E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Vredestein Wintracs...are they worth the $400 price differential??? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=957886)

TechieTechie 11-26-2012 11:04 AM

Vredestein Wintracs...are they worth the $400 price differential???

Hi all....

I am getting my M3 ready for winter and was just about to purchase Blizzak WS70s when I ran across a review for Vredesteins. They seem to have rave reviews in Europe and make a very good product. Called EuroTire and they have Wintracs in stock in the size I want (225/45/18)....challenge is that they are approximately $400 more than a set of Blizzak WS70s (which I've used in the past and love).

My question to the collective forum is...based upon your experience, are they worth the extra money...either in longevity or in snow performance? I've heard Blizzak studless are only good for 2 to 3 seasons, Wintracs for 3.

If it helps, I spend 70% of my time on dry or snowdusted roads in Boston (with a half dozen blizzards and nasty days thrown in)...the other 30% commuting to my VT ski house which is at the end of a 2 mile, dirt/ice, often unplowed uphill (fun, fun)....

Thanks in advance....

PS...please don't tell me to not drive the car in the winter...that ship has sailed....

dreamdrivedrift 11-27-2012 08:22 PM

WS70s have worked fine for me. They lasted me 2 seasons and are absolutely worthless now. Like spinning tires through 3rd gear in a E36 M3 worthless. That said I run -3 camber in the front and -2 camber in the rear with pretty much 0 toe all around, and the camber EATS through the WS70s, and I ran them in from October - April, with a good amount of running in fairly warm weather.

I see no reason to switch to Vreds if they cost that much more, I was passing stuck SUVs going up hills in a lowered E36 M3...

E36Shikara 11-29-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieTechie (Post 14927072)
Hi all....

I am getting my M3 ready for winter and was just about to purchase Blizzak WS70s when I ran across a review for Vredesteins. They seem to have rave reviews in Europe and make a very good product. Called EuroTire and they have Wintracs in stock in the size I want (225/45/18)....challenge is that they are approximately $400 more than a set of Blizzak WS70s (which I've used in the past and love).

My question to the collective forum is...based upon your experience, are they worth the extra money...either in longevity or in snow performance? I've heard Blizzak studless are only good for 2 to 3 seasons, Wintracs for 3.

If it helps, I spend 70% of my time on dry or snowdusted roads in Boston (with a half dozen blizzards and nasty days thrown in)...the other 30% commuting to my VT ski house which is at the end of a 2 mile, dirt/ice, often unplowed uphill (fun, fun)....

Thanks in advance....

PS...please don't tell me to not drive the car in the winter...that ship has sailed....

Jen

Vredesteins are great in the snow.. Have you considered Nokian Hakkapellitta 7s? Call Chang over at Fun Hondas (funhondas.com) - he just placed an order for John Chiu last week..

Those are hands down the best winter tires..