E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   2003 ZHP Camber (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958362)

Dathaeus 11-29-2012 12:21 AM

2003 ZHP Camber
 
1 Attachment(s)
Isnt the camber supposed to be adjusted to -0.5 on the 2003 ZHP? I just got new tires and they did an analysis on the wheels/axle, and it shows in the attached image.....

Are these numbers within acceptable tolerance? I assume more neg camber means it will help hold turns better but it will create more uneven tire wear on straight line driving?

nae36 11-29-2012 10:18 AM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...rmance_Package

According to this document the specs look correct regarding front camber. Correct when the car rolls with a turn the tire will move towards 0 degrees or positive degrees depending on how hard the turn was taken. There is a little noticeable tire wear with negative camber in the straight line but it has to deal with the toe settings more than the camber settings. Uneven tire wear is just the nature of the beast when driving a sports car. :)

WDE46 11-29-2012 11:22 AM

For an unloaded E46, -1.5 to -1.8 degrees of rear camber is perfect. BMW specifies -2 degrees with a load ballast (I'm pretty sure). Camber decreases (becomes more negative) with decreasing ride height.

As for your toe, that is fine too. You want just a little toe in on the front and rear.

lcoleman 11-29-2012 12:02 PM

Interesting that there is so much less camber in the front compared to the rear. I would generally expect the opposite. Your alignment is perfectly even, most shops I've been to don't take the time to do it that accurately.

Mango 11-29-2012 12:08 PM

My shop nails the alignment, per my specs, to the absolute tee. But yeah more negative camber in the rear is normal and common on BMWs. This is for safer driving (for the general public) that's why the rear tires on BMWs wear out so fast. toe in + negative camber.

Dathaeus 11-29-2012 06:18 PM

Thanks guys! Makes me feel a lot better.. will have to take it to my lifetime free alignment at Firestone since I just got new tires but nice to know.

Should I actually take #'s and take it to them, and does anyone have those specs my car should have if perfect? I wouldnt be surprised if they were not familiar with a ZHP's specs. I hope they dont do a bad job but I have been going to them for like the last 10 years. They always give me a computer report when I ask for it etc... (P.S. I have 17" BBS, not sure if that matters)

subieworx 11-29-2012 06:32 PM

I would want the front camber evened out more than anything. Either .5 or 1.1 is fine for daily driving. I drive my ZHP 20000 miles per year with neg 1.8 front camber, .1* total toe in front, neg 1.5 rear camber and .1* toe in rear. Tire wear is perfectly even and the car handles well.

On my 335 I run neg 3.2 camber front and neg 1.8 rear with the same toe settings as the ZHP and get only slightly accelerated front inside tire wear.

With these rear settings rear tire wear is even.

WDE46 11-29-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dathaeus (Post 14938674)
Thanks guys! Makes me feel a lot better.. will have to take it to my lifetime free alignment at Firestone since I just got new tires but nice to know.

Should I actually take #'s and take it to them, and does anyone have those specs my car should have if perfect? I wouldnt be surprised if they were not familiar with a ZHP's specs. I hope they dont do a bad job but I have been going to them for like the last 10 years. They always give me a computer report when I ask for it etc... (P.S. I have 17" BBS, not sure if that matters)

They can do it. Most shops seem to have the Hunter laser computer alignment device. It has the specs of almost every car on the road in it's computer. The shop I went to once (generic oil change/AC/alignment place) even got instructions on how to weight the car according to BMW. I told them to ignore it and subtract 10-20% from the camber specs.

Dathaeus 12-01-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subieworx (Post 14938725)
I would want the front camber evened out more than anything. Either .5 or 1.1 is fine for daily driving. I drive my ZHP 20000 miles per year with neg 1.8 front camber, .1* total toe in front, neg 1.5 rear camber and .1* toe in rear. Tire wear is perfectly even and the car handles well.

On my 335 I run neg 3.2 camber front and neg 1.8 rear with the same toe settings as the ZHP and get only slightly accelerated front inside tire wear.

With these rear settings rear tire wear is even.

Do you mean -0.5 to -1.1? It seems like such a small difference, is that kind of camber adjustment worth much on hard turns, i.e., can you actually feel the difference when you are not racing all the time and just turning aggressively in every day driving?


Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 14938827)
They can do it. Most shops seem to have the Hunter laser computer alignment device. It has the specs of almost every car on the road in it's computer. The shop I went to once (generic oil change/AC/alignment place) even got instructions on how to weight the car according to BMW. I told them to ignore it and subtract 10-20% from the camber specs.

Meaning they should have the ZHP stats in there as well? I am going to Firestone where I do think they use the electronic equipment to get everything right.

subieworx 12-01-2012 08:17 AM

You will feel it in a daily driver car more in terms of the car going straight down the road. With camber being that far off it can cause the wheel to pull one direction.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use