Nath 11-25-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredM (Post 14924333)
Yeah apparently I can get a 2010 R and extend the warranty at VW for another 3 years for $2000 which isn't bad?

Correct, it's what I did

Ballistic325 11-25-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbas_m3 (Post 14924615)
Realistically the STI does 0-100 in around 5 flat, maybe a little faster. Just adding a exhaust and tune would pull an extra 40kw of power to the wheels, and the torque would be immense. Never really heard of any problems from these new sti's ?

Should have a look at one. If the Golf-R is what your looking for then go ahead, however I reckon it's to much money for what it is.

With a Golf R you buy something that is super quick, all the creature comforts etc without the STi image and stereotype, even if it is a 2012 model. You could cruise down anywhere in the Golf and not have to worry about cops stopping you for a "RBT" and leaving with a defect cos the w*nker doesn't know a stock exhaust and wheels from his elbow.

It is a little bit of a sleeper and has some cachet and respectability attached to it which the STi (boy racer, young hoon etc) does not. And, if you look as youthful as you say you do in other threads......

As far as cars go, the STi and Golf are both excellent choices and the decision will come down to your own preferences.

There are some good choices listed here and you'll just have to see what you want - just sporty (86 / 135 / 370Z) or sporty and practical (Golf R).

Good luck! :thumbup:

PS - what are the details on your M3? :eeps:

DesiredM 11-25-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballistic325 (Post 14926306)
With a Golf R you buy something that is super quick, all the creature comforts etc without the STi image and stereotype, even if it is a 2012 model. You could cruise down anywhere in the Golf and not have to worry about cops stopping you for a "RBT" and leaving with a defect cos the w*nker doesn't know a stock exhaust and wheels from his elbow.

It is a little bit of a sleeper and has some cachet and respectability attached to it which the STi (boy racer, young hoon etc) does not. And, if you look as youthful as you say you do in other threads......

As far as cars go, the STi and Golf are both excellent choices and the decision will come down to your own preferences.

There are some good choices listed here and you'll just have to see what you want - just sporty (86 / 135 / 370Z) or sporty and practical (Golf R).

Good luck! :thumbup:

PS - what are the details on your M3? :eeps:


They are both great cars just very different in looks but similar in performance, I'd have to test drive a few cars and see what appeals to me the most though - but a golf r does seem to be the most appealing and is good money for what you get.

The details of my current M3
Carbon Black with black interior
The car is completely stock, SMG and I'm the 3rd owner.
It has 110,000kms on the clock.
No accident history and clean title.
Solid service history and a lot of preventative maintenance has been done - the subframe will be repaired/reinforced and bushings all replaced ($5000 cost) which is a massive plus for any potential buyer and also comes with a little under 5 years left on the warranty which covers every mechanical aspect of the car (everything from the engine all the way down to window motors).

Only bad points I can see with the car is the bumper has stone chips on the lips from the PO and where he lived/drove obviously had lose rocks. And there is a small dent in the passenger side door but I will be getting that repaired. There's a few small scratches but you would expect that with a 10 year old car.

Ill be listing it for $40k Ono


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use