E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Vibration under driverside floor (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=958518)

SlimE46 11-29-2012 09:26 PM

Vibration under driverside floor

Long story short i bought a POS. im stuck with it now and tryin to get in in ok condition. Recently when i drove my axel was clicking and i thought the combination of the clicking and vibration under my driverside floor was just the axel being bad. Changed the axel now and the clicking and crazy steering wheel vibration is gone but the abnormal annoying clunking and rapid shaking of what i think is the shaft that runs from the torque converter to the center differential is making the noise. Idk if its a bearning or the shaft is wobbling or what but does anyone know a test or what i can do to pinpoint this before it breaks? Its starting to get really bad its sooo loud and the vibrations are gettin worse by the week! This is my DD please help!

tomoyer 11-30-2012 06:21 AM

Just a quick guess at your problem from what you have said, sounds like the center bearing and/or guibo are bad and it will get worse until they completely fall apart. These are on the main drive shaft and a PIA to inspect because you need to take the exhaust stem down and remove several covers.

jeepo23 11-30-2012 06:26 AM

This shaking you get, does it depend with climate? Or speed? RPM?

I have the same issue.. Replaced my rear axles.. still there. Mine happens between 2-2.5k rpm.. Also when its cold out.

GUIBO and CSB both replaced as well without any luck.

Im starting to believe its the subframe bushings that hold the differential in, which might be busted and have play in them now allowing the diff to move around.

Here is my thread on this vibration/jerk... lots of replies but nothing helped it.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=951154

SlimE46 12-03-2012 12:07 PM

My car does it usually when its cold out. Usually first drive of the morning on my way to work, lower rpms is really bad , very shakey and lots of rumble when accelerator is depressed, when i don't touch the gas it goes away

jeepo23 12-03-2012 12:10 PM

I hear ya. Hop into my thread and see some of the advice.

Couple of us are trying different things to see if this gets resolved.

In leaning towards a bushing because its affected by temperature or something with the axles (even tho I rebuild and changed my rear ones)

bmwbob89 12-03-2012 04:54 PM

Does it feel like your going over a rumble strip. If so its either a bad front axle or I've seen torque converters fail and do this.

SlimE46 12-03-2012 09:52 PM

Well i just replaced the front axel which was bad. The only way i can describe this in detail is as follows.

Sound: if you took two gears and spun them together, then on one gear took a bunch of teeth off of it and spun it together again. That chattery, break is what the sound is comparable too. Now add a little "rumble" from a fast rotation and thats exactly what it sounds like

Feel: when it happens, right under my seat or under my pedals it feels like a big ass rock is on a string swinging back and forth (left to right)

SlimE46 12-03-2012 10:10 PM

I really think its my transfer case fml...

SlimE46 12-03-2012 10:33 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=389924 my symptoms are exactly as described here. Only it does it when it feels like it..? I noticed today. In the morning it was pretty cold. Did it right away, then stopped for a second and drove normal. Then once i hit the highway it did it all the way to work. Then after work, it didnt do it for about 4 minutes worth of driving then all of a sudden bam! I hear the dreaded clunking and vibrations.

jeepo23 12-04-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwbob89 (Post 14948104)
Does it feel like your going over a rumble strip. If so its either a bad front axle or I've seen torque converters fail and do this.

Torque converter as in transfer case?
If it was a front axle you would feel it in the steering wheel, correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimE46 (Post 14949039)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=389924 my symptoms are exactly as described here. Only it does it when it feels like it..? I noticed today. In the morning it was pretty cold. Did it right away, then stopped for a second and drove normal. Then once i hit the highway it did it all the way to work. Then after work, it didnt do it for about 4 minutes worth of driving then all of a sudden bam! I hear the dreaded clunking and vibrations.

I believe you and I have different problems. You actually hear sounds? Did you change your fluids?

What's the mileage on your car?

Sean McClellan 12-04-2012 10:10 AM

Well now that makes 3 of us E46 XI owners who are experiencing the exact same phenomenon. Have you checked your transfer case input and output shafts for any play? (side to side, up and down)

miweber929 12-04-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McClellan (Post 14950034)
Well now that makes 3 of us E46 XI owners who are experiencing the exact same phenomenon. Have you checked your transfer case input and output shafts for any play? (side to side, up and down)

Make that 4, I am having the issues as well, hoping the shop will get back to me today with some ideas on what's up.

jeepo23 12-04-2012 12:55 PM

I got an idea.. everyone replace something different and their car and we see whose gets fixed.

1) Transfer case bushing
2) subframe bushings
3) new driveshaft or just rebalance old one
4) replace all 4 axles
5) put in a new torque converter

SlimE46 12-04-2012 01:58 PM

Fortunately for ALL of us, i happen to work at a BMW dealership. Im going to try and have a technician look at it today. But they also have been saying that for a while now hence why I'm posting on here instead... Smh. Ill let you guys know what the verdict is asap and maybe we can get this problem solved.

Derek325 12-05-2012 12:49 AM

My car as well. Just started a few days ago. Mine will only do it when driving over 50 mph and going up a hill around 2500 rpm. My front drive shaft out of the transfer case has a bit of play in it but I don't know that it is enough to cause the vibration. I am going to change the transfer case oil tomorrow and then remove the front drive shaft and take it for a drive to see if the vibration goes away. I will post my findings. In my car the vibration is at a higher frequency then the wheel speed which is why I am leaning toward it being in the transfer case or the front driveshaft.

miweber929 12-05-2012 06:39 AM

At this point the shop couldn't identify anything outwardly wrong, however they do think the transfer case case bushing may be completely failed and the carrier bearing is possibly suspect (though the guibo they said is in great condition).

They are getting a quote together on replacement of those and pulling the wheels to check balance and visually inspect wheel bearings and hubs today. Not sure if I'm happy nothing major jumped out or more pissed there is no clear fix and the consensus between 5 of us now is "no idea" and no fix.

I love this car, but the noises and feels it makes on trips and at higher highway speeds is annoying enough to sell the damn thing!

jeepo23 12-05-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek325 (Post 14952542)
My car as well. Just started a few days ago. Mine will only do it when driving over 50 mph and going up a hill around 2500 rpm. My front drive shaft out of the transfer case has a bit of play in it but I don't know that it is enough to cause the vibration. I am going to change the transfer case oil tomorrow and then remove the front drive shaft and take it for a drive to see if the vibration goes away. I will post my findings. In my car the vibration is at a higher frequency then the wheel speed which is why I am leaning toward it being in the transfer case or the front driveshaft.

If you have vibrations going up a hill its most likely your axles. Check your rear axle boots for tears or leaking grease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miweber929 (Post 14952840)
At this point the shop couldn't identify anything outwardly wrong, however they do think the transfer case case bushing may be completely failed and the carrier bearing is possibly suspect (though the guibo they said is in great condition).

They are getting a quote together on replacement of those and pulling the wheels to check balance and visually inspect wheel bearings and hubs today. Not sure if I'm happy nothing major jumped out or more pissed there is no clear fix and the consensus between 5 of us now is "no idea" and no fix.

I love this car, but the noises and feels it makes on trips and at higher highway speeds is annoying enough to sell the damn thing!

Well you and I have a busted transfer case bushing in common. Maybe that is the culprit after all.

With my since its affected with tempature it could very well be?

Derek325 12-05-2012 09:06 PM

Well, I removed the front driveshaft tonight to see if I could drive it without, but the front output shaft flange just slides into the t case so that was a no go. I changed the t case fluid anyways and went for a drive after work and no vibrations. Problem solved or just didn't do it today? Time will tell.

Derek

jeepo23 12-07-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek325 (Post 14955300)
Well, I removed the front driveshaft tonight to see if I could drive it without, but the front output shaft flange just slides into the t case so that was a no go. I changed the t case fluid anyways and went for a drive after work and no vibrations. Problem solved or just didn't do it today? Time will tell.

Derek

Hate to say it but I think that was just coincidence. Maybe the temperature wasn't as cold but I'm sure your going to get your vibration again.

Any luck with you other guys on findings?

wvBimmer3Series 12-07-2012 06:41 PM

Noise Here Too

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimE46 (Post 14950717)
Fortunately for ALL of us, i happen to work at a BMW dealership. Im going to try and have a technician look at it today. But they also have been saying that for a while now hence why I'm posting on here instead... Smh. Ill let you guys know what the verdict is asap and maybe we can get this problem solved.

Did you find out any possible cause?