E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Performance Friction Z / Stoptech Street Performance / EBC Red Stuff / Cool Carbon ? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958274)

Eric W 11-28-2012 03:00 PM

Performance Friction Z / Stoptech Street Performance / EBC Red Stuff / Cool Carbon ?

Performance Friction Z-rated VS. Stoptech Street Performance VS. Cool Carbon VS. EBC Red Stuff:

Which of these brake pads have the absolute best initial "bite" and "Grab" ??
In my opinion the initial "Bite" of the oem bmw pads is horrible. I'm looking for an aftermarket pad that as soon as the pad touches the rotor COLD OR HOT it throws you through the windshield.

The initial bite/grab is of up most importance.
Quite/squeal free operation is a very close second.

Oem brake pad's leave me with much to be desired concerning initial bite/grab

Car is a 325ci daily driver only that see's 600 miles per week of HARD/AGGRESSIVE delivery driving.

Ken@BavAuto 11-28-2012 03:32 PM

I can offer my answer based on the direct feedback I've received from my customers. Out of the 4 pads you asked about, the only 1 we sell is the Cool Carbon so this is not intended to be any type of comparison to anything except an OEM type brake pad.

Initial bite, regardless of temp is excellent and much improved over OEM. If you use a Noise Free product of some kind and apply it correctly and use a fresh set of rotors you should not have any squealing issues. I put that in bold intentionally, it's very difficult to promise something like this. I've had people use all brand new parts and install things exactly as we say and never cure an occasional squeal. Sometimes it happens. I know that can be a deal breaker so if silence is an absolute requirement, you might want to stick with something like an OEM or Pagid brake pad, something soft.

Brake dust is reduced slightly with the Cool Carbons but it is by no means a clean/dust free pad.

BimmerBrakes 11-28-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric W (Post 14934738)
I'm looking for an aftermarket pad that as soon as the pad touches the rotor COLD OR HOT it throws you through the windshield.

non of those pads will do that...

Eric W 11-28-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerBrakes (Post 14935705)
non of those pads will do that...

The more and more I research this I am beginning to find that people are say that the factory oem bmw brake pads have the best initial bite of any aftermarket pad on the market???
This can't possibly be true is it? I have stock pads on my 325ci and the initial grab/bite is horribly weak.
I will pay whatever $$$$ need be to find me a set of pads that will "chuck" me forward in my seat with very very little brake pedal pressure.
I basically want to lightly tap the brake pedal and almost trigger the abs,.............is this even possible? What pad's will get me the closest to this goal??? help?:thanks:

dreamdrivedrift 11-28-2012 10:10 PM

Are you kidding me? Factory pads have fantastic initial bite. Maybe you need to bed them in again, or turn your rotors and bed them in, or something like that. Or maybe you don't have OEM pads in like you think you do.

Also, you do not want a set of pads that will trigger ABS very little brake pressure, that would be hard to modulate on the street. That would be a terrible braking system and you would get into a lot of trouble very fast. What you want is a system that is:
a) linear, easy to modulate brake force
b) responsive at all temperatures

The PFC Zs and the Stoptech Streets trade initial bite for better heat resistance. They don't fade as quick as stock pads and provide nice linear response once they build up a bit of heat. When cold, they suck, they feel wooden. The Stoptech Streets in my experience handle heat better than PFC Zs, but both are a bit lacking on the street.

BimmerBrakes 11-28-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric W (Post 14935861)
The more and more I research this I am beginning to find that people are say that the factory oem bmw brake pads have the best initial bite of any aftermarket pad on the market???
This can't possibly be true is it? I have stock pads on my 325ci and the initial grab/bite is horribly weak.
I will pay whatever $$$$ need be to find me a set of pads that will "chuck" me forward in my seat with very very little brake pedal pressure.
I basically want to lightly tap the brake pedal and almost trigger the abs,.............is this even possible? What pad's will get me the closest to this goal??? help?:thanks:

Did you get ur car new? Factory pads is one of the most aggressive pads out there for our cars. Most people are willing to give up the initial bite due to crazy dusting of the pads.

I would get another set of factory pads and flush out the system and give it another spin.

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes

ThatGuy_JZ 11-28-2012 11:09 PM

I like my Performance Friction Z's... search and you can find some feedback on them. Overall though I'm happy and have had zero issues. Unlike with Hawk pads, ran on 2 different vehicles, that each had issues with backing plates deforming and squealing or separating and gouging my rotors.

In talking with a friend of mine, an engineer running PF's on his corvette, he works with another engineer who was formerly employed @ PF in South Carolina. His coworker was telling him after seeing what he saw working there, he would never run those pads on his car. But honestly, so far in my experience, they're are the best choice I've made. I will admit they can on and off squeak just briefly for a second when coming to a slow stop after they get heated up, but I assume that's just contributed to material streak in the pads and other variances.

hokiebimmer 11-28-2012 11:33 PM

I have PF's on my car and love them. The initial bite when cold isn't the best but once they're warm they will bite hard and just like others have said, they don't fade easily. They're also very quiet and don't squeal unless they are really hot.

Eric W 11-29-2012 12:04 AM

Guys I really really appreciate all the feedback and help: A very good point was brought up here: Maybe I actually don't have the stock oem pads in there as I bought the car used. Tomorrow night Ill pull the wheels off and verify exactly what type of pads I currently have. Because now that I'm thinking about it more I do have significant brake dust but nothing tremendously bad like you guys seem to be describing with the oem pads. My brake dust is there but nothing outta the ordinary i'd say. I put 2,000+ miles per month on this car, I could not handle massive amounts of brake dust being that I drive my car for my living.

GhostFlame 11-29-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric W (Post 14936172)
Guys I really really appreciate all the feedback and help: A very good point was brought up here: Maybe I actually don't have the stock oem pads in there as I bought the car used. Tomorrow night Ill pull the wheels off and verify exactly what type of pads I currently have. Because now that I'm thinking about it more I do have significant brake dust but nothing tremendously bad like you guys seem to be describing with the oem pads. My brake dust is there but nothing outta the ordinary i'd say. I put 2,000+ miles per month on this car, I could not handle massive amounts of brake dust being that I drive my car for my living.

You don't have to stock pads on there, trust us.

They are simply amazing.

TxZHP04 11-30-2012 08:45 AM

As only one other poster has mentioned so far, I would start with a brake fluid flush. Then, if that doesn't give you what you're looking for, check to see not only what pads are on the car but also what rotors.

Eric W 12-02-2012 06:50 PM

Okay guys I just pulled off my front brake pads and they are ProStop Platinum brake pads which are Pep-boys brand of brake pads. Just off the shelf supposedly "oem like" replacement brake pads,.................No wonder I thought the initial bite of them sucked!!!!! But they where pretty low brake dust pads.

Im lost now,? Where do I go from here? I go from ProStop Platinum pep-boys brake pads too what? Very frustrating this guessing game.

How incredibly bad is the oem bmw brake pad dust???? Apparently I thought I had oem brake pads but Now I see that I don't.

Any guidance or direction would be very much appreciated :thanks:

dayusmc 12-02-2012 07:08 PM

I put the StopTech on last week. They seem to be as good as OEM. They don't make any noise and it seems like don't have as much brake dust as stock...

Eric W 12-02-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayusmc (Post 14945434)
I put the StopTech on last week. They seem to be as good as OEM. They don't make any noise and it seems like don't have as much brake dust as stock...

^^^^ Do the StopTech's seem to have as good of an initial bite as what your oem pads used to have? How good do they seem to grab when there still cold?

dayusmc 12-02-2012 07:28 PM

They seem to have just as good initial bite and cold bite. I think they are pretty much the same as stock. A little less dusty but not dustless....

Kyle

Snik 12-02-2012 07:37 PM

bought the car with HAWK HPS pads, so far ive put about 5k miles and they are VERY impressive. Love the bit and feedback. minimal dusting, and no noise. so far even in temps down to the 30s they feel the same.

Car also has SS brake lines too, so factor that in, if it makes any difference.

daves325in2012 12-02-2012 08:02 PM

I've had the PF Z rated on my 325 and had OE on before these.

The z rated are amazing and are slightly less dust than OE Jurid.

They DO take a teeny bit more warm up time to feel less hard and 'stiff', but damn once they warm up they don't run out of steam and I have also noticed that the feel of them is more refined so to say when modulating the pedal. Allows a better adjustment of braking grip and I notice this compared to the rear of the car (which has OE pads), AND compared to when I had OE jurid on all four corners (now only in rear are OE jurids)

I do run OE rotors. The brake dust is less of a darkish clay (red) from OE and is now basically black dust in the front of my car. Easily a great buy in my book.

Another post said something about a squeek that happens for a quick second when hot and I also find this to be true. They're noiseless besides an occasional squeek here and there. Good choice!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

peytonracer4 12-02-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric W (Post 14935861)

I'm guessing you do not have OE pads. They're incredible for performance off the track. Even on light track duty they're good.
The initial bite is just about as good as it can get. The ONLY downside to them is dust.
You have aftermarket pads because OEM are awesome. Sorry

peytonracer4 12-02-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric W (Post 14945394)
Okay guys I just pulled off my front brake pads and they are ProStop Platinum brake pads which are Pep-boys brand of brake pads. Just off the shelf supposedly "oem like" replacement brake pads,.................No wonder I thought the initial bite of them sucked!!!!! But they where pretty low brake dust pads.

Im lost now,? Where do I go from here? I go from ProStop Platinum pep-boys brake pads too what? Very frustrating this guessing game.

How incredibly bad is the oem bmw brake pad dust???? Apparently I thought I had oem brake pads but Now I see that I don't.

Any guidance or direction would be very much appreciated :thanks:

Stock brake dust is very bad. Like drive for a week and your front wheels are dark grey to black. Drive for a full day and your wheels look like poop.
Worth it if you can wipe your wheels down twice a week.

Eric W 12-02-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonracer4 (Post 14945561)
I'm guessing you do not have OE pads. They're incredible for performance off the track. Even on light track duty they're good.
The initial bite is just about as good as it can get. The ONLY downside to them is dust.
You have aftermarket pads because OEM are awesome. Sorry

I do have aftermarket PeP-Boys brand: Pro-Stop Platinum brand brake pads. Basically cheap junk is on there right now.

And what Im searching for is kick-ass initial bite and cold performance. So OEM is pretty much unbeatable for initial bite/grab?????? Nothing aftermarket can compare with oem's initial bite?

OOPS NVM. already answer my question I think