E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   clutc problem (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958314)

white46m54 11-28-2012 08:32 PM

clutc problem

My 2001 325i developed a problem lately after a new clutch was replaced 10 months ago. The car jerks just before I release fully the clutch. Sometime the car shakes a lot and sometimes a little and other times is normal. If I give more rpms before I release the clutch shakes less. Is the clutch disk slipping or is something else? Anew clutch can do that? Thanks for any good ideas.

Stinger9 11-28-2012 09:04 PM

I'm not the clutch expert, but I believe misalignment can cause what ails your car.
Or a contaminated clutch plate.

Assume you did a new pressure plate at the same time?

shovelit 11-28-2012 09:37 PM

+1 on contamination. Also bad springs in the disc. What kind of clutch is it?

SweTurbo 11-28-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 14935598)
I'm not the clutch expert, but I believe misalignment can cause what ails your car.
Or a contaminated clutch plate.

A clutch cant be misaligned , you use an alignment tool when you install so the transmission will bolt up to the engine , once it's bolted up the clutch disk will center on the transmission input shaft as soon as you release the pressure plate(push the pedal).
Contamination does this , most common is the rear seal leaking and getting oil on the clutch disk.
Thats why you should pretty much always change the rear seal.

white46m54 11-28-2012 10:11 PM

After I release the clutch the car do not shake at all. Only the moment before full release of the clutch, the car is shaking. Then, I accelerate fast and it has no problem.

330iDiot 11-28-2012 11:48 PM

Could be a bad DMF. Did you get a new one when they changed out the clutch?

Stinger9 11-29-2012 12:11 AM

You'd have to be an idiot to think that everyone knows what a DMF is.

pleiades 11-29-2012 12:49 AM

I know Stinger knows but ...

dual-mass flywheel

Not that this has anything to do with the issue here but ...

There's an alignment dowel on the crankshaft mount to ensure the flywheel is properly aligned. However, that dowel can be lost if it's say.... stuck to the old flywheel and the new DMF was installed without it by someone that wasn't alert.

This would probably create some timing issues but I'm not certain about that on the sixes.

So, white46m54..... what clutch did you have intalled, and did you get a new flywheel with it?

Stinger9 11-29-2012 01:09 AM

mea culpa: actually I didn't, but I couldn't pass up the joke.
I knew it was dual mass, but didn't know flywheel.
Not really that knowledgeable regarding clutches even tho I put a new one in several cars ago. Got corrected back in post #4 too!

white46m54 11-29-2012 01:49 AM

The car has 210000 miles and the flywheel is the original.the mechanic changed the clutch and said nothing about flywheel.

TitaniumCranium 11-29-2012 02:16 AM

I'd be willing to bet that not replacing the DMF is causing your issues. When you get a new flywheel the surface is ground, kind of like new brake rotors. When a new clutch mates against that surface they break-in together. Some of the clutch material is transferred to the surface of the flywheel during the break-in process and they bed in much like brakes do. This break-in process provides for a smooth clutch release. IF you're still running the original DMF, it's probably burned, contaminated or just plain worn out. In every instance I've seen the flywheel takes more abuse and wears quicker than the the pressure plate does, no matter how well/precisely the tranny splines are greased (which allows the clutch disk to move back and forth during clutch release).

Did they replace just the clutch disk? Could be that they didn't replace the pressure plate either. How much did they charge for the work? Do you have a parts list?

pleiades 11-29-2012 09:56 AM

I agree with Titanium. That mileage is a lot for any original clutch part. When you replace the clutches in these cars at these ages, you need to replace several things at a minimum.

Pilot bearing (and probably rear main seal "since you're there")
Flywheel
Clutch kit (disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing)
.... and other assorted bits including any driveshaft components (giubo, centering guide sleeve, center support bearing) that are unbolted to get the trans out, any while-you're-there trans & shifter seals/bushings etc....

white46m54, do you know what your mech replaced? You do not want that flywheel to explode.

white46m54 11-29-2012 10:42 AM

They replace the whole kit and the cost was $890.00. If it is contaminated, how can be fixed?

E36bimmer 11-29-2012 11:15 AM

I just did my clutch and when I bough the parts they wouldn't let me buy just the clutch kit, I had to get the flywheel too. When I took it all apart the flywheel looked like crap, I am putting my money on your flywheel being worn out. like what was said above, it is similar to replacing brake pads and rotors at the same time.

Stinger9 11-29-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36bimmer (Post 14936982)
I just did my clutch

what kind of mileage on your car?

E36bimmer 11-29-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 14937124)
what kind of mileage on your car?

152,000 miles no record of clutch being replaced before this.

Stinger9 11-29-2012 04:47 PM

Encouraging!

Thanks

Wolrab 11-29-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 14938217)
Encouraging!

Thanks

I have 175,000 on the original clutch in my E60. Some guys are getting them replaced every 30,000. That's a factor of about 6 - there's a HUGE variation in clutch life that depends on driving style and conditions.

///MPR77 11-29-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white46m54 (Post 14936238)
The car has 210000 miles and the flywheel is the original.the mechanic changed the clutch and said nothing about flywheel.

I have my original flywheel, and I am at 296k, but I certainly cannot tell you that your flywheel is fine.

The problem you're describing is one I experience when the clutch is going bad.
It feels like the only way to get the car going without it shaking and stuttering, is to take off aggressively every single time, which is annoying.

Unfortunately, it seems as if you're going to have to drop the transmission again. I would take it back to the mechanic who installed it, and very diplomatically,tell him what is going on.

Possibly Sounds like an issue with the pressure plate though.
Good Luck.